Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is ordination of women to be Pastors [Overseer/Bishop] orthodox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is ordination of women to be Pastors [Overseer/Bishop] orthodox?

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
    Not a fan of Carm's definition of Unorthodox as I believe in Ordination of women is practical for many churches
    Two questions: What is incorrect about CARM's definition of what is Unorthodox? On what bases is the making of women to become Pastors orthodox?
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

How about a link to CARM's definition of Unorthodox? I looked around at the site and couldn't find one.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      How about a link to CARM's definition of Unorthodox? I looked around at the site and couldn't find one.
      Click on Catholicity's quote in the opening post and you can see the initial discussion. Basically, here the issue is merely that they consider the ordination of women as pastors to be unorthodox.
      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

The first place to affirm a Woman's Role in the beginning of the Church's Ministry is in the Book of Acts.
        Originally posted by Acts1:12-14
        12 Then they returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a Sabbath day's journey away. 13 And when they had entered, they went up to the upper room, where they were staying, Peter and John and James and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot and Judas the son of James. 14 All these with one accord were devoting themselves to prayer, together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and his brothers.
        We should never be too Hasty to forget that women and of Course Blessed Mother Mary begin here by praying in one accord in the upper room near pentecost. This of course signifying the beginning of the Church. Men and Women alike praying over the start of the ministry of Jesus when the Holy Spirit comes.
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

1 Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
            Click on Catholicity's quote in the opening post and you can see the initial discussion. Basically, here the issue is merely that they consider the ordination of women as pastors to be unorthodox.
            I am confused. What I saw there was CARM's description of the WWCG's view of orthodoxy. That is not CARM giving their own.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

In reference to female authority figures within the early church, Mark Goodacre has a terrific (8 minute) podcast episode on the Apostle Junia mentioned in Romans 16:7.

Comment

OK, get your rocks and stones ready.....

1 Tim 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  OK, get your rocks and stones ready.....

1 Tim 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

Comment

Once I understood where the link was, that's what I saw, too. Does CARM give a statement of Orthodoxy?
                    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by dacristoy View Post
                      Thanks. I needed that.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

In addition to the reference to the Apostle Junia that Romans gives there is also a greeting to Pheobe
                        Originally posted by Romans 16:1
                        I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a servant[a] of the church at Cenchreae, 2 that you may welcome her in the Lord in a way worthy of the saints, and help her in whatever she may need from you, for she has been a patron of many and of myself as well.
                        And Prisca (english Priscilla) the wife of Aquila beginning in Romans 16:3 who had and lead both a house Church here
                        Originally posted by Romans 16:3-5
                        3 Greet Prisca and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus, 4 who risked their necks for my life, to whom not only I give thanks but all the churches of the Gentiles give thanks as well. 5 Greet also the church in their house.
                        Now Cow Poke, I respect you as a pastor...but here is an example of a woman and her husband BOTH leading a church.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

May have read Carm wrong, but now I get to go onto a new theology topic
                          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                            INow Cow Poke, I respect you as a pastor...but here is an example of a woman and her husband BOTH leading a church.
                            Were they co-pastors?

Comment

The question is if it's "orthodox". Does this violate any major creed?

I know that's not the end-be-all, because creeds also don't say anything about, say, sexual ethics. But "unorthodox" implies a major breach.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X