Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Biblical arguments against the existence of angels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biblical arguments against the existence of angels?

I know that Spurgeon for one believed that there was no such person as Michael the Archangel, that this was only another name for (pre-Incarnate?) Christ. I know George Lamsa also didn't believe in angels, for instance rendering Hebrews 13:2 as "pious men." Though I know Lamsa is kind of sketchy as a source.

This all got me thinking as to whether "Gabriel" and other "angels" are really in the Bible separately from God, either. What are some arguments for and against such an idea?

Right off the bat, it doesn't seem possible to completely write Satan* out of the Bible. Discounting Job 1 as the later forgery I've heard it argued to be and then also discounting the alleged "Lucifer passages" of Isaiah and Ezekiel- Even if Revelation 12:4 and the Temptation in the desert were both "metaphorical" in some way, Luke 10:18 still seems inescapable. Could that verse and Luke 22:31 still just represent some kind of metaphor for human darkness?

Revelation 22:9 is the only argument against it that I can think of. The "angel" does compare itself to the Prophets and Apostles, though. Could that indicate that this is actually some human servant of God (whether dead of alive)?

The only references to angels (including Hebrews 13:2?) in the Bible could all be Theopanies or Christophanies, which is how I'd explain Gabriel. The "one like the son of man" in Daniel 7 might rule this out, as I'd like to say for the argument that Daniel's vision allows us to put different portrayals of God side by side in a vision, but I know not all scholars consider the one like the son of man to be Christ. According to the NET Bible commentary, some scholars see this figure as Michael (erhem) and some see this figure as the people of God corporately.

*Yes, I know that I'm making the assumption that Satan should really be called an "angel." But even if he is a "nacash" or subordinate god or whatever, that would still make him a non-human, non-God spiritual being- an angel by any other name or the purposes of this thread.
    O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
    I know that Spurgeon for one believed that there was no such person as Michael the Archangel, that this was only another name for (pre-Incarnate?) Christ. I know George Lamsa also didn't believe in angels, for instance rendering Hebrews 13:2 as "pious men." Though I know Lamsa is kind of sketchy as a source.

This all got me thinking as to whether "Gabriel" and other "angels" are really in the Bible separately from God, either. What are some arguments for and against such an idea?

Right off the bat, it doesn't seem possible to completely write Satan* out of the Bible. Discounting Job 1 as the later forgery I've heard it argued to be and then also discounting the alleged "Lucifer passages" of Isaiah and Ezekiel- Even if Revelation 12:4 and the Temptation in the desert were both "metaphorical" in some way, Luke 10:18 still seems inescapable. Could that verse and Luke 22:31 still just represent some kind of metaphor for human darkness?

Revelation 22:9 is the only argument against it that I can think of. The "angel" does compare itself to the Prophets and Apostles, though. Could that indicate that this is actually some human servant of God (whether dead of alive)?

The only references to angels (including Hebrews 13:2?) in the Bible could all be Theopanies or Christophanies, which is how I'd explain Gabriel. The "one like the son of man" in Daniel 7 might rule this out, as I'd like to say for the argument that Daniel's vision allows us to put different portrayals of God side by side in a vision, but I know not all scholars consider the one like the son of man to be Christ. According to the NET Bible commentary, some scholars see this figure as Michael (erhem) and some see this figure as the people of God corporately.

*Yes, I know that I'm making the assumption that Satan should really be called an "angel." But even if he is a "nacash" or subordinate god or whatever, that would still make him a non-human, non-God spiritual being- an angel by any other name or the purposes of this thread.
    Why on earth would one want to argue against the existence of angels?

Comment

Lamsa was obsessed with the idea that God be the only true source of life and power and thought angels somehow detract from this. I don't buy it but I do sympathize with those who want to take away any possible object of heavenly glory other than God. Angels can sometimes be a source of temptation to idolatry, as John found out.
      O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

Comment

Lamsa was obsessed with the idea that God be the only true source of life and power and thought angels somehow detract from this. I don't buy it but I do sympathize with those who want to take away any possible object of heavenly glory other than God. Angels can sometimes be a source of temptation to idolatry, as John found out.
        It is utterly ridiculous:

Problem: X can be treated as an idol
        Solution: Deny the existence of X

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
          It is utterly ridiculous:

Problem: X can be treated as an idol
          Solution: Deny the existence of X

I agree. It is quite irrational to worship an angel. But people are dumb and fallible. From a practical standpoint, it would be nice to clear away as many potential distractions as possible.

Besides, angels are completely superfluous. God doesn't need them for anything and He already has human beings to worship Him.

Comment

I think the topic of angels is one of the most misunderstood and abused topics in our times. I keep running into people who think when we die we become angels.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I blame that crappy Country song.

Comment

I blame that crappy Country song.
                ... and shows like "touched by an angel", "heaven can wait", hymnology, bad preaching, bad teaching...

(and, as much as I hate to admit it, my favorite movie - It's a Wonderful Life )
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Àngel means messager. Whether men or spirit beings. Evangelist is two Greek words meaning good angel/messager.
                  . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

The Bible itself mentions the idea that people can be tempted to worship angels. In Revelation, even John admitted to bowing down to an angel (who quickly stopped him). But clearly John didn't see this as a good enough reason to dispose of the idea of angels. (Incidentally, I have no idea how one could take the idea of the dictating angel in Revelation to be metaphorical.)
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Besides, angels are completely superfluous. God doesn't need them for anything and He already has human beings to worship Him.
                      God does not need human beings either. I fail to understand this point.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                        Àngel means messager. Whether men or spirit beings. Evangelist is two Greek words meaning good angel/messager.
                        I know that. My question is, does the Bible actually mention spiritual beings other than God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          God does not need human beings either. I fail to understand this point.
                          He doesn't need us in the absolute sense, but we're crucial to His plan to create beings that can freely love Him. He doesn't need angels when He's got us, is my point. See my response to truthseeker for the rest of my reasoning.

Comment

I know that. My question is, does the Bible actually mention spiritual beings other than God?
                            Hebrews 1:7, "And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, . . ." Psalm 104, "Who maketh his angels spirits; . . ." Psalm 103:21, ". . . Bless ye the LORD, all [ye] his hosts; [ye] ministers of his, . . ." Hebrews 1:14. ". . . Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?"
                            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                              Hebrews 1:7, "And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, . . ." Psalm 104, "Who maketh his angels spirits; . . ." Psalm 103:21, ". . . Bless ye the LORD, all [ye] his hosts; [ye] ministers of his, . . ." Hebrews 1:14. ". . . Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?"
                              Yes, I admit that passages like this seem pretty inescapable.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X