Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Forced Conversions Split

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Forced Conversions Split

    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    such forced conversions go directly against the teachings of Christ
    How? Christ never prohibited forced conversions. You can derive that from His other teachings but it's hardly direct.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

    There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    How? Christ never prohibited forced conversions. You can derive that from His other teachings but it's hardly direct.
    Shake the dust off your feet and leave.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      Shake the dust off your feet and leave.
      Was forced conversion a realistic option?
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

      There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        How? Christ never prohibited forced conversions. You can derive that from His other teachings but it's hardly direct.
        John 3:16. You can force people to say things but you cannot force them to believe. Belief, not verbal acknowledgement, is critical and therefore forced conversions are indeed in direct opposition to Christ's teaching.

        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


        "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

        My Personal Blog

        My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          You can force people to say things but you cannot force them to believe.
          What people believe can be quite flexible. It's obvious forced conversion does lead to genuine belief, especially across generations.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

          There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            What people believe can be quite flexible. It's obvious forced conversion does lead to genuine belief, especially across generations.
            No, it just leads to a pretense of belief, while the suppressed belief gets passed down in secret, even across generations. Christianity, for example, was suppressed in Japan for 4 centuries (on pain of death), yet was still being passed down. There is evidence of secret Jews coming to light even today after yet longer time periods.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              No, it just leads to a pretense of belief, while the suppressed belief gets passed down in secret, even across generations. Christianity, for example, was suppressed in Japan for 4 centuries (on pain of death), yet was still being passed down. There is evidence of secret Jews coming to light even today after yet longer time periods.
              Yeah that's why there's still all those pagans around Europe.

              Just because some families don't end up converted doesn't mean that's the norm.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

              There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                Yeah that's why there's still all those pagans around Europe.

                Just because some families don't end up converted doesn't mean that's the norm.
                Oh, you think those were forced conversions. People tended to do what the king did, at least eventually. And (pagan) Rome had a thing about targeting druids, which didn't help the survivability of the indigenous religions.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Oh, you think those were forced conversions. People tended to do what the king did, at least eventually. And (pagan) Rome had a thing about targeting druids, which didn't help the survivability of the indigenous religions.
                  Roman emperors progressively outlawed paganism. I think the idea that forced conversion doesn't work is magical thinking that developed in the west once liberal ideas started permeating society.


                  As an aside, where the heck is my strike tag? Snark is a lot harder without it.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

                  There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                    Roman emperors progressively outlawed paganism. I think the idea that forced conversion doesn't work is magical thinking that developed in the west once liberal ideas started permeating society.
                    Conversion in Europe was to a large degree token. The great cathedrals were never filled, most people simply gave lip service to Christianity. That is still true today.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      Conversion in Europe was to a large degree token. The great cathedrals were never filled, most people simply gave lip service to Christianity. That is still true today.
                      I don't believe that for a second.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

                      There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

                      Comment

                      Related Threads

                      Collapse

                      Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by FarEastBird, 09-02-2020, 11:39 AM
                      83 responses
                      568 views
                      0 likes
                      Last Post footwasher  
                      Started by lee_merrill, 06-29-2020, 06:29 PM
                      219 responses
                      2,339 views
                      0 likes
                      Last Post footwasher  
                      Started by Esther, 08-30-2019, 12:42 PM
                      72 responses
                      11,033 views
                      0 likes
                      Last Post footwasher  
                      Working...
                      X