Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Can G-d do anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dacristoy View Post
    1. Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.
    But with God all things are possible. How do we logically define “all things?” What provisions are made by scripture for “except this or that”
    Well, for a start, evil comes from man (or from the devil), but not from God. James 1:13-20. It's false representation to blame our sins and temptations on God.

13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.16 Do not err, my beloved brethren. 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. 18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures. 19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: 20For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

Comment

Originally posted by NoBibleEqualsSinner View Post
      Well, for a start, evil comes from man (or from the devil), but not from God. James 1:13-20. It's false representation to blame our sins and temptations on God.
      Could you reconcile the following passage with your above comment.
      1. Isaiah 45:7
      I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.
      13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.16 Do not err, my beloved brethren. 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. 18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures. 19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: 20For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.
      Not sure how your post fits in with the conversation (Context) of what is being discussed...

Comment

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.
        This is (Metonymy), in light of James 1, Isaiah 40:28, scripture interpreting scripture, etc.

Not sure how your post fits in with the conversation (Context) of what is being discussed...
        I was responding to your post (#12).
        Last edited by NoBibleEqualsSinner; 07-06-2014, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by NoBibleEqualsSinner View Post
          Originally Posted by dacristoy View Post
          I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.[QUOTE=NoBibleEqualsSinner;75613]This is (Metonymy), in light of James 1, Isaiah 40:28, scripture interpreting scripture, etc.
          Originally posted by response NBES
          This is (Metonymy), in light of James 1, Isaiah 40:28, scripture interpreting scripture, etc.
          I found nothing in either James 1, or Isaiah 40:28 that would render the above passage as Metomony. Perhaps you could take the time to show me how either of these passages interpret Isaiah 45:7.
          Last edited by dacristoy; 07-12-2014, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Avraham Ibn Ezra View Post
            The question often comes to me as to whether Hakodesh Baruch Hu הקב״ה(G-d) can do anything? Can G-d do anything no matter what it is?
            Maimonides: Guide for the Perplexed 3:15

Likewise it is impossible that G-d should produce a being like Himself, or destroy Himself, or make Himself physical, or change Himself – all of these things are in the category of the impossible, and cannot be attributed to G-d . . . It has become clear then that, according to every opinion and school, there are things which are impossible and which cannot exist. The power to bring about these impossible things cannot be ascribed to G-d. The fact that He cannot change them does not imply inability or deficiency of power on His part.

Please discuss and debate. Enjoy!
            You're coming from a Jewish perspective means that I as a Christian will differ with you by definition and degree without diverging from that which is logically impossible with God, hopefully. I'm seeing Maimonides as presenting an argument against Christ's deity as expressed within Christianity in the parts bolded in you're above quote. If this was to be the topic of conversation and debate you desire please be specific. I'm not wanting to waste your time or drag this thread down a rabbit trail if you didn't. If you did our current responses may need to be redirected.

Comment

Originally posted by NoBibleEqualsSinner View Post
              God can do whatever He wants. He's God, but that doesn't mean He will ever stop being the King of Heaven and Earth.
              Then according to your argument G-d will not want to cease being the King of Heaven and Earth. And from that stand point that G-d will not, therefore what G-d will not, He cannot. Therefore G-d cannot do anything contrary to His own will. G-d is limited by His own will.
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

God cannot do anything illogical.

Comment

Originally posted by ikaika777 View Post
                  God cannot do anything illogical.
                  Is G-d subordinate to logic? Does logic need G-d?
                  . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X