Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

I'm Saved. Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Saved. Now What?

I'm splitting this out the 2 1/2 minute video thread lest I get Cow Poked.

In the thread, I said if I did a video it would be "I'm Saved. Now What?" As I think about it, I'm not sure what I would even put into that video. The answer I've picked up over the years seems to be "Go keep doing what you're doing and just add a church attendance, prayer, and Bible Study to your life." That seems woefully inadequate to me and also seems to ignore many verses like Luke 14:26: "If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters - yes, even their own life - such a person cannot be my disciple."

I'm at a loss on this. What points would you put into the video?
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

It's the beginning of a relationship, not a religion.
    It's a relationship with Jesus Christ, and your new brothers and sisters.

I always recommend new Christians read 1 Peter, which I refer to as "A Christian Disciple's Manual".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Get plugged into a local bible-believing bible-teaching church, and get involved.

Don't fall into the trap of "I can be an undercover Christian" or "I can be a Christian all by myself".
      And probably one of the simplest and most trustworthy pieces of advice -- don't be hearers of the Word only, but be a DOER.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What about people who don't have a decent church nearby?
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          That's probably worth a thread by itself.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

"Get to know God", would be my counsel. And we know him primarily, through obedience.

“So let us know, let us press on to know the LORD.
            His going forth is as certain as the dawn;
            And He will come to us like the rain,
            Like the spring rain watering the earth.” (Hosea 6:3)

Blessings,
            Lee
            "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

I would advise reading the bible and looking into the works of C.S Lewis William Lane Craig Ravi Zacharias and such.

Find people in church who will wonder how things are going and are willing to learn and such alongside you.

You are a ton soldier becoming flesh. It is going to be strange uncomfortable and the rewards are not always seen on this side of eternity.
              sigpic

Comment

well I was already going to church when I got saved, so the first thing I did was get baptized.

Then I sat down and started reading the bible. At first I just read the New Testament from start to finish. Then I started on the OT. I have to admit I skipped over a lot there, like all of the begats, ecclesiastes, song of songs, and proverbs and psalms. I just wanted the story.

Then I started going to bible study. And I got books on Christianity like CS Lewis Mere Christianity and Norman Geislar, and Lee Strobel

Then I got on line and at the time started on usenet alt.religion.christianity - after a while I found JP Holding's writings and then theologyweb.

oh. and

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  Start one. Or find somebody who can.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Start one. Or find somebody who can.
                    In another thread, I half jokingly said that thoughtful monk should contact the NAMB to get a good church planted, so he has a good church to go to.
                    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                      I'm splitting this out the 2 1/2 minute video thread lest I get Cow Poked.

In the thread, I said if I did a video it would be "I'm Saved. Now What?" As I think about it, I'm not sure what I would even put into that video. The answer I've picked up over the years seems to be "Go keep doing what you're doing and just add a church attendance, prayer, and Bible Study to your life."
                      As you grow in grace and Christian maturity, you may find that some of the things you were doing aren't pleasing to the Lord and you wouldn't want to keep on doing those things. And there would be other things which are pleasing to the Lord that you would want to do. I go to church and take part in church activity, read Scripture, etsc., not because I'm supposed to, but because I want to and enjoy doing it.

As for getting Cow Poked, spouting a lot of bull could result in that.
                      When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                        As you grow in grace and Christian maturity, you may find that some of the things you were doing aren't pleasing to the Lord and you wouldn't want to keep on doing those things. And there would be other things which are pleasing to the Lord that you would want to do. I go to church and take part in church activity, read Scripture, etsc., not because I'm supposed to, but because I want to and enjoy doing it.

As for getting Cow Poked, spouting a lot of bull could result in that.
                        This is what I was trying to explain to JimL and Tassman in another thread. They keep talking about Christians being able to sin with impunity since all sins are forgiven so they think being saved is like a get out of jail free card. Being Christian is more than saying a magic prayer and getting to keep living your live as before. It is a commitment to God. It is making Jesus our LORD and our savior. Wanting to stop sinning but it is a process of sanctification and growth.

I think that is something that new believers need to understand. It is a commitment to a new life and Lord, and a process of growth and learning.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Get plugged into a local bible-believing bible-teaching church, and get involved.

Don't fall into the trap of "I can be an undercover Christian" or "I can be a Christian all by myself".
                          And probably one of the simplest and most trustworthy pieces of advice -- don't be hearers of the Word only, but be a DOER.
                          Agreed. Now if I could find one of those legendary Bible believing Bible teaching churches, I'd be there and involved.

I get being a doer of the Word and it involves many different aspects. Seems though if I don't have the right attitude, I could get myself trapped in the Social Gospel. How does one be a doer of the Word without becoming so "heavenly minded to be of no earthly use" or "so earthly minded to be of no heavenly use"?

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                            "Get to know God", would be my counsel. And we know him primarily, through obedience.

“So let us know, let us press on to know the LORD.
                            His going forth is as certain as the dawn;
                            And He will come to us like the rain,
                            Like the spring rain watering the earth.” (Hosea 6:3)

Blessings,
                            Lee
                            Would you kindly expand on your response? You seem to be coming from a place of more maturity on this than me and I can't grasp your answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                              Would you kindly expand on your response?
                              I think knowing the Lord is the pearl of great price (Mt. 13:45-46), see Paul here:

"But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things." (Phil. 3:7-8)

And as far as knowing the Lord through obedience:

I would go near thee—but I cannot press

Into thy presence—it helps not to presume.

Thy doors are deeds; the handles are their doing.

He whose day-life is obedient righteousness,

Who, after failure, or a poor success,

Rises up, stronger effort yet renewing—

He finds thee, Lord, at length, in his own common room.

- George MacDonald, "Diary of an Old Soul"

Blessings,
                              Lee
                              "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X