Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

I'm Saved. Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    Agreed. Now if I could find one of those legendary Bible believing Bible teaching churches, I'd be there and involved.

I get being a doer of the Word and it involves many different aspects. Seems though if I don't have the right attitude, I could get myself trapped in the Social Gospel. How does one be a doer of the Word without becoming so "heavenly minded to be of no earthly use" or "so earthly minded to be of no heavenly use"?
    That's actually a discussion worth having. I USED to think there were two kinds of Churches -- the Evangelical and the Social Gospel. Can't be both.

Then, about 30 years ago, I began asking "why not?" While the "social gospel" churches don't seem interested in the Evangelical mission - why can't my "Evangelicalism" get involved in social gospel ministry.
    So, we have. And do. And will.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The greatest commandments are to love God with all that you are and love your neighbor as yourself.
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Start one. Or find somebody who can.
        Having spent a couple years with a church plant that failed, that's a lot of effort and time. As much as I miss church, it's just something I don't have the energy or time to do at this point in my life.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

That's actually a discussion worth having. I USED to think there were two kinds of Churches -- the Evangelical and the Social Gospel. Can't be both.

Then, about 30 years ago, I began asking "why not?" While the "social gospel" churches don't seem interested in the Evangelical mission - why can't my "Evangelicalism" get involved in social gospel ministry.
          So, we have. And do. And will.
          I agree. When the office of deacons was created in the book of Acts, the apostle said they were doing this to be able to focus on prayer and the Word. I don't want to make this a hierarchy and say prayer and the Word are more important than care for other people. We definitely need both ministries in a church. I think part of the point being made in Acts is to not lose your connection with God. As a write this, I seem to paralleling the story of Mary and Martha and how Mary chose the ultimate better. I also don't think those efforts can make heaven on earth. I think the best that can happen is stalling the inevitable destruction of earth and humanity which will continue until Jesus comes in the second coming.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

It's the beginning of a relationship, not a religion.
            It's a relationship with Jesus Christ, and your new brothers and sisters.

I always recommend new Christians read 1 Peter, which I refer to as "A Christian Disciple's Manual".
            Thanks for the referral. I had a chance to read it over the weekend. You're right, it really is "A Christian Disciple's Manual." I was surprised at the number of Christian catch phrases in it. I appreciated it's references to suffering. Thanks again.

Comment

Don't let him get to you, CBW.
              Amen to that.

What is amazing is how he get's all threads to eventually to be about him. I posted on this thread and it's now it's buried in discussions around him. He's the Donald Trump of TWeb - everything is about him.

Comment

Moderated By: Sparko

I moved Chiefsinners derail to this thread:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...reation-derail

All users, please use that thread to discuss Chiefsinner's topic. Chiefsinner, please do not post in this thread any longer.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Comment

Thanks for the referral. I had a chance to read it over the weekend. You're right, it really is "A Christian Disciple's Manual." I was surprised at the number of Christian catch phrases in it. I appreciated it's references to suffering. Thanks again.
                  If I might make another suggestion.... read it one more time after really thinking about who Peter is.
                  For example, when he says "watch and pray", I can't help but think that he had in mind the time he and James and John were asked by Jesus to "watch and pray" and they fell asleep.
                  When he talks about John Mark toward the end of the book, that John Mark was "restored" by Paul (he is profitable to me) just like Peter was restored by Jesus (feed my lambs) in John 21.

I think MUCH of Peter's teachings in 1 Peter is based on his own life, failures, restorations, and Christ's assurance to him that he's still a valuable member of the team.
                  I particularly think about the tomb and "go tell the disciples AND PETER...."

I just can't help but believe that Peter isn't just "giving good advice", but, in many cases, reliving his own experiences with Christ, having been restored and having found a better way through Christ.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If I might make another suggestion.... read it one more time after really thinking about who Peter is.
                    For example, when he says "watch and pray", I can't help but think that he had in mind the time he and James and John were asked by Jesus to "watch and pray" and they fell asleep.
                    When he talks about John Mark toward the end of the book, that John Mark was "restored" by Paul (he is profitable to me) just like Peter was restored by Jesus (feed my lambs) in John 21.

I think MUCH of Peter's teachings in 1 Peter is based on his own life, failures, restorations, and Christ's assurance to him that he's still a valuable member of the team.
                    I particularly think about the tomb and "go tell the disciples AND PETER...."

I just can't help but believe that Peter isn't just "giving good advice", but, in many cases, reliving his own experiences with Christ, having been restored and having found a better way through Christ.
                    I agree about Peter. How could not have all those experiences with Christ and not put them in his writings?

I've seen the same in 1st John. With John and how he talks about dark and light, the Transfiguration must have been a very important event in his life.

Comment

I agree about Peter. How could not have all those experiences with Christ and not put them in his writings?

I've seen the same in 1st John. With John and how he talks about dark and light, the Transfiguration must have been a very important event in his life.
                      I love how John begins 1st John --- as a WITNESS, as if testifying in court - we have HEARD, SEEN, and HANDLED with our hands...

And, the fact that (in the mouths of 2 or 3 witnesses....) Peter, James and John (the inner circle) were there to see, hear, and report on the Transfiguration.

Comment

What's the orgin of the saying, "Love God with all that you are and then do as you will"(Saint Augustine?)? Because if you have your relationship with God right, you will treat your fellow image bearers and the rest of creation right.
                        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X