Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Your 2 1/2 minute "how to be saved" video...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    But what has happened to repentance and faith? Well, repentance is primarily turning from sin, and turning to God, is it not? Seeking the Lord would involved turning to God, and turning from sin. And obedience is the practical expression of faith, we can't say we believe the Lord, and not trust him, and not obey him.

I have been puzzled in the past by the sermon illustration of faith, which talks about the tightrope walker taking a sack of potatoes across a river, and asking the crowd "Who believes I can do this with a person in a wheelbarrow?" And then asking for a volunteer! So faith is getting in the wheelbarrow, but it didn't seem clear what that meant, practically. i would say here that getting in the wheelbarrow is tantamount to obedience, to get to know the Lord, to know his voice, and follow him.

Blessings,
    Lee
    Modern therapy has eliminated most people's sense of conscious and thus no sin and no need for repentance. The way modern science is applied has eliminated faith because everything can be explained. That's why I would start with a relationship with God and let that bring in the conviction and repentance.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      Modern therapy has eliminated most people's sense of conscious and thus no sin and no need for repentance. The way modern science is applied has eliminated faith because everything can be explained. That's why I would start with a relationship with God and let that bring in the conviction and repentance.

Repentance, meta noia, changing mind, here is with regard to switching loyalty from serving self interest to serving God.

We can see this illustrated in the incidents involving Rahab and Nicodemus.

Joshua 2:11When we heard of it, our hearts melted in fear and everyone's courage failed because of you, for the LORD your God is God in heaven above and on the earth.

1Now there was a Pharisee, a man named Nicodemus who was a member of the Jewish ruling council. 2He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.”

They saw the privilege that Joshua and Jesus had, having a vocation, job, that paid with wages that did not rust or perish, living the eternal type life, being a blessing to the world, subduing creation, turning people to God, just as they had been turned.

Comment

I liked your little video at the end of the sermon, CP.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I liked your little video at the end of the sermon, CP.
          Thanks!

I was horrified when I got home and watched it, that I used the version where I forgot to trim the END of the recorded video.... where I got up out of the chair IN MY SHORTS, and walked around to stop recording.
          Fortunately, I was able to "trim" the Facebook video, so it ends rather abruptly.

I had a shirt and tie on, and SHORTS.

(I had trimmed off the "intro" that I had used the previous Sunday, but forgot to trim the ending)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Thanks!

I was horrified when I got home and watched it, that I used the version where I forgot to trim the END of the recorded video.... where I got up out of the chair IN MY SHORTS, and walked around to stop recording.
            Fortunately, I was able to "trim" the Facebook video, so it ends rather abruptly.

I had a shirt and tie on, and SHORTS.

(I had trimmed off the "intro" that I had used the previous Sunday, but forgot to trim the ending)
            seems like you are in good company: https://www.bizjournals.com/bizwomen....html?page=all

Comment

seems like you are in good company: https://www.bizjournals.com/bizwomen....html?page=all
              I woulda thought that percentage would have been a lot higher.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                I woulda thought that percentage would have been a lot higher.
                That's just the ones who have been caught or will admit it.

Comment

That's just the ones who have been caught or will admit it.
                  There ya go!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X