Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Your 2 1/2 minute "how to be saved" video...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Why not make something like a powerpoint (then film it) of the Roman Road? You could show graphics and bullet points of verses while you talk in the background, then switch to a view of you inviting them to pray with you to accept Jesus, then contact you or a local church to get baptized and join a fellowship of believers

We have a page here on tweb on how to get saved.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...lvationmessage
    The powerpoint is a great idea. Maybe the content needs updating? I've made several posts, indicating that the problem is a lack of vocation, working for treasure that perishes, caused by not believing God's claim that He can save from danger, unlike Caleb. Do you find any holes in the theory, considering Abraham and Christ were also obedient to God's voice, when tested?

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefsinner View Post
      The powerpoint is a great idea. Maybe the content needs updating? I've made several posts, indicating that the problem is a lack of vocation, working for treasure that perishes, caused by not believing God's claim that He can save from danger, unlike Caleb. Do you find any holes in the theory, considering Abraham and Christ were also obedient to God's voice, when tested?
      Yeah, it's all Christianese. It use to be you could assume in the US that the person you talk to has some Christian knowledge. You can't make that assumption anymore. While what you say is true, speaking it to someone who has no Christian understanding to work with is like speaking Japanese to someone who only speaks Spanish.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        In another thread, we're discussing this...

I have been wanting to add a "how to be saved" video to my Church's morning livestream - something to play at the end of the service.

What all would you include in a "how to get saved" video, keeping it to 2 to 2 1/2 minutes?
        Here are my quick bullet points:
        • God Exists. (Sad commentary on today's society that you have to establish the point.)
        • We do our best when we are in relationship with God.
        • The relationship is broken due to our sins.
        • We need to ask God to forgive our sins and restore the relationship.

I know there's more detail but you're already at 30 seconds a point.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

So, I was talking to a friend of mine from another social platform about the "2 1/2 minute video". He provided some critique, then got kinda quiet. I asked if there was a problem, and he asked me "do I need to do that?"

"Do what?", I asked. He said "do I need to pray that prayer"? I told him only he can know that, then he told me "I'm at work, and can't talk right now, but I might need to do that".

wow
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
            Yeah, it's all Christianese. It use to be you could assume in the US that the person you talk to has some Christian knowledge. You can't make that assumption anymore. While what you say is true, speaking it to someone who has no Christian understanding to work with is like speaking Japanese to someone who only speaks Spanish.
            Actually, when we talk about lack of vocation, it's a universal point of reference, applicable to Christians as well as non-Christians. it's not a coincidence that Paul approached the Stoics and the Epicureans, on Mars Hill. He knew his message would appeal to them. These thinkers are recognised as the precursors of modern existential philosophers, who also teach life has no meaning, no goals, no purpose.

When you talk about heaven, it draws a blank, because they will tell you there is no scientific evidence of life after death. Worldviews based on faith receive a similar response, since there is no evidence about their claims, but new theological approaches offer evidence, actual, visible transformation in the lives of believers. We may ask if the average person on the street, Joe Public, ever thinks about these issues, but it's not rocket science. Often, when forced to slow down (pandemic! calling in sick!), everybody thinks about these things.

Lots of opportunities have opened up, with better understanding of Scripture. The harvest is plentiful, the laborers are few. Therefore, pray...
            Last edited by footwasher; 08-20-2020, 08:51 AM.

Comment

~We are all going to die one day.
              ~Christians believe that when they die their last breath on earth will be followed by their next breath in heaven.
              ~They will get perfect new bodies that will never get tired or sick or old or die, they will reunite with their Christian loved ones and live in unending eternal bliss, being creative, productive and enjoying fellowship with Jesus and the angels and all the saints and animals in heaven.
              ~Christians believe the story of Jesus found only in the Bible.
              ~How God the Father in heaven sent Jesus down to earth, to be born as a human.
              ~As Jesus grew up, he went about doing good, healing all who were sick and deformed and oppressed by the devil.
              ~When he was about 33 years old, Jesus was arrested even though he had done nothing wrong, and was tortured and beaten and spat upon. The Roman soldiers nailed his hands and feet to a cross and crucified him. He suffered an excruciating death.
              ~Three days after his burial he was resurrected from the dead and showed himself alive in his resurrected body for 40 days on earth after his resurrection.
              ~He then ascended into heaven and is going to come to earth again to judge the living and the dead and to create a new heaven and a new earth.
              ~Christians believe that they need forgiveness for their sins and that the only way this can be achieved is if they believe that Jesus suffered and bled and died for them, and that he rose again from the dead and is in heaven now, alive and well.
              ~When Christians say they are saved, they mean saved from death, hell and the grave. This is why Christians can be full of joy no matter what happens on earth. Christians want as many people to go to heaven too and are often mocked for their attempts to try to get non Christians to also believe in Jesus. Christians often carry deep sadness for their family and friends and others who do not believe in Jesus because Christians believe these will go to hell.
              ~Would you like to become a Christian?

A bit long I think but maybe some things can be useful?
              Last edited by Esther; 08-20-2020, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post
                ~We are all going to die one day.
                ~Christians believe that when they die their last breath on earth will be followed by their next breath in heaven.
                ~They will get perfect new bodies that will never get tired or sick or old or die, they will reunite with their Christian loved ones and live in unending eternal bliss, being creative, productive and enjoying fellowship with Jesus and the angels and all the saints and animals in heaven.
                ~Christians believe the story of Jesus found only in the Bible.
                ~How God the Father in heaven sent Jesus down to earth, to be born as a human.
                ~As Jesus grew up, he went about doing good, healing all who were sick and deformed and oppressed by the devil.
                ~When he was about 33 years old, Jesus was arrested even though he had done nothing wrong, and was tortured and beaten and spat upon. The Roman soldiers nailed his hands and feet to a cross and crucified him. He suffered an excruciating death.
                ~Three days after his burial he was resurrected from the dead and showed himself alive in his resurrected body for 40 days on earth after his resurrection.
                ~He then ascended into heaven and is going to come to earth again to judge the living and the dead and to create a new heaven and a new earth.
                ~Christians believe that they need forgiveness for their sins and that the only way this can be achieved is if they believe that Jesus suffered and bled and died for them, and that he rose again from the dead and is in heaven now, alive and well.
                ~When Christians say they are saved, they mean saved from death, hell and the grave. This is why Christians can be full of joy no matter what happens on earth. Christians want as many people to go to heaven too and are often mocked for their attempts to try to get non Christians to also believe in Jesus. Christians often carry deep sadness for their family and friends and others who do not believe in Jesus will go to hell.
                ~Would you like to become a Christian?

A bit long I think but maybe some things can be useful?
                It helps to kick around a bunch of ideas.

Usually when I'm preparing for a speech, I start with way too much material, then trim it down to what I really want / need to say.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Is there a way that the non Christians on this forum can give us feedback on what may work for them with regards to salvation approaches? What does not and why?

Comment

I like Paul's approach when he came to Christ, he asked two questions: "Who are you, Lord?" and "Lord, what do you want me to do?" So, seeking to know God, and starting to obey him, is what I would counsel someone wanting to become a Christian. I'm leery of telling someone to pray a prayer to become a Christian because it's not found in Scripture, for one, and it tends to put the focus on the prayer, as in "Did I pray it right?" or "Did it take?" Let's put the focus on the Lord! And seek to know him, that is Scriptural.

"Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent." (John 17:3)

Blessings,
                    Lee
                    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post
                      Is there a way that the non Christians on this forum can give us feedback on what may work for them with regards to salvation approaches? What does not and why?
                      That's what the seeker sensitive movement does. There is certainly value in knowing your audience. The danger here is changing the Gospel to something else so more people will join.

I suppose surveying them could be of some value. Unfortunately we have to face the reality that not all are saved and no matter what we do, we won't reach them.

Comment

Actually, when we talk about lack of vocation, it's a universal point of reference, applicable to Christians as well as non-Christians. it's not a coincidence that Paul approached the Stoics and the Epicureans, on Mars Hill. He knew his message would appeal to them. These thinkers are recognized as the precursors of modern existential philosophers, who also teach life has no meaning, no goals, no purpose.
                        Not quite. While Paul is talking to Stoics and Epicureans and others, he starts his speech by referencing their worship. "Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: 'People of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship - and this is what I am going to proclaim to you.'" - Acts 22-23.

He makes no reference to vocation. What he's appealing to is the Athenians desire to worship and stating he brings the true God to them that they may worship Him.

When you talk about heaven, it draws a blank, because they will tell you there is no scientific evidence of life after death. Worldviews based on faith receive a similar response, since there is no evidence about their claims, but new theological approaches offer evidence, actual, visible transformation in the lives of believers. We may ask if the average person on the street, Joe Public, ever thinks about these issues, but it's not rocket science. Often, when forced to slow down (pandemic! calling in sick!), everybody thinks about these things.

Lots of opportunities have opened up, with better understanding of Scripture. The harvest is plentiful, the laborers are few. Therefore, pray...
                        Some Athenians were offended when Paul mentioned the Resurrection of the Dead. However a salvation message probably won't touch on eternal life especially a brief one like Cow Poke is working on.

People may have more time to reflect on these things, but the one survey survey I saw indicating Bible reading is going down. I won't count on better understanding of Scripture being out there.

I think any salvation message has to center on God. Any other focus is going to be weak and you may not be able to get them from that focus to God. So if you get them focused on a transformed life, they'll focus on themselves and God at best becomes a help to them and not the center of their life.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                          Not quite. While Paul is talking to Stoics and Epicureans and others, he starts his speech by referencing their worship. "Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: 'People of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship - and this is what I am going to proclaim to you.'" - Acts 22-23.

He makes no reference to vocation. What he's appealing to is the Athenians desire to worship and stating he brings the true God to them that they may worship Him.

Some Athenians were offended when Paul mentioned the Resurrection of the Dead. However a salvation message probably won't touch on eternal life especially a brief one like Cow Poke is working on.

People may have more time to reflect on these things, but the one survey survey I saw indicating Bible reading is going down. I won't count on better understanding of Scripture being out there.

I think any salvation message has to center on God. Any other focus is going to be weak and you may not be able to get them from that focus to God. So if you get them focused on a transformed life, they'll focus on themselves and God at best becomes a help to them and not the center of their life.
                          Stoics and Epicureans both had a common goal in life, to minimise suffering, but went about in different ways. Epicureans created moments of happiness, Stoics believed happiness could be found in all situations. They filled gaps, where their world views could not provide answers, with prayers to gods who had spheres of influence, asking for help with resources, relationships or power from the respective gods, Plutus, Aphrodite or Ares and others.

There were several gods for every occasion, and to play safe, there was even a god who took care of the unknown, some unforeseen situation that created unhappiness. Paul identified that god as the God who gave purpose, who touched the spot that the other gods could not reach. After wealth, love and power had failed to satisfy, he claimed that the obtaining of the result, receiving of the object of this desire, would not disappoint, and God had given proof by raising Jesus from the dead. What was the goal, the object of this longing? To be able to overcome every suffering, even death. Making them an asset to anybody they ministered to. Be a blessing to the world. A vocation. To give everybody a vocation.

If you propose you have the answer to this problem to any man, can he refuse? Apparently, the jailer was told about all the additional benefits. And couldn't refuse.

8:20 minutes into the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSieEAXSsXY

“Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and all sorts of things will be put right, including you".
                          Last edited by footwasher; 08-21-2020, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Can we please get back on topic --- making a short video with the Gospel message, absent any one on one personal contact.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                              I like Paul's approach when he came to Christ, he asked two questions: "Who are you, Lord?" and "Lord, what do you want me to do?"
                              But what has happened to repentance and faith? Well, repentance is primarily turning from sin, and turning to God, is it not? Seeking the Lord would involved turning to God, and turning from sin. And obedience is the practical expression of faith, we can't say we believe the Lord, and not trust him, and not obey him.

I have been puzzled in the past by the sermon illustration of faith, which talks about the tightrope walker taking a sack of potatoes across a river, and asking the crowd "Who believes I can do this with a person in a wheelbarrow?" And then asking for a volunteer! So faith is getting in the wheelbarrow, but it didn't seem clear what that meant, practically. i would say here that getting in the wheelbarrow is tantamount to obedience, to get to know the Lord, to know his voice, and follow him.

Blessings,
                              Lee
                              "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                                But what has happened to repentance and faith? Well, repentance is primarily turning from sin, and turning to God, is it not? Seeking the Lord would involved turning to God, and turning from sin. And obedience is the practical expression of faith, we can't say we believe the Lord, and not trust him, and not obey him.

I have been puzzled in the past by the sermon illustration of faith, which talks about the tightrope walker taking a sack of potatoes across a river, and asking the crowd "Who believes I can do this with a person in a wheelbarrow?" And then asking for a volunteer! So faith is getting in the wheelbarrow, but it didn't seem clear what that meant, practically. i would say here that getting in the wheelbarrow is tantamount to obedience, to get to know the Lord, to know his voice, and follow him.

Blessings,
                                Lee
                                Excellent topic, exploring which will give solutions to the main topic.

Recently saw a video of a pelican trapped in fishing lines with a hook embedded in its feathers. No one could calm it down for the hook to be removed. In order to get the hook removed, someone must become a pelican, with a hook in its feathers, must calm down, so that the Rescuer can remove that hook. Seeing this rescue, the other pelican will also calm down. Someone must become the Rescuer's demo kit. Someone must pick up a cross, put Himself in danger, to show the Rescuer's ability to resurrect.

https://www.questionsgod.com/geese-storm.htm

Works with the story of the tight rope walker too. We all need to be carried across. Someone has to get in the wheelbarrow, to allow the Rescuer to do His job, to show how it's done.

Therefore the command to pick up the cross everyday, because we meet someone new everyday.
                                Last edited by footwasher; 08-22-2020, 07:25 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X