Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Your 2 1/2 minute "how to be saved" video...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Your 2 1/2 minute "how to be saved" video...

    In another thread, we're discussing this...

    I have been wanting to add a "how to be saved" video to my Church's morning livestream - something to play at the end of the service.

    What all would you include in a "how to get saved" video, keeping it to 2 to 2 1/2 minutes?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  • #2
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    In another thread, we're discussing this...

    I have been wanting to add a "how to be saved" video to my Church's morning livestream - something to play at the end of the service.

    What all would you include in a "how to get saved" video, keeping it to 2 to 2 1/2 minutes?
    How to be saved, have eternal life, the life Adam had, doing work with wages that does not rust or perish.

    Believe what Christ claimed, that you need to enter God’s Rest, the Kingdom of God, be in union with God, what Adam had.

    Which will happen if you prove your oath of loyalty is true.

    Which will happen if you are born again.

    Which will happen if you remember God's great works of rescuing, nourishment for faith, edification to help you prove your loyalty.

    Which you will see, if you are baptised in the name of Christ, believe that God raises those who pick up the cross He gives.

    Numbers 14:24"But My servant Caleb, because he has had a different spirit and has followed Me fully, I will bring into the land which he entered, and his descendants shall take possession of it.

    Comment


    • #3
      I watched it on your service last Sunday. Part of me would want to add more detail, yet part of me says not to complicate it with too much detail.

      But I would limit myself to two suggestions:

      (1) Define sin. I think that's one of those words which have become cliche'ed to the point of having no meaning among the lost. Call it treason against almighty God, give specific examples, lying, cheating, immorality, etc.

      (2) Explain the consequences of sin. Wrath of God. Maybe cite Johnathan Edwards.

      But don't misuderstand me. Thank God you're out there preaching a message of salvation. It's what unsaved people need to hear.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Faber View Post
        I watched it on your service last Sunday. Part of me would want to add more detail, yet part of me says not to complicate it with too much detail.
        Yeah, SO MUCH easier when you have the person in front of you, and you can rely on visual clues, body language, facial expression...

        But I would limit myself to two suggestions:

        (1) Define sin. I think that's one of those words which have become cliche'ed to the point of having no meaning among the lost. Call it treason against almighty God, give specific examples, lying, cheating, immorality, etc.


        (2) Explain the consequences of sin. Wrath of God. Maybe cite Johnathan Edwards.

        But don't misuderstand me. Thank God you're out there preaching a message of salvation. It's what unsaved people need to hear.
        You're answering the question I asked, brother, and I appreciate it.
        "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Chiefsinner View Post
          How to be saved, have eternal life, the life Adam had, doing work with wages that does not rust or perish.

          Believe what Christ claimed, that you need to enter God’s Rest, the Kingdom of God, be in union with God, what Adam had.

          Which will happen if you prove your oath of loyalty is true.

          Which will happen if you are born again.

          Which will happen if you remember God's great works of rescuing, nourishment for faith, edification to help you prove your loyalty.

          Which you will see, if you are baptised in the name of Christ, believe that God raises those who pick up the cross He gives.

          Numbers 14:24"But My servant Caleb, because he has had a different spirit and has followed Me fully, I will bring into the land which he entered, and his descendants shall take possession of it.
          About 30 years ago it hit me that I really can't rely on my audience even knowing who Caleb was, or what "Numbers" is.

          And, if a person doesn't believe in Adam and Eve....

          Trying to keep it streamlined to the essentials.

          Thanks for your input.
          "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Faber View Post
            I watched it on your service last Sunday. Part of me would want to add more detail, yet part of me says not to complicate it with too much detail.

            But I would limit myself to two suggestions:

            (1) Define sin. I think that's one of those words which have become cliche'ed to the point of having no meaning among the lost. Call it treason against almighty God, give specific examples, lying, cheating, immorality, etc.

            (2) Explain the consequences of sin. Wrath of God. Maybe cite Johnathan Edwards.

            But don't misuderstand me. Thank God you're out there preaching a message of salvation. It's what unsaved people need to hear.
            Caleb and Israel are the positive and negative examples. Caleb believed God would always save, while Israel did not. The corollary doctrine to this is that somehow this was linked to being blessings to the world.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              About 30 years ago it hit me that I really can't rely on my audience even knowing who Caleb was, or what "Numbers" is.

              And, if a person doesn't believe in Adam and Eve....

              Trying to keep it streamlined to the essentials.

              Thanks for your input.
              I'd hate to limit the Gospel to be accessible only to the intelligent or the seminary trained. God in fact lifts up the humble, the poor in spirit, those who admit they aren't clever. I'd say I love the churches and teaching platforms where they keep feeding the Scripture to the congregation, use it as much as possible, encourage daily rote reading. It is the building blocks God uses. No material, no progress.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Chiefsinner View Post
                Caleb and Israel are the positive and negative examples. Caleb believed God would always save, while Israel did not. The corollary doctrine to this is that somehow this was linked to being blessings to the world.
                I think you're missing the point - in 2 1/2 minutes, you really need to stay with the essentials, and a mention of Caleb or the History (or promises) of Ancient Israel would require somebody to be brought up to speed, so to speak.

                The target for this 2 1/2 minute video would be somebody who hasn't grown up in Church, and doesn't have a solid foundation of church or biblical history.
                "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I think you're missing the point - in 2 1/2 minutes, you really need to stay with the essentials, and a mention of Caleb or the History (or promises) of Ancient Israel would require somebody to be brought up to speed, so to speak.

                  The target for this 2 1/2 minute video would be somebody who hasn't grown up in Church, and doesn't have a solid foundation of church or biblical history.
                  Right, when the jailer in Acts asked what he had to do to be saved, he was given a simple answer... but was followed up with inmediately after for more info.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I think you're missing the point - in 2 1/2 minutes, you really need to stay with the essentials, and a mention of Caleb or the History (or promises) of Ancient Israel would require somebody to be brought up to speed, so to speak.

                    The target for this 2 1/2 minute video would be somebody who hasn't grown up in Church, and doesn't have a solid foundation of church or biblical history.
                    Do we want to substitute a solution with a non-solution, just because of a time limitation? BTW, maybe even the topic is off, premature. The real teaching before advising "How to be saved?" is "What are we being saved from?", what problem is facing everybody. In the Facebook group, we've finally agreed the Gospel deals with vocation and the lack thereof, rather than escaping hell to go to heaven. TWeb has a Facebook group too, where I got directed here. I can PM the links to interested peeps.
                    Last edited by footwasher; 08-19-2020, 01:19 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      Right, when the jailer in Acts asked what he had to do to be saved, he was given a simple answer... but was followed up with inmediately after for more info.
                      Again, in the group, we finally agreed the Greek was "How do I get out of this mess?". The writers show how the Apostles (and Jesus) give more information than what was asked for. Isn't that a pattern?

                      8:20 minutes into the video clip:

                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSieEAXSsXY
                      Last edited by footwasher; 08-19-2020, 01:29 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        Right, when the jailer in Acts asked what he had to do to be saved, he was given a simple answer... but was followed up with inmediately after for more info.
                        That's what makes this a challenge - those were all "in person" exchanges.

                        I've also been rethinking the "I can tell you bout the time and take you to the place" thing, that there is a "moment in time" when a person 'got saved'.

                        It's like, in the old days, I'd say "there are two kinds of people in the world - saved and lost". Then I saw Paul Little's approach, more like "Have you accepted Christ as Savior, or are you still on the way..." Leaving the door open for somebody who was still thinking about it.

                        So, I'm looking at this as more of a "starting point", since "Salvation" is "I was saved, I'm being saved, I will be saved".
                        "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          That's what makes this a challenge - those were all "in person" exchanges.

                          I've also been rethinking the "I can tell you bout the time and take you to the place" thing, that there is a "moment in time" when a person 'got saved'.

                          It's like, in the old days, I'd say "there are two kinds of people in the world - saved and lost". Then I saw Paul Little's approach, more like "Have you accepted Christ as Savior, or are you still on the way..." Leaving the door open for somebody who was still thinking about it.

                          So, I'm looking at this as more of a "starting point", since "Salvation" is "I was saved, I'm being saved, I will be saved".
                          As with the Samaritan woman, the reply given to a non religious person is a spiritual one. It gives them a glimpse into the spiritual domain, and ignites a curiosity.
                          Last edited by footwasher; 08-19-2020, 01:52 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Why not make something like a powerpoint (then film it) of the Roman Road? You could show graphics and bullet points of verses while you talk in the background, then switch to a view of you inviting them to pray with you to accept Jesus, then contact you or a local church to get baptized and join a fellowship of believers

                            We have a page here on tweb on how to get saved.

                            http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...lvationmessage
                            Last edited by Sparko; 08-19-2020, 03:23 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Why not make something like a powerpoint (then film it) of the Roman Road? You could show graphics and bullet points of verses while you talk in the background, then switch to a view of you inviting them to pray with you to accept Jesus, then contact you or a local church to get baptized and join a fellowship of believers

                              We have a page here on tweb on how to get saved.

                              http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...lvationmessage
                              Something like that is what I'm leaning toward, actually ---- just like I do Sunday mornings with the powerpoint showing my scriptures and main points.
                              "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by FarEastBird, 09-02-2020, 11:39 AM
                              83 responses
                              568 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post footwasher  
                              Started by lee_merrill, 06-29-2020, 06:29 PM
                              219 responses
                              2,337 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post footwasher  
                              Started by Esther, 08-30-2019, 12:42 PM
                              72 responses
                              11,033 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post footwasher  
                              Working...
                              X