Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Ex 20:4 vs Ex 25:18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex 20:4 vs Ex 25:18

Does YHWH at Ex 25:18 contradict his commandment at Ex 20:4. If not, why not? (Of course he is God and can do whatever he wants, but ordering something to be done that he has explicitly ordered not to be done seems something of a contradiction).

Your enlightened comments would be most welcome...

You shall make two cherubim of gold, make them of hammered work at the two ends of the mercy seat. (Exodus 25:18, NASB)

They aren't to be made in order to be worshiped:

You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me (Exodus 24:4-5, NASB)
    Last edited by foudroyant; 05-25-2014, 11:48 PM.

Comment

The winged creatures in Exodus 25 are cherubim, which according to Wikipedia are angelic attendants to YHWH. It's possible that they look nothing like what we can observe in the sky, on the earth, or in the water. The ESV Bible has an illustration of the temple that show them in Exodus.
      Last edited by Truthseeker; 05-25-2014, 03:12 PM.
      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
        You shall make two cherubim of gold, make them of hammered work at the two ends of the mercy seat. (Exodus 25:18, NASB)

They aren't to be made in order to be worshiped:

You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me (Exodus 24:4-5, NASB)
        The NASB gets a lot of flack for its liberal renderings of scripture. The term used at Ex 20:4 is pecel which simply refers to an carved image. Have a read up on the iconoclast controversies that plagued the church at one stage. Also have an investigation of the EOC/ROC's criticism of the RCC for using realism...

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
          The winged creatures in Exodus 25 are cherubim, which according to Wikipedia are angelic attendants to YHWH. It's possible that they look nothing like what we can observe in the sky, on the earth, or in the water. The ESV Bible has an illustration of the temple that show them in Exodus.
          The text says "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:" I presume the actual cherubim reside in heaven and given your comments Moses' artisans used their imagination in their depictions.

foudroyant makes a good point that "They aren't to be made in order to be worshiped", though I would have said "They weren't intended to be made in order to be worshiped". Taking the assumption that few of the Israelites ever glimpsed the tabernacle, I reflect on what regularly happens in Mecca. The unseen is worshipped, so the tabernacle in effect is an idol. Note that YHWH in numbers 12 declares to Aaron and his wife, that while there are prophets in Israel that he (YHWH) reveals himself in dreams, he (YHWH) speaks directly only to Moses. With all the mystique of the tent and the "invisibility" of the tabernacle, it would be natural for the Israelites to see it as an object of worship...

Comment

Originally posted by apostoli View Post
            The NASB gets a lot of flack for its liberal renderings of scripture. The term used at Ex 20:4 is pecel which simply refers to an carved image. Have a read up on the iconoclast controversies that plagued the church at one stage. Also have an investigation of the EOC/ROC's criticism of the RCC for using realism...

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me (Exodus 20:4-5, KJV).

Keil and Delitzsch: It is not only evident from the context that the allusion is not to the making of images generally, but to the construction of figures of God as objects of religious reverence or worship, but this is expressly stated in Exodus 20:5; so that even Calvin observes, that “there is no necessity to refute what some have foolishly imagined, that sculpture and painting of every kind are condemned here.” With the same aptness he has just before observed, that “although Moses only speaks of idols, there is no doubt that by implication he condemns all the forms of false worship, which men have invented for themselves.”
            http://www.studylight.org/commentary...cgi?bk=1&ch=20

Robert Jamieson, A. R. Fausset and David Brown: Under the auspices of Moses himself, figures of cherubim, brazen serpents, oxen, and many other things in the earth beneath, were made and never condemned. The mere making was no sin - it was the making with the intent to give idolatrous worship. (Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible)

Whedon: Graven image — That this commandment was not designed to prohibit the productions of sculpture and painting is apparent from the fact that Moses was expressly ordered to construct cherubim for the most holy place of the tabernacle, and to make the brazen serpent in the wilderness. Only idolatrous images, representations of God and designed for worship, are contemplated.

All these (and there are plenty more) affirm what I wrote in Post #2:

-----> They aren't to be made in order to be worshiped

Comment

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me (Exodus 20:4-5, KJV).

Keil and Delitzsch: It is not only evident from the context that the allusion is not to the making of images generally, but to the construction of figures of God as objects of religious reverence or worship, but this is expressly stated in Exodus 20:5; so that even Calvin observes, that “there is no necessity to refute what some have foolishly imagined, that sculpture and painting of every kind are condemned here.” With the same aptness he has just before observed, that “although Moses only speaks of idols, there is no doubt that by implication he condemns all the forms of false worship, which men have invented for themselves.”

Robert Jamieson, A. R. Fausset and David Brown: Under the auspices of Moses himself, figures of cherubim, brazen serpents, oxen, and many other things in the earth beneath, were made and never condemned. The mere making was no sin - it was the making with the intent to give idolatrous worship. (Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible)

Whedon: Graven image — That this commandment was not designed to prohibit the productions of sculpture and painting is apparent from the fact that Moses was expressly ordered to construct cherubim for the most holy place of the tabernacle, and to make the brazen serpent in the wilderness. Only idolatrous images, representations of God and designed for worship, are contemplated.

All these (and there are plenty more) affirm what I wrote in Post #2:

-----> They aren't to be made in order to be worshiped
              I don't contest any of the observations you present. The fact remains, that though the original intention was not to create a thing to be worshiped, the end result has historically been proven that the thing created became an object of worship to the common people.

Now, if YWHW (God) is omniscient he would have seen such an evolution as evident!

There is a simple solution to this dilemma, let us see if in your flatulence you can arrive at it...

Comment

Originally posted by apostoli View Post
                Does YHWH at Ex 25:18 contradict his commandment at Ex 20:4. If not, why not? (Of course he is God and can do whatever he wants, but ordering something to be done that he has explicitly ordered not to be done seems something of a contradiction).

This is what you wrote in the OP.

There is no contradiction because He never commanded the worship of such idols.

Now you are changing course mid-stream and saying that if He is omniscient He would have seen what would have taken place. So don't come here with that smug attitude as if somehow you know and the rest of us are just holding our breath waiting for you to inform us of this great wisdom you have. You think you would have learned recently not to let your stupid pride get the best of you.

Clean up your act.

Comment

This is what you wrote in the OP.

There is no contradiction because He never commanded the worship of such idols.

Now you are changing course mid-stream and saying that if He is omniscient He would have seen what would have taken place. So don't come here with that smug attitude as if somehow you know and the rest of us are just holding our breath waiting for you to inform us of this great wisdom you have. You think you would have learned recently not to let your stupid pride get the best of you.

Clean up your act.
                  I would suggest you take your own self righteous advice, and go back to inspecting your colon.

I've made a simple enquiry to gauge various protestant attitudes. The text of Ex 25:4 says "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:...", now focusing exclusively on the sub-text "Thou shalt not make unto thee ...any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above..." there is a total prohibition on making images of anything in heaven, full stop (according to some protestant denominations). So in some protestant circles you'd be not only considered biblically ignorant but a total heretic...

Comment

If it is a "simple enquiry" on your part just read the answers people post and shut up.

Thanks for your misinterpretation of the text....got any sources to back you up?

Comment

If it is a "simple enquiry" on your part just read the answers people post and shut up.
                      Censorship!!! How marvelouus from someone who demonstrates to be both biblically and socially ignorant. I assume from your posts that you are just some pugnacious child looking for a fight to prove your prowess...I'll simply turn the other cheek and ignore you...

Thanks for your misinterpretation of the text....
                      Given I quoted the text in full and then gave a protestant (iconoclast) understanding, where is the textual misrepresentation. The text says what it says...this is what I said, note the parentheses...

The text of Ex 25:4 says "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:...", now focusing exclusively on the sub-text "Thou shalt not make unto thee ...any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above..." there is a total prohibition on making images of anything in heaven, full stop (according to some protestant denominations).

I'm not stating my opinion as anyone with the merest literacy would understand but a common stance amoungst certain protestant groups - usually as an attack on the RCC. I'm RCC so I don't see the protestant viewpoint...

...got any sources to back you up?
                      Sure...lots and lots of protestant iconoclasts attack against the RCC...
                      Last edited by apostoli; 05-27-2014, 10:45 PM.

Comment

You supplied YOUR understanding. Cite other sources.

Comment

You supplied YOUR understanding. Cite other sources.
                          Read Calvin's Institutes, Book 1, Chapters 10-12.

I trust you accept Calvin as authoritative of protestant opinion (?)

Comment

Cite what he wrote since you are appealing to him.

Comment

Cite what he wrote since you are appealing to him.
                              Read Calvin for yourself! Then you will be informed and can't accuse me of distorting (or selectively quoting) his opinion. The Institutes are available online (as I already told you the relevant section is Book 1, Chapters 10-12 )...

Calvin is very explicit in his opinion - probably why he is reputed as the most severe of the protestant iconoclasts. In short he propounded that anything that is unseen cannot be depicted by man eg: God, cherubim etc etc etc. (actually, he went even further as you will find out if you get off your lazy butt and do some study).
                              Last edited by apostoli; 05-28-2014, 08:47 AM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X