Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Soyeong: Born Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soyeong: Born Again

Howdy Soyeong

If you would be so kind, can you please explain:

1) What does it mean to be "born again"?

2) How does one become "born again"?

3) What does the "new birth" look like in the life of an individual who has been "born again"?

Thanks very much!

Jesus describes this in John Chapter 3. I think He does a better job than I could.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Since Cow Poke took the initiative to comment on Soyeong's questions, I'll give a 2 cents:

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
      1) What does it mean to be "born again"?
      As Cow Poke indicated, very simply, observing the Spirit of the Law because you want to do the right thing vs. Flesh of the Law because you have to do the right thing so you don't get punished. Both of which are addressed in Jesus' Woes to Pharisees in Matthew 23 and elsewhere.

2) How does one become "born again"?
      My opinion is Beatitudes and Lord's Prayer first in Matthew 5-6 as a very simple start to align yourself with God's will. Baptism as a mikveh can come later as an outward display of your determination to follow this path.

3) What does the "new birth" look like in the life of an individual who has been "born again"?
      Very simply (again and again) you will have joy observing God's will, rather than fear if you don't.

----------------------

Now this may not apply to every person. Some like drug addicts and criminals may be pushed into it because their lives are just so miserable. It doesn't mean everyone is going to run to God for joy. But ultimately, we should enjoy serving God, rather than seeing it as a duty or burden. Where otherwise may indicate that in our hearts, we aren't serving God at all, but rather, serving fear of punishment if we don't serve God.

Comment

Thanks guys, I don't mind if you respond but at this point I would like to read Soy's response first before I further delve into the topic.

Comment

Use the Exodus event as a template. Did all the Children of Israel see the Kingdom of God? Nope, only Joshua and Caleb. Didn't the former turn away from the world (Egypt) and pledge loyalty to God? Sure, but that wasn't enough. In addition to turning away from the world, J & C turned away from self. Loyalty to God is a metanoia, change of mind, often mistranslated as "repent". It is adaptive, requiring a rethink in every situation: I choose God, not the world. I choose God, not myself.

It's only when you are solidly for God that you can see the Land flowing with milk and honey, not harm inflicting giants.

People drink from the Rock, learn from the Bible. When they read the life-threatening passages, they want to go back to Egypt. Of course it's another matter that the hard teachings aren't taught...
          Last edited by footwasher; 01-29-2014, 07:41 AM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X