Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is everything part of God's plan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just asking God a question isn't much of a condemnation

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
      Just asking God a question isn't much of a condemnation
      Such a question, when attached to a judgment, implicitly accuses injustice. Molinism is said to avert such accusations of divine injustice by preserving a sense of LFW, but I am not convinced that Molinism does anything more than kick the can of justice down the road a bit, rather than actually picking it up.

Comment

Calvinists often state that God is the author of all sin. Molinists do not. That is the distinction.

Comment

Quick question: Is Molinism more of a cyber religion, what organized religion (Church) teaches the tenets of Molinism as a part of their regular church teachings.

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
            True, but Molinism still doesn't absolve God of ultimate responsibility, if one was trying to accomplish such. That is, a man going to Hell would still be able to say, "Why, God, did you not substantiate the possible, feasible world in which I freely chose to become a Christian, rather than the one in which I did not?"
            It seems to me that sort of question only holds any muster when asked with a Calvinist definition of 'free will', versus the LFW definition of free will.

After all, the LFW definition always goes back to the person being the one who freely determined the choice -- rather than the choice being determined by something outside of their will (God, another person, human nature, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
              Calvinists often state that God is the author of all sin. Molinists do not. That is the distinction.
              I have never seen a Calvinist state that God is the author of sin. Can you give me an example of one?

Comment

True, but Molinism still doesn't absolve God of ultimate responsibility, if one was trying to accomplish such. That is, a man going to Hell would still be able to say, "Why, God, did you not substantiate the possible, feasible world in which I freely chose to become a Christian, rather than the one in which I did not?"
                This is not really the main focus of this thread, which is about conflict (if any) between human will and God's planning (rather than between evil and God's planning, or between universal salvation and God's planning).

But there are possible answers to such objections for the Molinist. There might have been no situations in which the man chooses to become a Christian. Or if there were, it may be that no possible world has all people choosing to to be saved (similar to Plantinga's "transworld depravity" argument). That is, given the set of all people who have some situation in which they would choose to become a Christian, it might not be possible to instantiate a world in which all of those situations occur. These are possibilities for Molinism, but not for those who suppose that God controls what people choose.

Not to mention that God didn't have to save anyone. Even if God didn't save anyone, that doesn't make him responsible for human evil. Men chose to do evil. If the man hadn't already chosen to do evil, he would have no need of salvation. And God may justly punish the man.

And, as Phat points out, whatever situation God puts a person in, it's still the person's free choice, and not God's. God may prefer that the person in that situation would choose otherwise than the person does. In which case God would likely have chosen to instantiate a different, better world. Then the reason why that better world is not possible is the man's free choice, not God's choice.

Comment

I have never seen a Calvinist state that God is the author of sin. Can you give me an example of one?
                  FWIW, I'm pretty sure that RC Sproul Jr. has stated that, or something very similar.
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by phat8594 View Post
                    It seems to me that sort of question only holds any muster when asked with a Calvinist definition of 'free will', versus the LFW definition of free will. After all, the LFW definition always goes back to the person being the one who freely determined the choice -- rather than the choice being determined by something outside of their will (God, another person, human nature, etc.)
                    Molina taught that there are many possible and feasible universes, each containing a different combination of all the various choices made by LFW by all people during the course of their lives. God has chosen to instantiate one out of all those universes, the one in which each of us used LFW to make exactly the choices we have made. If God had chosen a different universe to instantiate, then we would have used our LFW to make other choices. So it seems to me that God is still "on the hook" as it were for the fact that the universe which he chose to instantiate is one in which certain people used their LFW to reject salvation, as opposed to the universe in which those people used their LFW to accept salvation. It is one step removed from Calvinism's understanding of God's sovereignty, but amounts to the same thing in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      FWIW, I'm pretty sure that RC Sproul Jr. has stated that, or something very similar.
                      I was looking for more of a citation than a vague recollection.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
                        This is not really the main focus of this thread, which is about conflict (if any) between human will and God's planning (rather than between evil and God's planning, or between universal salvation and God's planning).
                        Since I do not want to derail your thread, I am uncertain as to whether I should respond to the three paragraphs in your post that followed the one I quote here.

Comment

Sorry, I should have known better.
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post

That wouldn't surprise me, coming from the person who has said that 'Arminians are barely Christian' if at all -- and that Christ didn't experience death, but only his human body did --

(in fact, I think I know what you may be referring to....I think he did say something like that...)

RC Sproul, like John MacArthur, is one who

1) doesn't seem okay with 'gray areas' (areas not explicitly clear in the Bible -- or to human reasoning)
                            2) is not open to the possibility of other's thoughts even possibly being right (even slightly)

and therefore seems apt to make broad generalizations appear as fact, and often oversteps the bounds of orthodoxy & Christian charity in the name of 'truth' and 'having the correct answer' on everything.

But then again...perhaps I am the only one who sees it that way...?
                            Last edited by phat8594; 04-09-2014, 12:58 PM.

Comment

I think it is in his book 'Almight Over All'

“I am not accusing God of sinning; I am suggesting that he created sin” (p. 54).
                              and this is because...

“It was [God’s] desire to make his wrath known. He needed, then, something on which to be wrathful. He needed to have sinful creatures” (p. 57)

to be fair, I have not read the book, but saw this on the following Blog post:

http://www.reclaimingthemind.org/blo...reating-deity/

so take that for what it is...

Comment

Molina taught that there are many possible and feasible universes, each containing a different combination of all the various choices made by LFW by all people during the course of their lives. God has chosen to instantiate one out of all those universes, the one in which each of us used LFW to make exactly the choices we have made. If God had chosen a different universe to instantiate, then we would have used our LFW to make other choices. So it seems to me that God is still "on the hook" as it were for the fact that the universe which he chose to instantiate is one in which certain people used their LFW to reject salvation, as opposed to the universe in which those people used their LFW to accept salvation. It is one step removed from Calvinism's understanding of God's sovereignty, but amounts to the same thing in the end.
                                The only 'hook' He would be on is the 'hook' of creating free creatures who had the ability to sin.

But with LFW, it was the person who ultimately determines the choice -- not God. So if that is the case, I am lost at how God is responsible for a choice not ultimately determined by Him?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X