Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Jesus' cry from the cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To ask, "Why have you forsaken me" implies that you have forsaken me. To knowingly and falsely declare that you have forsaken me, when you have not, would be a lie. Not overly complicated.

Whenever the Bible disagrees with a person's theological construct, only one of those can be right. I wonder which one it is.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      Must it necessarily be one or the other. Can it not be, in some sense, both?
      Agreed. There's an interesting narrative being told by the Gospel writers here, taking into consideration both Isaiah and the Psalms.

Isaiah 53:4-5
      Surely he has borne our griefs
      and carried our sorrows;
      yet we esteemed him stricken,
      smitten by God, and afflicted.
      But he was pierced for our transgressions;
      he was crushed for our iniquities;
      upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,
      and with his wounds we are healed.

Isaiah 59:1-2
      Behold, the LORD's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save,
      or his ear dull, that it cannot hear;
      but your iniquities have made a separation
      between you and your God,
      and your sins have hidden his face from you
      so that he does not hear.

Psalm 22:1-5
      My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
      Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?
      O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer,
      and by night, but I find no rest.

Yet you are holy,
      enthroned on the praises of Israel.
      In you our fathers trusted;
      they trusted, and you delivered them.
      To you they cried and were rescued;
      in you they trusted and were not put to shame.

Matthew 27:46-50
      And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” that is, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” And some of the bystanders, hearing it, said, “This man is calling Elijah.” And one of them at once ran and took a sponge, filled it with sour wine, and put it on a reed and gave it to him to drink. But the others said, “Wait, let us see whether Elijah will come to save him.” And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice and yielded up his spirit.

Luke 23:44-46
      It was now about the sixth hour, and there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour, while the sun's light failed. And the curtain of the temple was torn in two. Then Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!” And having said this he breathed his last.

1 Peter 2:24
      He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed.

It looks like the early Christian movement takes into consideration Isaiah's view of the suffering servant as one who takes on the iniquities of the world, and that the Father separates himself from sin. Yet, the Son is not left with these inequities, rather he is delivered, and glorified. Its an intriguing understanding of the view of the second person of the trinity who, in his incarnation, suffers in all ways as man suffers, yet is redeemed and glorified in the end. If Jesus simply died a physical death for the sins of the world, would that be enough? Separation from the Father, even for a short time, seems like the true sacrifice on the cross. Jesus suffered both physical and spiritual death, and so only he can claim to know what suffering is, and to have been tempted in all ways, yet to still do the will the father.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
        No. I think this is one place where many have it wrong, and are being too literal. Its referencing Psalm 22. The psalms are taught to be cried out in times of need pain or prayer for the Jews. It would not have been uncommon to hear a psalm in time of great pain. But that it was this specific psalm is significant.
        Who, me?
        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
          To ask, "Why have you forsaken me" implies that you have forsaken me. To knowingly and falsely declare that you have forsaken me, when you have not, would be a lie. Not overly complicated.

Whenever the Bible disagrees with a person's theological construct, only one of those can be right. I wonder which one it is.
          Observe the 24th verse of Psalm 22 (ESV): "For he has not despised or abhorred the affliction of the afflicted, and he has not hidden his face from him, but has heard, when he cried to him."

It is one thing to feel utterly abandoned by God and quite another to claim it as an indubitable theological truth. Jesus would not by "lying" by vocalizing his distress on the cross. Surely you familiar with the Psalms and the Prophets. The language of forsakenness and abandonment is given voice to throughout numerous passages of the Hebrew Scriptures by suffering servants of Yahweh God. Are we to suppose Job, Habakkuk and Jeremiah were all liars in expressing their angst? It would be a mistake to read all their statements as infallible propositional truths in the first place.
          For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

I sure hope you are not that literal in your relationships. Hint: When a woman says, "You don't love me anymore" she is using a rhetorical emotional device. She isn't literally saying she literally believes you don't literally love her any more. Sheesh.
            The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren View Post
              I sure hope you are not that literal in your relationships. Hint: When a woman says, "You don't love me anymore" she is using a rhetorical emotional device. She isn't literally saying she literally believes you don't literally love her any more. Sheesh.
              For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Psalm 22:24 For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.

This verse does not negate the prior abandonment. It just means that God eventually hears the cry, and eventually intervenes. Further, I will point out that verse 24 appears to be part of a quotation.

22 I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.
                23 ["]Ye that fear the Lord, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel.
                24 For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.["]

Comment

Psalm 22:24 For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.

This verse does not negate the prior abandonment. It just means that God eventually hears the cry, and eventually intervenes. Further, I will point out that verse 24 appears to be part of a quotation.

22 I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.
                  23 ["]Ye that fear the Lord, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel.
                  24 For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.["]
                  I still do not see how you are able to cling onto a single verse (namely Jesus' utterance of Psalm 22:1) in order to substantiate your claim that the Father literally abandoned the Son on the cross. (You also have conveniently ignored the rest of my points in my prior post specifically addressed to you.)

Comment

Yeah but DD that's a woman...you can't always go by what they say anyway because it most often means the opposite!

Saw this from W.E. Vine:

Note: A recent translator renders this verb in Matthew 27:50 "uttered a scream," an utterly deplorable mistranslation and a misrepresentation of the nature of the Lord's "cry."

http://www.studylight.org/dic/ved/view.cgi?n=624

Anyone know who Vine is referring to?

Comment

But if i was to read a story, and read that the woman told the man, "you don't love me anymore," i would have to assume that she meant what she stated, because it's a statement. That statement literally means that her perspective literally sees the man as having no love toward her. I can't just assume that she's being emotional, I have to find out whether or not she is. That's why we have to search the text to understand the meaning of Jesus statement, so we have the correct context. No assumptions, No pre-suppositions, etc. Only text, we must let the text define the text, so what do we do? Keep looking until we find the evidence, or enough evidence, that defines the statement.

Comment

Yes, when a woman says that she is lying to manipulate the man's emotions. Unless she truly believes it -- in which case she is either delusional, or correct.

Comment

DDW was confronting Obsidian's approach to Jesus' "cry of dereliction". It was, therefore, relevant.

I really hope we are not about to go off on some extended gender relations rant derail of this thread now.

Comment

Originally posted by IamLives View Post
                            But if i was to read a story, and read that the woman told the man, "you don't love me anymore," i would have to assume that she meant what she stated, because it's a statement. That statement literally means that her perspective literally sees the man as having no love toward her. I can't just assume that she's being emotional, I have to find out whether or not she is. That's why we have to search the text to understand the meaning of Jesus statement, so we have the correct context. No assumptions, No pre-suppositions, etc. Only text, we must let the text define the text, so what do we do? Keep looking until we find the evidence, or enough evidence, that defines the statement.
                            And you would be wrong. Just as if you grabbed a kennel rather than an umbrella when I said it was raining cats and dogs. But despite all that, the context tells us… He is quoting Psalm 22 which says precisely the opposite. And no one said she was "being emotional" - using an emotional rhetorical device is not the same. When someone "breaks your heart", I doubt you go to see a heart surgeon.

sigpic

Comment

Yes, when a woman says that she is lying to manipulate the man's emotions. Unless she truly believes it -- in which case she is either delusional, or correct.
                              Good luck with that. You will be a social retard if you live liked that.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
                                DDW was confronting Obsidian's approach to Jesus' "cry of dereliction". It was, therefore, relevant.

I really hope we are not about to go off on some extended gender relations rant derail of this thread now.
                                Piggo, as thread starter, please put an end to the misogynistic insertion.

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X