Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Doctrines that Destroy lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might be a tare if; your teaching helps destroy, a marriage.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post
      You might be a tare if; your teaching helps destroy, a marriage.
      You might be a Pharisee if; you have an ongoing tendency to jump to nutty conclusions that cause you to accuse others of something they're not actually doing.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'll start a new thread when allowed to do so. Did you know everything you think say or do is based on a reason God sent to control your will?
        Why bother sending me a reason if he is already controlling what I think? If I am just God's puppet he can just make me do whatever he wants to without a reason. Why do I have a will in the first place? Do characters in a video game you control have a will? That seems to be basically what you think we are to God, just characters in some huge game he is playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Why bother sending me a reason if he is already controlling what I think? If I am just God's puppet he can just make me do whatever he wants to without a reason. Why do I have a will in the first place? Do characters in a video game you control have a will? That seems to be basically what you think we are to God, just characters in some huge game he is playing.
          You are carelessly placing yourself in God's position. You think you call the shots. He determines the end from the beginning which proves he controls everything concerning you. good or bad. “For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.” Philippians 2:13 (KJV 1900)

“O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: It is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.” Jeremiah 10:23 (KJV 1900)

Comment

You are carelessly placing yourself in God's position. You think you call the shots. He determines the end from the beginning which proves he controls everything concerning you. good or bad. “For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.” Philippians 2:13 (KJV 1900)

“O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: It is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.” Jeremiah 10:23 (KJV 1900)
            Well if I 'carelessly place myself in God's position and think I call the shots, then that must be what God wants me to do, right? Once again you shoot your own condemnation of me in the foot.

How about you try answering me?

Why bother sending me a reason if he is already controlling what I think? If I am just God's puppet he can just make me do whatever he wants to without a reason. Why do I have a will in the first place? Do characters in a video game you control have a will? That seems to be basically what you think we are to God, just characters in some huge game he is playing

Comment

Well if I 'carelessly place myself in God's position and think I call the shots, then that must be what God wants me to do, right? Once again you shoot your own condemnation of me in the foot.

How about you try answering me?

Why bother sending me a reason if he is already controlling what I think? If I am just God's puppet he can just make me do whatever he wants to without a reason. Why do I have a will in the first place? Do characters in a video game you control have a will? That seems to be basically what you think we are to God, just characters in some huge game he is playing
              You always do what God planned for you. Even if it leads to Hell.

Comment

Ding Dong

Comment

You always do what God planned for you. Even if it leads to Hell.
                  So why does God bother giving me reasons if he already controls what I think and do? Why do I even "think" at all? If we are just puppets we don't need to think.

Comment

So why does God bother giving me reasons if he already controls what I think and do? Why do I even "think" at all? If we are just puppets we don't need to think.
                    God uses you for his glory. If he saves you it glorifies his mercy. If he damns you, it glorifies his goodness and wrath.

Comment

God uses you for his glory. If he saves you it glorifies his mercy. If he damns you, it glorifies his goodness and wrath.
                      There is no glory in making puppets do things. Why won't you actually answer my questions? Is it because you know you are wrong and have no answer?

Why does God bother giving me reasons if he already controls what I think and do? Why do I even "think" at all?

Comment

You are carelessly placing yourself in God's position.
                        irony meter.jpg

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

There is no glory in making puppets do things. Why won't you actually answer my questions? Is it because you know you are wrong and have no answer?

Why does God bother giving me reasons if he already controls what I think and do? Why do I even "think" at all?
                          He uses creation, including you, to reveal his attributes to the heavenly beings. No sin, no mercy. No sin, now sovereignty. No sin, no wrath, etc. It's not about you, it's about God. Read Paul and see if you can grasp it.

Comment

Many solve crimes by following the money. But how do we find the Tares among the wheat? Jesus says the Tares or false Christians cause others to sin and do evil (Matthew 13:41). So instead of following the money, I follow the path of destruction in the doctrine’s wake.

“The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.” (John 10:10)
                            So an easy way to challenge any suspect doctrine is to ask “Does the teaching cause sin and destroy lives? Or does it promote holiness and strengthen lives?
                            Sure. Let's examine hyper-Calvinism through this lens. Any teaching which denies free will teaches that one can't repent and change one's life for the better, causing whoever hears it to keep on doing the same bad things they've always been doing instead of turning to Christ. Nice own goal there, Dave.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

He uses creation, including you, to reveal his attributes to the heavenly beings. No sin, no mercy. No sin, now sovereignty. No sin, no wrath, etc. It's not about you, it's about God. Read Paul and see if you can grasp it.
                              Your version of God is an egomaniac who creates puppets and then thinks by making them do various things it glorifies him. How does a puppet glorify anything? And who is there to appreciate this glory if everything he makes is just a puppet?

If I create a video game and make some video game characters pray to me while I make others do horrendous thing to other characters how does that glorify me? And not only do you think God is doing that but you also think he made us conscious all the while controlling our thoughts and actions. Your idea of God is not a glorious being, but a megalomaniacal psychopathic monster. And you think God is making me think this about him

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Sure. Let's examine hyper-Calvinism through this lens. Any teaching which denies free will teaches that one can't repent and change one's life for the better, causing whoever hears it to keep on doing the same bad things they've always been doing instead of turning to Christ. Nice own goal there, Dave.
                                You are not well versed in Calvinism. But since it describes God, and can reflect your hatred for God if Calvin was right. It's best to hit the books and not speak from ignorance.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X