Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Does the "except clause" of Matthew 19:9 allow divorce and remarriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the "except clause" of Matthew 19:9 allow divorce and remarriage?

“And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.” Matthew 19:9 (KJV 1900)

To my reading, it permits divorce in the case of unfaithfulness. It does seem to block remarriage.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      To my reading, it permits divorce in the case of unfaithfulness. It does seem to block remarriage.
      There is no divorce provision under the New Covenant.

Comment

I knew a Pastor who hated his wife. He treated her harshly in order to drive her into someone else's arms. He thought she would then divorce and commit adultery by remarrying. This supposedly would allow him to remarry. This all happened and he remarried thinking he was entitled to do so. But if you study Matthew 19:9 closely, it does not allow for divorce and remarriage at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post

There is no divorce provision under the New Covenant.
          Jesus specifically said that divorce is allowed in cases of infidelity. If you are denying that then you are calling Jesus a liar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Jesus specifically said that divorce is allowed in cases of infidelity. If you are denying that then you are calling Jesus a liar.
            What about this? The innocent wife divorced from an adulterous husband along with her new husband also commit adultery when they marry. Jesus says the man (part B of the verse) who marries her also commits adultery.

Comment

I knew a Pastor who hated his wife. He treated her harshly in order to drive her into someone else's arms. He thought she would then divorce and commit adultery by remarrying. This supposedly would allow him to remarry. This all happened and he remarried thinking he was entitled to do so. But if you study Matthew 19:9 closely, it does not allow for divorce and remarriage at all.
              Why should I not be surprised that the circles you run in would include such a man? (IF, in fact, this is a true story)
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Moderated By: Bill the Cat

This area of the board isn't for you to post in Dave. Please refrain from posting in this area.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

This area of the board isn't for you to post in Dave. Please refrain from posting in this area.

Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

This is the thread I started. Where else is there to post it?

Comment

Moved to Theology 201, which is more inclusive

That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

What about this? The innocent wife divorced from an adulterous husband along with her new husband also commit adultery when they marry. Jesus says the man (part B of the verse) who marries her also commits adultery.
                      No he doesn't. He just says unless you divorce for infidelity you can't remarry. Not that you cannot remarry if you do divorce for infidelity. In that case you can remarry from the way I read it.

Comment

No he doesn't. He just says unless you divorce for infidelity you can't remarry. Not that you cannot remarry if you do divorce for infidelity. In that case you can remarry from the way I read it.
                        All four mentioned are committing adultery. (1) The wicked husband and wife (2).
                        The innocent wife (1) and (2) the innocent man who marries her.

Comment

All four mentioned are committing adultery. (1) The wicked husband and wife (2).
                          The innocent wife (1) and (2) the innocent man who marries her.
                          You can come up with as many overly convoluted examples as you want, but Jesus clearly said that you are allowed to divorce your wife if she commits infidelity/fornication. And there is nothing that says that the man cannot remarry after he does that. You should not add to the scripture Dave.

9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

The "except for sexual immorality" is a parenthetic exemption from the statement: 9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife ... and marries another woman commits adultery.”

So if she commits sexual immorality then that negates the law that he cannot divorce and remarry.

1. Man divorces wife for some other reason - wrong. If he remarries then he commits adultery.
                          2. Man divorces wife for infidelity - allowed. If he remarries he does not commit adultery.

Comment

You can come up with as many overly convoluted examples as you want, but Jesus clearly said that you are allowed to divorce your wife if she commits infidelity/fornication. And there is nothing that says that the man cannot remarry after he does that. You should not add to the scripture Dave.

9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

The "except for sexual immorality" is a parenthetic exemption from the statement: 9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife ... and marries another woman commits adultery.”

So if she commits sexual immorality then that negates the law that he cannot divorce and remarry.

1. Man divorces wife for some other reason - wrong. If he remarries then he commits adultery.
                            2. Man divorces wife for infidelity - allowed. If he remarries he does not commit adultery.

Look at it in Young's Literal Translation... [ bolding mine, of course ]

'And I say to you, that, whoever may put away his wife, if not for whoredom, and may marry another, doth commit adultery; and he who did marry her that hath been put away, doth commit adultery.'
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Look at it in Young's Literal Translation... [ bolding mine, of course ]

'And I say to you, that, whoever may put away his wife, if not for whoredom, and may marry another, doth commit adultery; and he who did marry her that hath been put away, doth commit adultery.'
                              Yep and really he is not even denying that you can't divorce your wife for other reasons, just that if you do, then you can't remarry without committing adultery. The only way to avoid committing adultery by remarrying is to divorce because of infidelity.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X