Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why is "belief" important?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is "belief" important?

This is a post I've wanted to make for a while.

When I signed up on TWEB, I put my faith down as "Christian" (for lack of a better term). I am not an inerrantist and I am not a literalist when it comes to scripture, so I have been accused of being a heretic by fundamentalists. My beliefs have evolved over time and that may be the best label for me. I wish that was an option because that is what I would choose on my profile.

Can that be added or is the list dictated by the program authors?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Since I have cracked the egg a bit here, I do have a question I will put to anyone with a handy answer: Why is "belief" important to God?

It helps with the order of things, that people who are non-theists can't just come crashing into a discussion by Christians about personal matters.

There are some areas on Tweb that are wide open to anybody, there are others only for women, and some only to men.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

When I signed up on TWEB, I put my faith down as "Christian" (for lack of a better term). I am not an inerrantist and I am not a literalist when it comes to scripture, so I have been accused of being a heretic by fundamentalists. My beliefs have evolved over time and that may be the best label for me. I wish that was an option because that is what I would choose on my profile.

Since I have cracked the egg a bit here, I do have a question I will put to anyone with a handy answer: Why is "belief" important to God?

I also do not subscribe to biblical inerrancy and I am open to non-literal interpretations of certain passages of scripture.

Belief in what do you ask? Inerrancy? I can't imagine that God would dwell too much on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

I also do not subscribe to biblical inerrancy and I am open to non-literal interpretations of certain passages of scripture.

Belief in what do you ask? Inerrancy? I can't imagine that God would dwell too much on that.
        I think he means "belief" as it applies to "Faith" label for designating permitted zones on Tweb.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

I think he means "belief" as it applies to "Faith" label for designating permitted zones on Tweb.
            Which is what I understood when I answered.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Inerrancy is not a requirement to be labeled a Christian although how can you trust what the bible says if you think it is not accurate? Generally to be considered "Christian" here you need to hold to the core doctrines of the faith, like the Trinity, etc. Although sometimes we do come across someone who does hold those core doctrines but are way in left field on some other issues that we make them change their faith designation.

If you want some other faith label on your profile, go here and choose what you want: https://theologyweb.com/campus/settings/profile or just PM Mossrose and let her know what to change it to. Normally someone who doesn't fit into the orthodox Christian label will be set to "Unorthodox" - but that means you can no longer post in the "Christian only" areas of the site see the main forum page to see which areas are off limits.

Comment

Machinist and NorrinRadd, yes.

We all have different cognitive abilities, we're all unique. We tend to visualize those things we cannot see into pictures we can best understand, which is why God was depicted so often as an old man with a long gray beard living in the clouds. So one person might visualize that - that's what he believes. Of course it's not true, so he is believing a falsehood. His mind picture is false. So how is this any different from what the Mormon believes or the JW? Why should God even care?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Inerrancy is not a requirement to be labeled a Christian although how can you trust what the bible says if you think it is not accurate? Generally to be considered "Christian" here you need to hold to the core doctrines of the faith, like the Trinity, etc. Although sometimes we do come across someone who does hold those core doctrines but are way in left field on some other issues that we make them change their faith designation.

If you want some other faith label on your profile, go here and choose what you want: https://theologyweb.com/campus/settings/profile or just PM Mossrose and let her know what to change it to. Normally someone who doesn't fit into the orthodox Christian label will be set to "Unorthodox" - but that means you can no longer post in the "Christian only" areas of the site see the main forum page to see which areas are off limits.
                  "Unorthodox" should suffice. I must have missed that one. Thanks.

Comment

We all have different cognitive abilities...
                    Speak for yourself, Sparko!

Comment

We all have different cognitive abilities, we're all unique. We tend to visualize those things we cannot see into pictures we can best understand, which is why God was depicted so often as an old man with a long gray beard living in the clouds. So one person might visualize that - that's what he believes. Of course it's not true, so he is believing a falsehood. His mind picture is false. So how is this any different from what the Mormon believes or the JW? Why should God even care?
                      Mormons believe that God was once a man on another planet. Then he became a god and made this planet. If you are a good Mormon, you will also become a God and make your own planet and people.

How is that anything like Christianity and the gospel? How can believing that save you if you are believing in a completely different gospel and God? I think God makes room for our errors in faith, but when you are believing in something completely different than what the true gospel is, then you are not saved and don't belong to God.

Comment

Mormons believe that God was once a man on another planet. Then he became a god and made this planet. If you are a good Mormon, you will also become a God and make your own planet and people.

How is that anything like Christianity and the gospel?
                        It's not, it's completely different. But why should God care? If he is allowing the error of an old man living in the clouds, but not allowing the error of an old man once living on another planet, I see little difference. None of us can get a clear picture of God, any more than an ant can comprehend a human being. So if none of us is getting a clear picture, I don't understand what the significance is between this error and that. They're all incorrect; none of us can properly comprehend God.

How can believing that save you if you are believing in a completely different gospel and God? I think God makes room for our errors in faith, but when you are believing in something completely different than what the true gospel is, then you are not saved and don't belong to God.
                        But the "true gospel" was written by men, in a book self-validating by men, and edited by men. Men can get together and agree what is the true gospel based on agreement, but they can't see God and get a direct depiction. Only the interpretations by men.

Comment

It's not, it's completely different. But why should God care? If he is allowing the error of an old man living in the clouds, but not allowing the error of an old man once living on another planet, I see little difference. None of us can get a clear picture of God, any more than an ant can comprehend a human being. So if none of us is getting a clear picture, I don't understand what the significance is between this error and that. They're all incorrect; none of us can properly comprehend God.

But the "true gospel" was written by men, in a book self-validating by men, and edited by men. Men can get together and agree what is the true gospel based on agreement, but they can't see God and get a direct depiction. Only the interpretations by men.
                          He cares because he wants us to know him and to choose to be on his side. That is why he revealed himself to us, and why he sent Jesus. The bible was written by men who were guided by God, who wrote down his revelations and events so that we future generations could know the truth. We are all condemned by our sins. The only way to avoid hell is for us to choose to be on God's side and accept the sacrifice Jesus made in our place. Basically the judge came down off the bench and took the sentence instead of condemning us to that sentence and all we have to do is believe and accept the gift and pardon. But how can you accept what you don't know about? If you don't know you are condemned how can you choose a pardon? That is what the gospel is for. To teach us why we need God and give us the opportunity to choose to accept his salvation.

Someone who believes a false gospel can't accept the true gift of salvation. Mormons think they can be gods themselves. We know we cannot. We will always be creatures and subject to God. To think you can be your own God and create your own people and planets is pure hubris and a lie from Satan. That cannot save you.

Comment

He cares because he wants us to know him and to choose to be on his side. That is why he revealed himself to us, and why he sent Jesus. The bible was written by men who were guided by God, who wrote down his revelations and events so that we future generations could know the truth. We are all condemned by our sins. The only way to avoid hell is for us to choose to be on God's side and accept the sacrifice Jesus made in our place. Basically the judge came down off the bench and took the sentence instead of condemning us to that sentence and all we have to do is believe and accept the gift and pardon. But how can you accept what you don't know about? If you don't know you are condemned how can you choose a pardon? That is what the gospel is for. To teach us why we need God and give us the opportunity to choose to accept his salvation.
                            This is the package, yes, but it doesn't make a lot of sense when you unpack it.

As humans beings, we understand what we see and experience around us. Some people are more intelligent and creative than most and can envision a reality that has never been experienced. But most people can't. When I weigh the Christian package, as you have well presented, I ask myself "Why does this immense God care that my tiny brain understand certain fundamentals? Fundamentals that have no comparison in the physical reality we live in? If it is so important that we have the correct basic knowledge, wouldn't this be better presented outside this corporeal reality that permeates our existence?"

It's like, I am an amphibian and I demand a squirrel understand what it's like to live underwater. That it is imperitive that it understand this aquatic existence, although it has never experienced it. If it doesn't visualize it sufficiently, according to my judgement, then the squirrel has failed. Why not toss the squirrel into the water and then ask it to understand being under water?

Someone who believes a false gospel can't accept the true gift of salvation. Mormons think they can be gods themselves. We know we cannot. We will always be creatures and subject to God. To think you can be your own God and create your own people and planets is pure hubris and a lie from Satan. That cannot save you.
                            I once worked with a Mormon and he didn't have a clue what his church taught. He was a Mormon because his family was Mormon, and it was a generational thing. All I ever got from him was that he was a theist.

Comment

Does the Mormon belief that we will all become gods mean that we will become God, or that we will just be small g's (god's)? Also, do they believe that once we become gods, we will no longer be subject to God?

If someone believes we will get our own planet and have dominion over it, I can't really see that being a problem no more than (as Ronson suggests), believing that God is an old bearded dude living in the skies and makes bets with the devil.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X