Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Decisional Regeneration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's say you were unconscious, but once the paramedic gets you to wake up, you could withdraw consent for further treatment and die or consent to further treatment and live. Everyone was unconscious, but let's say the emergency responder is miraculously able to make them conscious just long enough for them to respond favorably or not. And it need not be a one time deal. It could be a process.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
      Let's say you were unconscious, but once the paramedic gets you to wake up, you could withdraw consent for further treatment and die or consent to further treatment and live. Everyone was unconscious, but let's say the emergency responder is miraculously able to make them conscious just long enough for them to respond favorably or not. And it need not be a one-time deal. It could be a process.
      It doesn't work this way. It's more like the person is dead. and the responder shows up totally helpless. But God intervenes and raises the person from the dead, giving him a new heart that loves God.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post

You turn believing into salvation by works. Believing is an effect of Being saved. It is not the cause of it. Which you make it out to be.
        Why do you bother posting these threads at all? If we are only doing and believing what God wants us to believe, then you are not going to change our minds, after all changing your mind requires free will. And what we believe is what God wants us to believe so you are arguing against God himself. Which requires you have free will. So you are defeating your own argument.

Comment

If you were free, you wouldn't have a struggle between flesh (not free) and Spirit.
          Are you saying your spirit has free will?

Comment

It doesn't work this way. It's more like the person is dead. and the responder shows up totally helpless. But God intervenes and raises the person from the dead, giving him a new heart that loves God.
            The first responder is the Holy Spirit. Duh.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Why do you bother posting these threads at all? If we are only doing and believing what God wants us to believe, then you are not going to change our minds, after all changing your mind requires free will. And what we believe is what God wants us to believe so you are arguing against God himself. Which requires you have free will. So you are defeating your own argument.
              We are to preach the true gospel to the elect (already saved) to direct them into the truth. So It's a dirty job in places like this but someone has to do it.

Comment

We are to preach the true gospel to the elect (already saved) to direct them into the truth. So It's a dirty job in places like this but someone has to do it.
                How can you direct anyone anywhere if there is no free will? If there is no free will then everyone is just a puppet doing and thinking what God wants them to believe and your arguments can make no more difference than a gnat trying to stop an charging elephant. Your arguing is useless. If God wants me to believe the same as you then he would have already made me believe that. Your arguing with me won't change what I believe until God changes my mind. I am only believing what God wants me to believe so you are arguing against God, not me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

How can you direct anyone anywhere if there is no free will? If there is no free will then everyone is just a puppet doing and thinking what God wants them to believe and your arguments can make no more difference than a gnat trying to stop an charging elephant. Your arguing is useless. If God wants me to believe the same as you then he would have already made me believe that. Your arguing with me won't change what I believe until God changes my mind. I am only believing what God wants me to believe so you are arguing against God, not me.
                  Whether Satan controls you or God controls you, you cannot even control your tongue according to James.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                    Let's say you were unconscious, but once the paramedic gets you to wake up, you could withdraw consent for further treatment and die or consent to further treatment and live. Everyone was unconscious, but let's say the emergency responder is miraculously able to make them conscious just long enough for them to respond favorably or not. And it need not be a one time deal. It could be a process.
                    Seems a reasonable analogy for preaching the gospel to me.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

So you think Satan is as powerful as God? Mind controlling people sounds more like Satan if he were even able to do that. Like the creepy brain in A Wrinkle in Time.

Comment

If you were free, you could make your flesh sinless.
                        Then why couldn't the Apostle Paul?

For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice (Romans 7:19).
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Whether Satan controls you or God controls you, you cannot even control your tongue according to James.
                          If there is no free will then Satan has no free will either. God controls everything and everyone. You can't even blame Satan for his evil since he is only doing what God makes him do.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Then why couldn't the Apostle Paul?

For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice (Romans 7:19).
                            Short answer: That condition applies only for as long as a person is in the flesh, a condition that continues for some time after accepting Christ as lord. And then comes Romans 8:9
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Short answer: That condition applies only for as long as a person is in the flesh, a condition that continues for some time after accepting Christ as lord. And then comes Romans 8:9
                              Precisely. Our flesh is still slave to sin, so Dave's idiotic one liner is easily dismissed by scripture. There is a war between our sinful flesh and our free spirit.
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Does anybody else seem to think that discussing things with Dave is like discussing things with the Mormons.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X