Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Decisional Regeneration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

It still doesn't change the truth of scripture itself.

Absolutely not. Your twisted Calvinism is the only way you can get that out of the scriptures.
    Many fail to grasp the meaning of scripture. It only proves they wrestle it to their own destruction.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post

But it falls on deaf ears unless God first saves you.
      A person who is dead in his sins is NOT saved, yet people believe the gospel while they are yet dead in their sins. They believe before they are saved, while they are still dead in their sins. Even if the nonsense that there are two kinds of belief is accepted, it is by this so called "flesh belief" that they believe - and it is that belief by which they are granted the opportunity to be saved.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

A person who is dead in his sins is NOT saved, yet people believe the gospel while they are yet dead in their sins. They believe before they are saved, while they are still dead in their sins. Even if the nonsense that there are two kinds of belief is accepted, it is by this so called "flesh belief" that they believe - and it is that belief by which they are granted the opportunity to be saved.
        That is why you must be born again before you can believe.

Comment

Many fail to grasp the meaning of scripture. It only proves they wrestle it to their own destruction.
          Like Calvin.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Like Calvin.
            Now there's a challenge for you. Try to prove Him wrong on sin and grace. What if he is right. Imagine how many people hate God as he defines him. And worship an idol instead. = Most in the churches are not saved.

Comment

That is why you must be born again before you can believe.
              As elsewhere, so also here.
              Whether to believe you or to believe scripture?
              So very not a quandary.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Do you think only believers use scripture?
                David Koresh certainly used it, and you're sounding a lot like him ---- "you have it all wrong, only I can teach you how it works".

Dave, you seem to constantly be trying to put carts before horses, and straining at gnats, and delving into legalism.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Let's say you are correct, so what? The result is the same, they are saved, even if they might think that they were saved by their "decision" at the altar call. If you are correct then the altar call is just a meaningless ceremony that doesn't save them, but they are still saved none the less. There has to be a point where the person confesses to follow Jesus publicly if he is truly saved.

Matthew 10:32
                  I use the altar call, but I don't intend it primarily for people to "get saved". To me, we should be witnessing during the week, and the "altar call" is that time when we bring our new brothers and sisters to meet their family, and they get to publicly profess Christ.

Or, it's a time when somebody can ask for prayer, or share a concern.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Now there's a challenge for you. Try to prove Him wrong on sin and grace. What if he is right. Imagine how many people hate God as he defines him. And worship an idol instead. = Most in the churches are not saved.
                    Been there done that. Calvin's TULIP is a rotted flower that came about a dozen centuries after the early church. Free will litters the writings of the early church leaders. It is the historic scriptural position.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Been there done that. Calvin's TULIP is a rotted flower that came about a dozen centuries after the early church. Free will litters the writings of the early church leaders. It is the historic scriptural position.
                      I would use "flows from" rather than "litters".

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I would use "flows from" rather than "litters".
                        Good point. Multitasking FTW!!!
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The Catholics center their salvation scheme on free will. ALL of the Reformers proved it wrong. Read Luther's Bondage of the Will and learn a few things about it.

Comment

The Catholics center their salvation scheme on free will.
                            I don't think you can really say that -- they have the "hope" of Salvation, but so much of it is dependent on their Church. They certainly don't seem to be able to express any "assurance" of Salvation.

Comment

The Catholics center their salvation scheme on free will. ALL of the Reformers proved it wrong. Read Luther's Bondage of the Will and learn a few things about it.
                              Luther isn't an Apostle or Bible author. And I frankly could not care less what Catholics do. They aren't the original church.
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Do you think only believers use scripture? Many use it just as witches use chants and omens thinking they can control God. Are you not trying to control God into saving you by reciting Romans 10:10?
                                You tell us to use scripture to prove what we are saying and when we do you accuse us of using scripture as witchcraft to control God?

Dave, I am thinking you are a Pharisee. Or maybe the elevator doesn't reach to top floor.

The problem with your theology is that if indeed God controls our every thought and action as you believe then everything we are doing is God's will and that means you are arguing against God, not us. Or to be even more specific, it means that God is arguing through you with God speaking through us. You make God into a schizophrenic monster who not only authors sin and then punishes those who are just doing what he wants, but then argues with himself about it.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X