Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What Faith is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Given that the word is πιστις (pistis) it would be quite a surprise if some Bibles didn't translate it as "faith." Koine Greek does not distinguish between the two.
    Well, there's that.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Well, there's that.
      And come to think of it - nor did English, back in the when. There are still remnants, such as "Keeping faith with someone" or "acting in good faith" but they are few and seldom used.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

[QUOTE=Zymologist;n1341058]
        Originally posted by Dave L View Post

What would you say is the correct answer to the question "What must I do to be saved?"
        The correct answer is "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ - which necessarily entails believe what he said. You can't make a valid claim to believe in someone if you don't believe them."
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

And come to think of it - nor did English, back in the when. There are still remnants, such as "Keeping faith with someone" or "acting in good faith" but they are few and seldom used.
          I checked Young's Literal - I was sold then!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I checked Young's Literal - I was sold then!
            Did you get a good price for yourself?
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Did you get a good price for yourself?
              A buck three ninety eight!

Comment

A buck three ninety eight!
                I heard inflation was a problem in America. Now I believe it.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I heard inflation was a problem in America. Now I believe it.

Comment

That says that confessing with the mouth is what saves, not faith.
                    But you must "believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead" which sure sounds like faith.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

God saves, faith follows.
                      God extends His grace to all. Faith allows us to receive it. When we receive it we are saved.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        But you must "believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead" which sure sounds like faith.
                        I make no argument that faith is not involved - with the proviso that believing in Christ inextricably involves believing what he says - as no claim to believe in anyone is credible if you don't believe what they say.

The claim that faith is the sole factor is, however, entirely discredited by scripture, and in Romans 10:10, the outcome of believing is righteousness, not salvation.
                        Last edited by tabibito; 01-11-2022, 10:24 AM.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

You probably are already saved or you would not be asking the question. Jesus says whoever believes has eternal life. Asking verifies that you believe.
                          Was the jailer who asked the question in Acts 16 already saved?
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post

Was the jailer who asked the question in Acts 16 already saved?
                            He was already saved or he would not have asked. Jesus said whoever believes has eternal life. Again. this guy believed or he would not have asked.

Comment

He was already saved or he would not have asked. Jesus said whoever believes has eternal life. Again. this guy believed or he would not have asked.
                              Then why was Paul and Silas' answer to this very question "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved"?
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post

Then why was Paul and Silas' answer to this very question "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved"?
                                Paul reassured him as a fellow believer. Your works theology prevents you from seeing this.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X