Pope Francis strikes down great commission mandate (Broad minded version, all are welcome, just stay on topic!)

It seems that the pope has asked Catholics not to proselytise but to live out the Gospel.

That's strange, because in its history, the RCC has been known to proselytise very vigorously, and not just by talking about, but by acting out, living out, the Gospel. And considering that warning people about the bad outcome that awaits them for being ignorant about the Gospel, strictly, any way of warning can be justified.

Many motion pictures have shown the sacrificial nature of the Catholic missionaries, like Scorcese's eponymous film, The Mission, and recently, The Silence, about missionaries in South America, and Japan, respectively.

What may have prompted the Pope's statement could be how missionaries almost always used colonial efforts, the conquering of foreign countries for financial gain, to gain access to their inhabitants, for conversion. It would seem that the missionaries would have also needed to stop the exploitation by their country men, before preaching to the foreigners, instead of supporting, even using them. It gave the impression that certain means were permissible, as long as you could justify it by saying it was for the greater good, making righteousness very subjective.

Maybe the pope wants Catholics to be more consistent. Maybe he even wants them to start apologising about the behavior of the original missionaries, and not be like them, but only show how Catholics can be more righteous, in their overall behaviour.

If you look at the Gospels, Christians were to take up difficult tasks and be helped by God, leading others to God, motivating them to also be righteous, because God existed and rewarded righteousness.

Again, if you look at it, that was the original intent of the Sinaitic Covenant. Israel would live a sacrificial life (for example, they would release debts and slaves every Jubilee!). These seem foolish to the world, would normally ruin, but because God was in the picture, Israel would instead of being ruined would prosper.

They were not like Egypt, having a mechanistic link to living and prospering, being near a huge source of water, basically, who thought they didn't have to depend on God:

The Land they lived in was dependent on God: He would give rain for good works, withhold it for disobedience.

Deut 11
10For the land, whither thou goest in to possess it, is not as the land of Egypt, from whence ye came out, where thou sowedst thy seed, and wateredst it with thy foot, as a garden of herbs: 11but the land, whither ye go to possess it, is a land of hills and valleys, and drinketh water of the rain of heaven: 12a land which the LORD thy God careth for: the eyes of the LORD thy God are always upon it, from the beginning of the year even unto the end of the year.

13And it shall come to pass, if ye shall hearken diligently unto my commandments which I command you this day, to love the LORD your God, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul, 14that I will give you the rain of your land in his due season, the first rain and the latter rain, that thou mayest gather in thy corn, and thy wine, and thine oil. 15And I will send grass in thy fields for thy cattle, that thou mayest eat and be full.

This was his Israel was to be a light to the world, guiding them to follow God:

Deut 4
7For what great nation is there that has a god so near to it as is the LORD our God whenever we call on Him? 8Or what great nation is there that has statutes and judgments as righteous as this whole Law which I am setting before you today?

God could raise up from the earth anybody who picked up a cross, if that person was in the Promised Land.

And that Land prefigured Jesus:

1 Cor 15
3For I handed down to you [b]as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,

Maybe that is what the Pope meant.