Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

In Case With Global Implications, Finland Puts Christians On Trial For Their Faith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Case With Global Implications, Finland Puts Christians On Trial For Their Faith

In Case With Global Implications, Finland Puts Christians On Trial For Their Faith

pastor.jpg

Juhana Pohjola wouldn’t be cast to play his own part if Hollywood made a movie about a bishop put on trial for his faith. The Finnish pastor has inherited a place in the church of Martin Luther, but it appears none of Luther’s pugnacity or vitriol.

In person, Pohjola, 49, is forthright but unassuming, and gentle. Stereotypically, the Finn is thin and tall. He often pauses while speaking to carefully consider his next words. He listens attentively to others with far less impressive resumes.

In more than two decades as a pastor, Pohjola has ministered to congregations as small as 30. He has spent his life building a network of faithful churches across Finland, many of which started with a few people gathered for prayer, Bible study, hymn-singing—and communion, if they can get a pastor. In an in-person interview with The Federalist, Pohjola urged fellow Christian leaders to be willing to seek out “one lost sheep” instead of crowds and acclaim.

This is the man who appears to be the first in the post-Soviet Union West to be brought up on criminal charges for preaching the Christian message as it has been established for thousands of years. Also charged in the case that goes to trial on January 24 is Pohjola’s fellow Lutheran and a Finnish member of Parliament, Paivi Rasanen.

Rasanen’s alleged crimes in a country that claims to guarantee freedom of speech and religion include tweeting a picture of a Bible verse. Potential penalties if they are convicted include fines and up to two years in prison.

Finnish Authorities: The Bible Is Hate Speech

Rasanen and Pohjola are being charged with “hate speech” for respectively writing and publishing a 24-page 2004 booklet that explains basic Christian theology about sex and marriage, which reserves sex exclusively for within marriage, which can only consist of one man and one woman, for life. The Finnish prosecutor claims centuries-old Christian teachings about sex “incite hatred” and violate legal preferences for government-privileged identity groups.

Writer Rod Dreher pointed out the witch hunt nature of this prosecution: “Räsänen wrote that pamphlet seven years before LGBT was added to the national hate-speech law as a protected class. She was investigated once before for the pamphlet, and cleared — but now she’s going to undergo another interrogation.”

Rasanen and Pohjola both have adamantly affirmed “the divinely given dignity, value, and human rights of all, including all who identify with the LGBTQ community.” Christian theology teaches that all human beings are precious, as all are made in God’s image and offered eternal life through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

In advance of the trial, Rasanen and Pohjola have been interrogated by police for hours about their theology. Pohjola told me in the interrogation police treated Christian beliefs as thought crimes. In a statement, Rasanen noted that the police publicly admitted their interpretation of Finland’s law would make publishing the Bible a hate crime.

“It is impossible for me to think that the classical Christian views and the doctrine of the majority of denominations would become illegal. The question here is about the core of Christian faith; how a person gets saved into unity with God and into everlasting life though the redemptive sacrifice of Jesus. Therefore, it is crucial to also talk about the nature of sin,” Rasanen told Dreher. “As we are living in a democratic country, we must be able to disagree and express our disagreement. We have to be able to cope with speech that we feel insults our feelings. Many questions are so debatable and contradictory that we have to have the possibility of discussing. Otherwise the development is towards a totalitarian system, with only one correct view.”
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Lord come soon.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This writing has been on the wall for quite a while. I believe Canada has a near similar position. I think we'd better start prepping for what's coming.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
        This writing has been on the wall for quite a while. I believe Canada has a near similar position. I think we'd better start prepping for what's coming.
        On a positive note, the Church has always done better under persecution - it's kind of a purifying and purging.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

On a positive note, the Church has always done better under persecution - it's kind of a purifying and purging.
          It's sort of like major surgery. The process and recovery are no fun but the results are usually better. It will cleanout a lot bad doctrine like the prosperity gospel, God wants you to be happy and successful, etc.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

It's sort of like major surgery. The process and recovery are no fun but the results are usually better. It will cleanout a lot bad doctrine like the prosperity gospel, God wants you to be happy and successful, etc.
            One would think -- like the "trying by fire", burning out the dross and improving the product.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              One would think -- like the "trying by fire", burning out the dross and improving the product.
              I think it's a pity that the church, generally speaking, has stopped preaching on sin, the Fall, and redemption. If they did, I think there would be more Christians produced than good citizens of the world. Well, it's the times we live in so let's keep our eyes on God.

Comment

I think it's a pity that the church, generally speaking, has stopped preaching on sin, the Fall, and redemption. If they did, I think there would be more Christians produced than good citizens of the world. Well, it's the times we live in so let's keep our eyes on God.
                We still do that old-fashioned stuff at our church. Just recently, been focusing on Jesus being God's Agent of Creation, Agent of Redemption, and Agent of Judgment.

Comment

This sort of dystopian idiocy is downright terrifying. It doesn't appear they've even been charged with actually causing a specific negative effect, as in a demonstrated direct impact on a person or persons. This is a government entity telling people what they can think and say. Well, there go my thoughts of ever visiting Finland.
                  "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                    This sort of dystopian idiocy is downright terrifying. It doesn't appear they've even been charged with actually causing a specific negative effect, as in a demonstrated direct impact on a person or persons. This is a government entity telling people what they can think and say. Well, there go my thoughts of ever visiting Finland.
                    Was Finland ever on your list of places to see?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It is less about Christian persecution than it is about freedom of speech. "Hate speech" is nothing more than an assault on everyones' freedom of expression.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                        It is less about Christian persecution than it is about freedom of speech. "Hate speech" is nothing more than an assault on everyones' freedom of expression.
                        Hate speech is effectively an umbrella-term for covering anything that someone disagrees with and is upset by that.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Was Finland ever on your list of places to see?
                          Pretty far down the list, but yes actually.
                          "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                            Sure. Except, expressing one's own religious beliefs that do not condone certain behaviors is *NOT* hate speech. These days, however, "tolerance" means approving of someone's beliefs, rather than....you know....tolerating those beliefs. No one is under any obligation to endorse someone else's lifestyle, nor are they required to censor such opinions in public. And they shouldn't be.

However, if we ARE under such an obligation because of the groupthink and oppressive legislation, then I'd like my own lifestyle affirmed as well. Someone should charge the prosecutor in Finland for hate speech against Christians. Fair is fair, after all.
                            Last edited by myth; 12-25-2021, 09:27 AM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X