Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What is the Gospel?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

One thing that comes across clearly in the scriptural record - the gospel is something to be obeyed. Just a few verses that are relevant

Acts 14:15A and saying, “Men, why are you doing these things? We also are men with the same nature as you, and preach to you that you should turn from these useless things to the living God

Romans 6:17 But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered.

1 Peter 4:17 For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?

The Gospel is the arrival of the Kingdom of God amongst men, the spiritual state where believers could be blessings to the world, presenting God to the world, through signs, so that the world would be subdued, motivated to serve God, who gave this ability.

The obedience to the Gospel would then be expressed as the command to enter this state, through righteousness, demonstrated by loyalty, like Abraham and Caleb, being the purpose God created humanity. These two knew of the plan of God, through being directly covenanted by Him, informed of His will. The rest of humanity is required to enquire about and also enter that covenant. They must overcome the confusion presented by the religious leaders, who neither enter, not allow others to enter, and demand entry, through loyalty, as taught by John the Baptist and Jesus, to do good works, not not neglect the weightier requirements of the law:

Matt 11
    12From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven has suffered violence, and forceful people lay hold of it.

Matt 21
    ​​​​​31Which of the two did the will of his father?” They said, “The first.” Jesus said to them, “Truly I say to you that the tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the kingdom of God before you.
    Last edited by footwasher; 10-01-2021, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• "Gospel" and "proclamation" (of good news) are largely interchangable terms. The gospel is ABOUT the coming of the kingdom of Heaven, it is not itself the coming of the kingdom of Heaven.

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

"Gospel" and "proclamation" (of good news) are largely interchangable terms. The gospel is ABOUT the coming of the kingdom of Heaven, it is not itself the coming of the kingdom of Heaven.
        John 6
        32Jesus then said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, it is not Moses who has given you the bread out of heaven, but it is My Father who gives you the true bread out of heaven.

Luke 7
        22And He answered and said to them, “Go and report to John what you have seen and heard: people who were blind receive sight, people who limped walk, people with leprosy are cleansed and people who were deaf hear, dead people are raised up, and people who are poor have the gospel preached to them.

Luke 11
        20But if I cast out the demons by the finger of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

The Gospel is the announcement of the ability to be blessings to the world by being in the promised land, where dispensing milk and honey, abilty to feed people food from heaven through the finger of God, can be done.

We need continuity from Adam to Abraham to Moses to Christ.
        Last edited by footwasher; 10-01-2021, 10:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by footwasher View Post

Luke 12
          And He answered and said to them, “Go and report to John what you have seen and heard: people who were blind receive sight, people who limped walk, people with leprosy are cleansed and people who were deaf hear, dead people are raised up, and people who are poor have the gospel preached to them.
          So then - the gospel is that which is preached. synonyms: proclaim, teach, spread, propagate, expound, explain.

It is preaching (the good news).

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

So then - the gospel is that which is preached. synonyms: proclaim, teach, spread, propagate, expound, explain.

The good news is that the ability to subdue the earth, draw the world to God, like Adam had the mandate of, has been restored.

Jesus, in drawing the world through signs, the supreme sign being the cross, modeled the power of the Kingdom:

Ep 2
            10For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance as our way of life.

Is 45
            7I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Jn 9
            1As Jesus passed by, He saw a man who had been blind from birth. 2And His disciples asked Him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he would be born blind?” 3Jesus answered, “It was neither that this man sinned, nor his parents; but it was so that the works of God might be displayed in him. 4We must carry out the works of Him who sent Me as long as it is day; night is coming, when no one can work. 5While I am in the world, I am the Light of the world.”

Jn 12
            32And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.

Jn 3
            1Now there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews; 2this man came to [a]Jesus at night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You have come from God as a teacher; for no one can do these [b]signs that You do unless God is with him.”

Joshua 2
            8Now before they lay down, she came up to them on the roof, 9and said to the men, “I know that the LORD has given you the land, and that the terror of you has fallen on us, and that all the inhabitants of the land have melted away before you. 10“For we have heard how the LORD dried up the water of the Red Sea before you when you came out of Egypt, and what you did to the two kings of the Amorites who were beyond the Jordan, to Sihon and Og, whom you utterly destroyed. 11“When we heard it, our hearts melted and no courage remained in any man any longer because of you; for the LORD your God, He is God in heaven above and on earth beneath.

The mind boggles. God created evil, calamity, the world in an incomplete state, in advance, for Adam to subdue.
            Last edited by footwasher; 10-01-2021, 11:19 PM.

Comment

• Summarizing, if a person announces the availability of jobs, subduing creation, leading the world to God, like a wrangler leads horses that were running wild, one by one, to the Owner of a new ranch, using techniques taught by God, and shows the techniques that have to be learnt, then he is preaching the Gospel.

Again, if I pick up crosses, attempt healing or answering of puzzling questions, and if God lifts me up, gives me solutions, and if I tell people who ask me, that I am doing the job of revealing God's willingness and ability to help, in doing jobs which bless the world, jobs which are available and possible to perform in the Promised Land/Kingdom, a spiritual state to be sought, and received, as promised to people who have faith, children of Abraham, then I am preaching the Gospel.

Luke 7
              22Then Jesus answering said unto them, Go your way, and tell John what things ye have seen and heard; how that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, to the poor the gospel is preached.

Luke 11
              20But if I drive out demons by the finger of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

So we have to go through and pass a training, which will be given, if we believe that jobs and training are available and can be received, to do those jobs, of being blessings to the world.

Let's be like the Galatians in believing the jobs and training, leading to receiving gains that don't rust and perish, were available:

Gal 3
              2I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law, or by hearing with faith?

But let's not be like them in trying to avoid the training:

Gal 3
              3Are you so foolish? After starting in the Spirit, are you now finishing in the flesh?

Or be like Israel, who who wanted to escape a bad life situation, but did not want to take the narrow route to a better one:

Psalm 78
              19They spoke against God; they said, “Can God really spread a table in the wilderness?

1 Cor 10
              1I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that our forefathers were all under the cloud, and that they all passed through the sea. 2They were all baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea. 3They all ate the same spiritual food 4and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ. 5Nevertheless, God was not pleased with most of them, for they were struck down in the wilderness.

Comment

• Rom 1 :16

16For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

I am going to get straight to the point, and that is, there is simply no gospel being preached without preaching the doctrine of election [election of grace], and the fact that the Gospel begins in God [Rom 1:1] as the Gospel of God, As it proceeds from the Eternal Counsels of God as its root and foundation, for this evident from pauls writings here 2 Tim 1:8-11

8Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;

9Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

10But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

11Whereunto I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles.

Also Titus 1:1-2

1Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

2In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began; 3But hath in due times manifested his word through preaching, which is committed unto me according to the commandment of God our Saviour;

This Gospel of God elucidates How that God in Eternity Past, chooses a Special Beloved People, to Be His Portion, His Inheritance, to whom He prized and Valued above all others..

Deut 32:9

9For the LORD's portion is his people; Jacob is the lot of his inheritance.

Deut 7:6

6For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.

Paul writes on the Saints being Gods Inheritance..Eph 1:18

The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, [not the children of the devil]

God having chosen them and gave them to the Son of His Love for their personal safe keeping and preservation..Jn 17:2

2As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him. [the disciples, save judas, represented all them given to Jesus christ]

Now God the Father, decreeing to make manifest this Great Love, He has for His Son, and His chosen in Him and with Him, decree their awful fall in Adam, of which He covenanted with His Son for their redcovery, and redemption, through His blood [ Eph 1:7]..

And in line with this purpose, God also decreed for some of mankind to come into this world, also having a terrible fall in their Father the devil, but in order to Show His High Sovereignty in dispensing His salvation blessings, God purposed not to have mercy on that portion of mankind, Hence, distinctly making Manifest His Special Love for His chosen Inheritance..

Micah 7:18

Who is a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of his heritage [inheritance]? he retaineth not his anger for ever, because he delighteth in mercy.

This must be preached in the Gospel of Christ, cannot be ashamed of.

Comment

• Originally posted by brightfame52 View Post

This must be preached in the Gospel of Christ, cannot be ashamed of.
                  Use proper English and stay on topic, which is, post answers to the question, WHAT IS THE GOSPEL?.

Comment

• In continuing with the gospel, and some of its vital doctrinal truths that must be proclaimed, God through the blood of Jesus Christ had determined to bestow upon His chosen people, the elect, Faith and Repentance with the remission of Sins..

Those preaching a false gospel, have taken what God has promised to give and bestow upon His children, i.e Faith and Repentance and have turned them into conditions of salvation, duties that one must perform to get saved. But this is a perversion of the truth of the gospel..

We see here that repentance and faith are freely bestowed upon a certain definite people:

Zech 12:10

10And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem,[particular people] the spirit of grace and of supplications:[repentance] and they shall look [believe in /Faith] upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn [repentance] for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

This picture is what occurred specifically on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2..

And is the grand example of what occurs with all of Gods elect some time during their journey on earth..

The thief on the cross experienced it in the very twilight of his life..

So instead of preaching repentance and faith as conditions for salvation [false gospel] they should as peter did, be preaching that God through Jesus their Saviour gives [not offers] repentance and remission of Sins to the elect, the Israel of God..

Acts 5:30-31

30The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.

31Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Comment

Telling people about Jesus in the Power of the Holy Spirit, leaving the results to God.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by brightfame52 View Post
                        In continuing with the gospel, and some of its vital doctrinal truths that must be proclaimed, God through the blood of Jesus Christ had determined to bestow upon His chosen people, the elect, Faith and Repentance with the remission of Sins..

Those preaching a false gospel, have taken what God has promised to give and bestow upon His children, i.e Faith and Repentance and have turned them into conditions of salvation, duties that one must perform to get saved. But this is a perversion of the truth of the gospel..

We see here that repentance and faith are freely bestowed upon a certain definite people:

Zech 12:10

10And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem,[particular people] the spirit of grace and of supplications:[repentance] and they shall look [believe in /Faith] upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn [repentance] for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

This picture is what occurred specifically on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2..

And is the grand example of what occurs with all of Gods elect some time during their journey on earth..

The thief on the cross experienced it in the very twilight of his life..

So instead of preaching repentance and faith as conditions for salvation [false gospel] they should as peter did, be preaching that God through Jesus their Saviour gives [not offers] repentance and remission of Sins to the elect, the Israel of God..

Acts 5:30-31

30The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.

31Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
                        So in summary, you are saying the Gospel is the news that God has given faith and repentance to his Chosen People, Israel.

But Israel was cut off for disbelief.

God gave Israel faith and repentance and she did not believe? And was cut off?

That's not good news, that's bad news! Your gospel is wrong!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Telling people about Jesus in the Power of the Holy Spirit, leaving the results to God.
                          HI Cowpoke. Thanks for your post. I request you to tell me more about Jesus, specifically the facts that can be categorized as good news, after you make sure you are doing it in the power of the Holy Spirit, which I request you also explain how it can be confirmed as such.

As for leaving the results to God, it seems like a view similar to Irresistible grace: in other words, it is God who changes a person, rather than the person changing himself. That seems to make no sense of the many places in Scripture asking people to repent, meta noia, change their mind, wouldn't it? Are you supporting a monergistic view of salvation, then? I always thought you were not very supportive of Calvinism? Is there some need to clarify to yourself your own view, or have you changed? Just asking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

How could you think such a thing? You must have the approval of the church leadership, and educational qualifications, and ...

The last thing you need is people running around acting in accord with scripture.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

How could you think such a thing? You must have the approval of the church leadership, and educational qualifications, and ...

The last thing you need is people running around acting in accord with scripture.
                              Silly silly me - we might end up with another Great Awakening or something!
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Aww! Tabibito (Traveller!), you stalled Cowpoke's possible foray into the world of substantial discussions, instead of his usual inconsequential comments.

By breaking down the elements of the question, I really expected him to trot out solid statements of the orthodox view, so that they could be re-examined for structural soundness.

Don't be a wet blanket, yes?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X