Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Repentance is the Gift Of God !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now some might say that the verse Acts 5:31 doesn't say anything about Christ the Savior giving Faith, but only Repentance to Israel [Gods Elect People]. Thats no problem however because Gospel evangelical repentance contains faith, for this repentance acknowledges, embraces the Truth 2 Tim 2:25

In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth

Notice that the word give here is the same word give in Acts 5:31 when its stated God gives repentance to Israel, but here in the 2 Tim 2:25 verse repentance is clarified in that it gives the acknowledging of the Truth.

I Titus 1:1 its recognized as the Faith of Gods Elect

Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

So contrary to what mans religion teaches, that faith and repentance are conditions men perform in order to get justified or righteous before God, they are gracious gifts given by the Savior when He saves them, wherein they evidence Christ has saved them !4b

Comment

Originally posted by footwasher View Post

Sorry, Israel was given repentance? How come she did not believe? How come she was cut off?
      The Israel in Acts 5:31 wasnt cut off.

Comment

Originally posted by brightfame52 View Post

The Israel in Acts 5:31 wasnt cut off.
        Scripture says Israel, God's children were given bread, the official opportunity to repent, unlike the Gentiles, who were like the dogs getting accidentally dropped food. Jesus specifically told his disciples only to go to the Jews. Yet Chorazin and Bethesda were condemned. If the same opportunity to repent would have been given to Sidon and Tyre, they would have repented, in ashes.

So the repentance given to Israel wasn't like they were reprogrammed. Their fault was unbelief. Judaism was cut off.

Comment

Originally posted by footwasher View Post

Scripture says Israel, God's children were given bread, the official opportunity to repent, unlike the Gentiles, who were like the dogs getting accidentally dropped food. Jesus specifically told his disciples only to go to the Jews. Yet Chorazin and Bethesda were condemned. If the same opportunity to repent would have been given to Sidon and Tyre, they would have repented, in ashes.

So the repentance given to Israel wasn't like they were reprogrammed. Their fault was unbelief. Judaism was cut off.
          It is Israel. So repentance isnt given to all, for all men arent of Israel, correct ?

Comment

It is Israel. So repentance isnt given to all, for all men arent of Israel, correct ?

C'mon, get with the groove, daddy-o!

When Israel rejected the opportunity to repent, like Bethesda and Chorazin, the Kingdom, opportunity to repent, was taken away from her and given to other nations, the Gentiles. God PLANNED it, the intention to give repentance to ALL men, so Israel consists of both Jew and Gentile.

Rom 9.6It is not as though the word of God had failed. For not all those who are descended from Israel are truly Israel, 7nor are all the children Abraham’s true descendants; rather “through Isaac will your descendants be counted.” 8This means it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God; rather, the children of promise are counted as descendants.

God plans to give the opportunity of repentance to all men.

Israel asks for the Law, to give it special favours.

God allows the special favour.

God hardens Israel so that it disobeys, refuses to accept His Messiah, even though He is described in Tanakh, the Law and Prophets.

God then cuts off Israel and gives opportunity to repent to all men.

So God's original plan is fulfilled.

Comment

When religionist make faith or repentance or anything else for that matter conditions man must meet in order to get saved or justified before God they do disparage the death and blood of Christ ! What they are saying whether they know it or not is Christs blood alone was inadequate to Justify them for whom it was shed. This does contradict Rom 5:9

Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

Comment

When religionist make faith or repentance or anything else for that matter conditions man must meet in order to get saved or justified before God they do disparage the death and blood of Christ !
                Well, the Bible makes faith and repentance conditions for being saved, as well as the blood of Christ:

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—9 not by works, so that no one can boast." (Eph 2:8–9)

We need to be cautious about building a theological point on one verse of Scripture, without taking the whole counsel of God in view.

“Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” (Ro 10:13}
                "... and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ..." (1 Peter 3:21)
                "Turn to me and be saved, all you ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other..." (Is 45:22)

Blessings,
                Lee
                "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

lee

Well, the Bible makes faith and repentance conditions for being saved, as well as the blood of Christ:
                  Thats in your imagination friend. And its deadly im afraid.

Comment

Thats in your imagination friend. And its deadly im afraid.
                    Well, you skipped the verses I posted about salvation! Here is another one, about believing in order to be saved:

"Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved." (Luke 8:12)

Blessings,
                    Lee
                    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

When religionist make faith or repentance or anything else for that matter conditions man must meet in order to get saved or justified before God they are introducing works into the equation. These acts or human actions become equal determinants for Salvation/Justification which robs Christ of His Glory and gives prideful man an occasion to boast ! 8b

Comment

When religionist make faith or repentance or anything else for that matter conditions man must meet in order to get saved or justified before God they are introducing works into the equation.
                        Not according to Scripture! You are skipping the verses I've quoted.

These acts or human actions become equal determinants for Salvation/Justification which robs Christ of His Glory and gives prideful man an occasion to boast ! 8b
                        And not if repentance and faith are gifts from God, which indeed they are.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast." (Eph. 2:8-9)

Blessings,
                        Lee

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                          Not according to Scripture! You are skipping the verses I've quoted.

And not if repentance and faith are gifts from God, which indeed they are.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast." (Eph. 2:8-9)

Blessings,
                          Lee
                          You still dont get it !

Comment

You still dont get it !
                            Are you well?

Comment

When religionist make faith or repentance or anything else for that matter conditions man must meet in order to get saved or justified before God they are flat out denying the effectualness of His death/blood !9b

Comment

When religionist make faith or repentance or anything else for that matter conditions man must meet in order to get saved or justified before God they are flat out denying the effectualness of His death/blood !9b
                                When the Passover Lamb was slain, God was promising that He would create a new Garden, cleansed by the blood of His Son, where He and His Children would walk together and bring Creation out of its futility.

But to enter the Garden, humanity needed to believe, have faith!

Unbelief removed Adam from the Garden, and unbelief prevented Israel from re-entering the Garden.

We should not be like them, who because of unbelief made God swear that they would never enter His Rest.

We may return to the same conclusion that we reached before: the sacrifice of animals is inadequate to achieve final cleansing, nor can it cleanse anything more than the copies of heavenly things. Then who will bring the definitive sacrifice? A man must do it. A similar point is made indirectly in Num. 35:33-34: “Do not pollute the land where you are. Bloodshed pollutes the land, and atonement cannot be made for the land on which blood has been shed, except by the blood of the one who shed it. Do not defile the land where you live and where I dwell, for I, the LORD, dwell among the Israelites.” When a man had shed blood, the man must die. But there is one exception, when the blood of the death of the high priest releases a manslaughterer to return home (Num. 35:25-28). The blood of the high priest has special value. In agreement with this principle, Zech. 3 uses all the symbolism of a defiled human high priest Joshua and then speaks mysteriously of the Branch in connection with which “I will remove the sin of this land in a single day” (Zech. 3:9).

https://frame-poythress.org/ebooks/t...-law-of-moses/

Do your part, brother. Believe.

And don't keep copying and pasting from watered down commentaries.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X