Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Repentance is the Gift Of God !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repentance is the Gift Of God !

I'm going to share a few scriptures on repentance. Acts 5:31

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Acts 11:18

18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Acts 20:21

21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

The greek word for repentance in these verses is metanoia and means:

change of mind, repentance

Usage: repentance, a change of mind, change in the inner man.

Notice also in Acts 5 and Acts 11 the God is said to give or grant this repentance. This repentance towards God is something man doesn't have naturally, it must be furnished by God. Its Gods Gift to His Chosen People.1

Originally posted by brightfame52 View Post
    I'm going to share a few scriptures on repentance. Acts 5:31

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Acts 11:18

18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Acts 20:21

21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

The greek word for repentance in these verses is metanoia and means:

change of mind, repentance

Usage: repentance, a change of mind, change in the inner man.

Notice also in Acts 5 and Acts 11 the God is said to give or grant this repentance. This repentance towards God is something man doesn't have naturally, it must be furnished by God. Its Gods Gift to His Chosen People.1
    Israel was like a ground that drank rain but never bore fruit, green vegetation:

Hebrews 6. 4For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6and then have [e]fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, [f]since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame. 7For ground that drinks the rain which often [g]falls on it and produces vegetation useful to those for whose sake it is also tilled, receives a blessing from God; 8but if it yields thorns and thistles, it is worthless and [h]close to being cursed, and [i]it ends up being burned.

Abraham saw God's great works in rescuing from King Abhimelech and Pharoah. He remembered it, so when God asked him to sacrifice Isaac, he knew God would raise Isaac back from the dead.

Caleb saw God's great works in feeding and watering Israel in the wilderness. He remembered them and so when God asked him to fight the Amalekites, he obeyed, knowing God would raise him up if he died.

However, Israel did not trust God, even though she said she did:

Psalms 106.21They forgot God their Savior,

Who had done great things in Egypt,

22[q]Wonders in the land of Ham,

And awesome things by the [r]Red Sea.

Because of this,

Numbers 14.20So the LORD said, “I have forgiven them in accordance with your word; 21however, as I live, [k]all the earth will be filled with the glory of the LORD. 22Certainly all the people who have seen My glory and My signs which I performed in Egypt and in the wilderness, yet have put Me to the test these ten times and have not listened to My voice, 23shall by no means see the land which I swore to their fathers, nor shall any of those who were disrespectful to Me see it. 24But as for My servant Caleb, because he has had a different spirit and has followed Me fully, I will bring him into the land which he [l]entered, and his [m]descendants shall take possession of it.

Brightfame52, don't be like the Israelites, who never meta-noia-ed, forgot, so never had a different spirit. Or like Chorazin and Bethesda. Remember the great things God did in your life when you received the Holy Spirit (you received the Holy Spirit, I suppose).

Today if you hear His voice to be like Abraham, like Caleb, please obey, and try to enter Rest. If you've not received the Holy Spirit and had your faith been strenghtened, perfected, then get baptised in the Holy Spirit. Don't delay!

Hebrews 4.7“TODAY IF YOU HEAR HIS VOICE,

DO NOT HARDEN YOUR HEARTS.” 8For if [d]Joshua had given them rest, He would not have spoken of another day after that. 9Consequently, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. 10For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His. 11Therefore let’s make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following the same example of disobedience.
    Last edited by footwasher; 02-10-2021, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by footwasher View Post

Israel was like a ground that drank rain but never bore fruit, green vegetation:

Hebrews 6. 4For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6and then have [e]fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, [f]since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame. 7For ground that drinks the rain which often [g]falls on it and produces vegetation useful to those for whose sake it is also tilled, receives a blessing from God; 8but if it yields thorns and thistles, it is worthless and [h]close to being cursed, and [i]it ends up being burned.

Abraham saw God's great works in rescuing from King Abhimelech and Pharoah. He remembered it, so when God asked him to sacrifice Isaac, he knew God would raise Isaac back from the dead.

Caleb saw God's great works in feeding and watering Israel in the wilderness. He remembered them and so when God asked him to fight the Amalekites, he obeyed, knowing God would raise him up if he died.

However, Israel did not trust God, even though she said she did:

Psalms 106.21They forgot God their Savior,

Who had done great things in Egypt,

22[q]Wonders in the land of Ham,

And awesome things by the [r]Red Sea.

Because of this,

Numbers 14.20So the LORD said, “I have forgiven them in accordance with your word; 21however, as I live, [k]all the earth will be filled with the glory of the LORD. 22Certainly all the people who have seen My glory and My signs which I performed in Egypt and in the wilderness, yet have put Me to the test these ten times and have not listened to My voice, 23shall by no means see the land which I swore to their fathers, nor shall any of those who were disrespectful to Me see it. 24But as for My servant Caleb, because he has had a different spirit and has followed Me fully, I will bring him into the land which he [l]entered, and his [m]descendants shall take possession of it.

Brightfame52, don't be like the Israelites, who never meta-noia-ed, forgot, so never had a different spirit. Or like Chorazin and Bethesda. Remember the great things God did in your life when you received the Holy Spirit (you received the Holy Spirit, I suppose).

Today if you hear His voice to be like Abraham, like Caleb, please obey, and try to enter Rest. If you've not received the Holy Spirit and had your faith been strenghtened, perfected, then get baptised in the Holy Spirit. Don't delay!

Hebrews 4.7“TODAY IF YOU HEAR HIS VOICE,

DO NOT HARDEN YOUR HEARTS.” 8For if [d]Joshua had given them rest, He would not have spoken of another day after that. 9Consequently, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. 10For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His. 11Therefore let’s make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following the same example of disobedience.
      Did you understand the OP

Comment

Did you understand the OP
        Yes, you claim God gave a meta noia, a new mind, a new spirit to the Elect. Show me any Scripture which says unequivocally, without a shadow of doubt, that God reprogrammed a person.

The text shows that everybody must HEAR AND BELIEVE.

Abraham heard and believed.

Caleb heard and believed.

Israel FORGOT.

Go to any Bible software, like Bible hub or Biblegateway or Youversion, and search for the phrase 'they forgot' and see how many verses come up.

The text says these things were written so that we could learn from their mistake, and not be like them, who because of unbelief, could not enter Rest, become blessings to the world!

Brightfame52, don't delay. Receive the Holy Spirit. Hear and believe. Enter Rest.

Today, if you hear His voice...

Comment

The word Give in Acts 5 and grant in Acts 11 are the very same greek word didómi and does mean to:

1. of one's own accord to give one something, to his advantage; to bestow, give as a gift:

to supply, furnish, necessary things: 2

Joined with nouns denoting strength, faculty, power, virtue, δίδωμι (τίνι τί) is equivalent to: to furnish, endue,

This furnishing is the new birth, new Spiritual life and faculties.

Comment

The word Give in Acts 5 and grant in Acts 11 are the very same greek word didómi and does mean to:

1. of one's own accord to give one something, to his advantage; to bestow, give as a gift:

to supply, furnish, necessary things: 2

Joined with nouns denoting strength, faculty, power, virtue, δίδωμι (τίνι τί) is equivalent to: to furnish, endue,

This furnishing is the new birth, new Spiritual life and faculties.
            Acts 5.31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Okay, so God exalted Jesus to give repentance to Israel…

BUT ISRAEL DID NOT REPENT! So the gift given had no effect, did not reprogram Israel!

Acts 11.18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

So God has also granted repentance to Gentiles. Sure, this means Gentiles have now been included in the People of God.

HOWEVER, THIS DOES NOT MEAN ALL GENTILES HAVE REPENTED! It does not mean that all Gentiles have been reprogrammed to repent!

Your theology is reaching conclusions not given in Scripture. Please repent, Brightfame52, please follow Jesus's teachings! Paul knew the believers in Acts 19 were only having half knowledge. It's sad, because John had taught them to move forward, follow Jesus, when He began His ministry, because John was only the best man, Jesus was the Bridegroom!

When you follow Jesus, then you will become gifted and be a blessing to the world, gather in God's lost sheep, receive the promise given to Abraham, be perfected:

1 Cor 14.24But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an ungifted man enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all; 25the secrets of his heart are disclosed; and so he will fall on his face and worship God, declaring that God is certainly among you.

Comment

Now to show why I believe that repentance is the product of the new birth, lets look at 1 Pet 1:3

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

The words begotten us again, speaking of new birth, is the word anagennaō:
              1. to produce again, be born again, born anew
              2. metaph. to have one's mind changed so that he lives a new life and one conformed to the will of God
              So repentance correlates with being born anew, which is produced through the resurrection of Christ from the dead. This explains why Peter says in Acts 5:31

31Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

notice to be born anew is to have one mind changed, which is the essence of repentance.3

Comment

Acts 5.31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Okay, so God exalted Jesus to give repentance to Israel…

BUT ISRAEL DID NOT REPENT! So the gift given had no effect, did not reprogram Israel!

Acts 11.18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

So God has also granted repentance to Gentiles. Sure, this means Gentiles have now been included in the People of God.

HOWEVER, THIS DOES NOT MEAN ALL GENTILES HAVE REPENTED! It does not mean that all Gentiles have been reprogrammed to repent!

Your theology is reaching conclusions not given in Scripture. Please repent, Brightfame52, please follow Jesus's teachings! Paul knew the believers in Acts 19 were only having half knowledge. It's sad, because John had taught them to move forward, follow Jesus, when He began His ministry, because John was only the best man, Jesus was the Bridegroom!

When you follow Jesus, then you will become gifted and be a blessing to the world, gather in God's lost sheep, receive the promise given to Abraham, be perfected:

1 Cor 14.24But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an ungifted man enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all; 25the secrets of his heart are disclosed; and so he will fall on his face and worship God, declaring that God is certainly among you.
                You dont seem to understand what Im posting.

Comment

Now to show why I believe that repentance is the product of the new birth, lets look at 1 Pet 1:3

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

The words begotten us again, speaking of new birth, is the word anagennaō:
                  1. to produce again, be born again, born anew
                  2. metaph. to have one's mind changed so that he lives a new life and one conformed to the will of God
                  So repentance correlates with being born anew, which is produced through the resurrection of Christ from the dead. This explains why Peter says in Acts 5:31

31Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

notice to be born anew is to have one mind changed, which is the essence of repentance.3
                  1 Pet 1:3

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Sure, God gave us a real hope by raising Christ from the dead. It means His blood was effective. Through the blood of Christ the New Man in Christ, the Body of Christ was created. However, we still have to enter that New Man in Christ.

In other words, there remains a rest to be entered for believers. So today if you hear His voice, make all effort to enter that Rest. Do not be like those in the wilderness who because of unbelief, failed to enter that Rest.

Brightfame52, it requires courage like Abraham and Caleb, to have a different spirit, to enter that Rest. You need the Holy Spirit, which is like rain from Heaven, to get that courage. So please be like the believers in Acts 19, and obey Paul, obey John the Baptist, and hear and believe Jesus's words, so that you can receive the courage creating ministry of the Holy Spirit. Don't delay anymore because of ignorance.

Comment

You dont seem to understand what Im posting.
                    It seems you are just copying and pasting from some commentary without understanding what they are saying. Don't be a parrot, Brightfame52, receive the Holy Spirit and He will lead you into all truth. The Kingdom of God has come amongst men, and strong men are forcing their way in. You need the strength creating ministry of the Holy Spirit to help you get in the Kingdom. After that, drink the rain you receive through hearing and believing and bear fruit, produce vegetation, so that you get a new, courageous spirit, like Caleb. Don't be like cowardly Israel, who because of unbelief were not allowed to enter Rest.

These things were written to help you avoid their mistakes.

Comment

1 Pet 1:3

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Sure, God gave us a real hope by raising Christ from the dead. It means His blood was effective. Through the blood of Christ the New Man in Christ, the Body of Christ was created. However, we still have to enter that New Man in Christ.

In other words, there remains a rest to be entered for believers. So today if you hear His voice, make all effort to enter that Rest. Do not be like those in the wilderness who because of unbelief, failed to enter that Rest.

Brightfame52, it requires courage like Abraham and Caleb, to have a different spirit, to enter that Rest. You need the Holy Spirit, which is like rain from Heaven, to get that courage. So please be like the believers in Acts 19, and obey Paul, obey John the Baptist, and hear and believe Jesus's words, so that you can receive the courage creating ministry of the Holy Spirit. Don't delay anymore because of ignorance.
                      Do you understand the post points ?

Comment

It seems you are just copying and pasting from some commentary without understanding what they are saying. Don't be a parrot, Brightfame52, receive the Holy Spirit and He will lead you into all truth. The Kingdom of God has come amongst men, and strong men are forcing their way in. You need the strength creating ministry of the Holy Spirit to help you get in the Kingdom. After that, drink the rain you receive through hearing and believing and bear fruit, produce vegetation, so that you get a new, courageous spirit, like Caleb. Don't be like cowardly Israel, who because of unbelief were not allowed to enter Rest.

These things were written to help you avoid their mistakes.
                        You still seem to be evading the points made. BTW the posts originate from me.

Comment

You still seem to be evading the points made. BTW the posts originate from me.
                          In post#4 I showed why your points are wrong. It means I understood the point and destroyed it. If you want, you can return the compliment and show what is wrong with my reply.

Comment

In post#4 I showed why your points are wrong. It means I understood the point and destroyed it. If you want, you can return the compliment and show what is wrong with my reply.
                            What were the points I made that were wrong and you so called destroyed ?

Comment

What were the points I made that were wrong and you so called destroyed ?
                              I have shown that God giving repentance to people does not mean He reprograms them. It means He gives people an OPPORTUNITY/CHANCE/PRIVILEGE to repent.

Suppose your Master wants to punish you for disobedience. He can do it, because He is your Master. But, if He desires, He can forgive you. This is called giving you an opportunity to repent. The Bible says God gave Israel repentance. But the fact that Israel DID NOT repent means He did not reprogram Israel. He only gave her an OPPORTUNITY to repent.

How hard is this to understand? Maybe you have to improve your English before you try to teach from the Bible.

And use a modern Bible while you are about it;

International Standard Version
                              God has exalted to his right hand this very man as our Leader and Savior in order to extend repentance and forgiveness of sins to Israel.
                              Last edited by footwasher; 02-14-2021, 12:34 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X