Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Repentance is the Gift Of God !

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by footwasher View Post

    Peradventure means 'perhaps', and 'may' also:

    In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God perhaps will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

    And that they perhaps recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

    So God doesn't reprogram a person. He hopes they perhaps will repent, perhaps leave the selfish life.
    What that means, its up to God whether or not the person will repent and acknowledge the Truth, its not up to the freewill of man !

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by brightfame52 View Post

      What that means, its up to God whether or not the person will repent and acknowledge the Truth, its not up to the freewill of man !
      If God reprograms humans, there is no perhaps. When the word 'perhaps' is used, God is hoping people will choose to be righteous, choose to repent.

      What are you doing here in an English forum, when you can't understand English?

      Comment


      • #78
        As stated, repentance is a Gift from the Saviour. Now to be more specific, how is it applied to them its given to as a Gift, namely Gods Elect ? Peter tells us here 1 Pet 1:3

        Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

        All for whom Christ died, by His Resurrection from the Dead, they shall be begotten again ! These words begotten again are in the greek anagennaˇ and means:

        I beget again, beget into a new life.

        to produce again, beget again, beget anew; metaphorically: τινα, thoroughly to change the mind of one, so that he lives a new life and one conformed to the will of God

        Notice that it changes the mind of one, this being begotten again. Now what is repentance ? Its the greek word metanoia and means:

        repentance, a change of mind, change in the inner man.

        So this repentance that is given by and through the resurrection of Christ, being begotten again, effects a change of mind, which what primarily what repentance entails. It gives also change in the inner man.

        And so repentance is confirmed to be the Gift of Christ through His resurrection from the dead, and its given to all for whom He died as their Saviour ! 34c

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by brightfame52 View Post
          As stated, repentance is a Gift from the Saviour. Now to be more specific, how is it applied to them its given to as a Gift, namely Gods Elect ? Peter tells us here 1 Pet 1:3

          Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

          All for whom Christ died, by His Resurrection from the Dead, they shall be begotten again ! These words begotten again are in the greek anagennaˇ and means:

          I beget again, beget into a new life.

          to produce again, beget again, beget anew; metaphorically: τινα, thoroughly to change the mind of one, so that he lives a new life and one conformed to the will of God

          Notice that it changes the mind of one, this being begotten again. Now what is repentance ? Its the greek word metanoia and means:

          repentance, a change of mind, change in the inner man.

          So this repentance that is given by and through the resurrection of Christ, being begotten again, effects a change of mind, which what primarily what repentance entails. It gives also change in the inner man.

          And so repentance is confirmed to be the Gift of Christ through His resurrection from the dead, and its given to all for whom He died as their Saviour ! 34c
          Do you agree that 'perhaps' doesn't mean 'will definitely repent', but means 'might repent'?

          Comment


          • #80
            Repentance in the matter of Gospel Preaching !

            Repentance in the matter of Gospel message is a Salvation Gift, its an Spiritual act that can be performed only by the Spiritual man or woman, the natural man in the state of nature cant perform it, neither is called to perform it. Remember John the Baptist told the hard hearted Pharisees that came to him while performing the baptism of repentance ? Notice his words TO THEM Matt 3:7-9

            7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

            8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

            9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

            However, Jesus teaches this Matt 7:18

            18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

            Repentance toward God Acts 20:21

            Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

            Thats a Good Fruit, and such that are left in nature cant bring it forth, simply because the natural man is evil and corrupt !

            Thats right those in the flesh, the natural man, cant please God Rom 8:8

            8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

            Simply stated the unregenerate cant please God !41

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by brightfame52 View Post
              Repentance in the matter of Gospel Preaching !

              Repentance in the matter of Gospel message is a Salvation Gift, its an Spiritual act that can be performed only by the Spiritual man or woman, the natural man in the state of nature cant perform it, neither is called to perform it. Remember John the Baptist told the hard hearted Pharisees that came to him while performing the baptism of repentance ? Notice his words TO THEM Matt 3:7-9

              7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

              8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

              9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

              However, Jesus teaches this Matt 7:18

              18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

              Repentance toward God Acts 20:21

              Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

              Thats a Good Fruit, and such that are left in nature cant bring it forth, simply because the natural man is evil and corrupt !

              Thats right those in the flesh, the natural man, cant please God Rom 8:8

              8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

              Simply stated the unregenerate cant please God !41
              The fruits worthy of repentance was justice, mercy and faithfulness to God: giving your extra coat to someone who was shivering in the night for example. So whoever obeyed John the Baptist could repent. It doesn't mean that whoever God did not give repentance to did not repent. Repentance is a response, not a transformation. Even Jesus said the same thing, that Israel should follow fasting, tithing and keeping Sabbath, without neglecting the weightier requirements of the law, justice, mercy and faithfulness.

              Regeneration happens when someone hears with faith. Even then, there are steps before regeneration. After hearing with faith, we receive the faith strengthening ministry of the Holy Spirit, like Abraham who was shown God could save from Pharoah and King Abhimelech, like Israel, who was shown rescue from hunger and thirst, like the disciples in Acts 19, who got edification from tongues. Now we must use this faith strengthening, edification to be regenerated, like Caleb, who God saw had had a different spirit, changed from a fearful follower to a courageous leader. He could see the Kingdom of God because he was born again by seeing God's great works and believed. Israel saw the same works but did not believe, was not edified, was not born again.

              Regeneration, being perfected is also a response, not a transformation by God.

              Gal 3.2This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by works of [b]the Law, or by hearing [c]with faith? 3Are you so foolish? Having begun [d]by the Spirit, are you now [e]being perfected by the flesh?

              Numbers 14.24But as for My servant Caleb, because he has had a different spirit and has followed Me fully, I will bring him into the land which he [l]entered, and his [m]descendants shall take possession of it.

              John 3.3Jesus responded and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless someone is born [c]again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”4Nicodemus *said to Him, “How can a person be born when he is old? He cannot enter his mother’s womb a second time and be born, can he?” 5Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless someone is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
              Last edited by footwasher; 04-09-2021, 01:39 PM.

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by footwasher View Post

                The fruits worthy of repentance was justice, mercy and faithfulness to God: giving your extra coat to someone who was shivering in the night for example. So whoever obeyed John the Baptist could repent. It doesn't mean that whoever God did not give repentance to did not repent. Repentance is a response, not a transformation. Even Jesus said the same thing, that Israel should follow fasting, tithing and keeping Sabbath, without neglecting the weightier requirements of the law, justice, mercy and faithfulness.

                Regeneration happens when someone hears with faith. Even then, there are steps before regeneration. After hearing with faith, we receive the faith strengthening ministry of the Holy Spirit, like Abraham who was shown God could save from Pharoah and King Abhimelech, like Israel, who was shown rescue from hunger and thirst, like the disciples in Acts 19, who got edification from tongues. Now we must use this faith strengthening, edification to be regenerated, like Caleb, who God saw had had a different spirit, changed from a fearful follower to a courageous leader. He could see the Kingdom of God because he was born again by seeing God's great works and believed. Israel saw the same works but did not believe, was not edified, was not born again.

                Regeneration, being perfected is also a response, not a transformation by God.

                Gal 3.2This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by works of [b]the Law, or by hearing [c]with faith? 3Are you so foolish? Having begun [d]by the Spirit, are you now [e]being perfected by the flesh?

                Numbers 14.24But as for My servant Caleb, because he has had a different spirit and has followed Me fully, I will bring him into the land which he [l]entered, and his [m]descendants shall take possession of it.

                John 3.3Jesus responded and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless someone is born [c]again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”4Nicodemus *said to Him, “How can a person be born when he is old? He cannot enter his mother’s womb a second time and be born, can he?” 5Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless someone is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
                Post 80, did you understand the points I made ? What were they ?

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by brightfame52 View Post
                  Post 80, did you understand the points I made ? What were they ?
                  Originally posted by brightfame52 View Post
                  Repentance in the matter of Gospel Preaching !

                  Repentance in the matter of Gospel message is a Salvation Gift, its an Spiritual act that can be performed only by the Spiritual man or woman, the natural man in the state of nature cant perform it, neither is called to perform it. Remember John the Baptist told the hard hearted Pharisees that came to him while performing the baptism of repentance ? Notice his words TO THEM Matt 3:7-9

                  7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

                  8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:*

                  9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

                  However, Jesus teaches this Matt 7:18

                  18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.**

                  Repentance toward God Acts 20:21

                  Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

                  Thats a Good Fruit, and such that are left in nature cant bring it forth, simply because the natural man is evil and corrupt !

                  Thats right those in the flesh, the natural man, cant please God Rom 8:8**

                  8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

                  Simply stated the unregenerate cant please God !41

                  Oh yes, I can point out the stupid logic in post 80.

                  In *, you are saying John asked bad people to repent, before they can be baptised.

                  In **, you are saying Jesus and Paul teach repentance can't be made by bad people.

                  So Scripture is contradicting Scripture. Like I said, you should see your therapist.

                  Now your turn. Can you understand my post #81?

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Scripture that confirms that Jesus Christ as Saviour gives His People repentance, by blessing them and turning them from their sins Acts 3:25-26

                    25 Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed.

                    26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.44

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by brightfame52 View Post
                      Scripture that confirms that Jesus Christ as Saviour gives His People repentance, by blessing them and turning them from their sins Acts 3:25-26

                      25 Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed.

                      26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.44
                      Why did some of God's People fail to repent, even when they were given the opportunity?

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Repentance belongs to the Work of Jesus Christ,its the fruit of His redeeming death/blood.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by footwasher View Post

                          Why did some of God's People fail to repent, even when they were given the opportunity?
                          Did you understand the post you quoted ?

                          Comment

                          Related Threads

                          Collapse

                          Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by Cow Poke, 03-23-2021, 02:41 PM
                          14 responses
                          104 views
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Cow Poke  
                          Started by brightfame52, 02-10-2021, 09:46 AM
                          86 responses
                          388 views
                          1 like
                          Last Post brightfame52  
                          Started by brightfame52, 12-27-2020, 11:50 AM
                          365 responses
                          1,227 views
                          0 likes
                          Last Post footwasher  
                          Working...
                          X