Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Repentance is the Gift Of God !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by footwasher View Post

Paul never met Jesus, so how could he hate Him? It's very clear that he hated the Church for following Jesus, and when he LATER got a revelation from Jesus that He was God, he stopped hating it.

Where is the mistake in this answer?
    You still dont get it, Its right there in Acts 9. Saul hated and persecuted Christ and His People !

Comment

• Originally posted by brightfame52 View Post

You still dont get it, Its right there in Acts 9. Saul hated and persecuted Christ and His People !
      Paul says he got new information in Galatians 1.12. What is that new information?

Comment

Paul says he got new information in Galatians 1.12. What is that new information?
        According to Acts 9 who asked the question to saul, why persecutest thou me ?

Comment

According to Acts 9 who asked the question to saul, why persecutest thou me ?
          Since you don't know the answer, I will feed you the answer. In Gal 1.12, Paul says he received the revelation of what the Gospel was. It was that God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, do that whosoever believed in Him would not perish, but have everlasting life (Jn 3.16). This was confirmed to be true, by raising Jesus up from the grave:

1 Cor 15.3For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance a : that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5and that he appeared to Cephas, b and then to the Twelve. 6After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, 8and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

In other words, what Paul did in persecuting the Church was right according to the information he had: he was removing the sinful people from the People of God, because they were following a different god, Jesus. But when Paul received a revelation that Jesus WAS the true God Himself, he believed this explanation, because God gave him proof that this view was the truth, by raising Jesus up from the grave.

So Paul was not hating God, he was acting correctly for the information he had. Jesus had to explain to him that it was actually God he was attacking, that he was mistaken. Since he did not hate God, he stopped his persecution.

By now you should be eating solid food, even teaching others correctly, but you are still drinking milk. How sad.

You should try to enter the Kingdom, like all other mature believers have done. Don't be late.

Comment

Since you don't know the answer, I will feed you the answer. In Gal 1.12, Paul says he received the revelation of what the Gospel was. It was that God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, do that whosoever believed in Him would not perish, but have everlasting life (Jn 3.16). This was confirmed to be true, by raising Jesus up from the grave:

1 Cor 15.3For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance a : that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5and that he appeared to Cephas, b and then to the Twelve. 6After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, 8and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

In other words, what Paul did in persecuting the Church was right according to the information he had: he was removing the sinful people from the People of God, because they were following a different god, Jesus. But when Paul received a revelation that Jesus WAS the true God Himself, he believed this explanation, because God gave him proof that this view was the truth, by raising Jesus up from the grave.

So Paul was not hating God, he was acting correctly for the information he had. Jesus had to explain to him that it was actually God he was attacking, that he was mistaken. Since he did not hate God, he stopped his persecution.

By now you should be eating solid food, even teaching others correctly, but you are still drinking milk. How sad.

You should try to enter the Kingdom, like all other mature believers have done. Don't be late.
            According to Acts 9 who asked the question to saul, why persecutest thou me ? Is Christ God ?

Comment

According to Acts 9 who asked the question to saul, why persecutest thou me ? Is Christ God ?
              Exactly. Unless it is explained that Paul did not know Christ was God, it is correct to say Paul was right in persecuting the Church, cleaning the People of God from sinners, just like Phinehas was doing.
              Numbers 25.1While Israel was staying in Shittim,a the men began to indulge in sexual immorality with the daughters of Moab, 2who also invited them to the sacrifices for their gods. And the people ate and bowed down to these gods. 3So Israel joined in worshiping Baal of Peor, and the anger of the LORD burned against them.

4Then the LORD said to Moses, “Take all the leaders of the people and execute them in broad daylight before the LORD, so that His fierce anger may turn away from Israel.”

5So Moses told the judges of Israel, “Each of you must kill all of his men who have joined in worshiping Baal of Peor.”

6Just then an Israelite man brought to his family a Midianite woman in the sight of Moses and the whole congregation of Israel while they were weeping at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting. 7On seeing this, Phinehas son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, got up from the assembly, took a spear in his hand, 8followed the Israelite into his tent, and drove the spear through both of them—through the Israelite and on through the belly of the woman.

So the plague against the Israelites was halted, 9but those who died in the plague numbered 24,000.
              Last edited by footwasher; 06-23-2021, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Exactly. Unless it is explained that Paul did not know Christ was God, it is correct to say Paul was right in persecuting the Church, cleaning the People of God from sinners, just like Phinehas was doing.
                Numbers 25.1While Israel was staying in Shittim,a the men began to indulge in sexual immorality with the daughters of Moab, 2who also invited them to the sacrifices for their gods. And the people ate and bowed down to these gods. 3So Israel joined in worshiping Baal of Peor, and the anger of the LORD burned against them.

4Then the LORD said to Moses, “Take all the leaders of the people and execute them in broad daylight before the LORD, so that His fierce anger may turn away from Israel.”

5So Moses told the judges of Israel, “Each of you must kill all of his men who have joined in worshiping Baal of Peor.”

6Just then an Israelite man brought to his family a Midianite woman in the sight of Moses and the whole congregation of Israel while they were weeping at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting. 7On seeing this, Phinehas son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, got up from the assembly, took a spear in his hand, 8followed the Israelite into his tent, and drove the spear through both of them—through the Israelite and on through the belly of the woman.

So the plague against the Israelites was halted, 9but those who died in the plague numbered 24,000.

Comment

Exactly. Paul thought he was cleaning the People of God from unclean people, but Jesus told him those people were God's People, because they were His People, and He was God.

This is why it is wrong to say Paul hated God when he persecuted Jesus's People. He actually thought they were unclean, were not loyal to God. If he had known they were following God he would not have persecuted them. That is why Paul was not wrong.

This is the only explanation that makes sense.
                  Last edited by footwasher; 06-24-2021, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Exactly. Paul thought he was cleaning the People of God from unclean people, but Jesus told him those people were God's People, because they were His People, and He was God.

This is why it is wrong to say Paul hated God when he persecuted Jesus's People. He actually thought they were unclean, were not loyal to God. If he had known they were following God he would not have persecuted them. That is why Paul was not wrong.

This is the only explanation that makes sense.
                    Paul was given a change of mind about Christ and His followers, thats what it means to give repentance.

Comment

Paul was given a change of mind about Christ and His followers, thats what it means to give repentance.
                      Think carefully what you teach. You are saying Paul hated God and tried to destroy the Church.

Wrong. Paul loved God and tried to keep His People clean, by removing those he thought were unfaithful, like Phineas.

Jesus didn't give Paul a new mindset. He revealed to him how He was God and what He did was according to Scripture:

1 Cor 15.3For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4that He was buried, that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures.

When Paul understood this, he stopped persecuting the Church. Jesus didn't reprogram a robot. Paul changed his own mind, after he understood that the Church were those who saw the Scripture fulfilled in Christ.

Jews: waiting for Messiah.

Christians: rejoicing at Messiah's arrival.
                      Last edited by footwasher; 06-25-2021, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Think carefully what you teach. You are saying Paul hated God and tried to destroy the Church.

Wrong. Paul loved God and tried to keep His People clean, by removing those he thought were unfaithful, like Phineas.

Jesus didn't give Paul a new mindset. He revealed to him how He was God and what He did was according to Scripture:

1 Cor 15.3For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4that He was buried, that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures.

When Paul understood this, he stopped persecuting the Church. Jesus didn't reprogram a robot. Paul changed his own mind, after he understood that the Church were those who saw the Scripture fulfilled in Christ.

Jews: waiting for Messiah.

Christians: rejoicing at Messiah's arrival.
                        You still dont get it !

Comment

You still dont get it !
                          So tell me, was Paul a God hater?

Comment

• Think carefully what you teach. You are saying Paul hated God and tried to destroy the Church.
                            According to Paul, that is indeed the case.
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                              According to Paul, that is indeed the case.
                              But the text says he was zealous FOR God:

Php 3.6as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless.

Like his countrymen:

Rom 10.2For I testify about them that they have a zeal for God, but not in accordance with knowledge.

Comment

• Nonetheless, he himself declares that his actions were against God. The fact that those actions are only an outcome of ignorance does not change the fact that they are taken against God: particularly when he also points out that there is no excuse for that ignorance, which is to say - the ignorance is wilful.
                                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                                Scripture before Tradition:
                                but that won't prevent others from
                                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X