Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Saving results of the Death of Christ !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brightfame52
    replied
    Originally posted by footwasher View Post

They heard and believed. That is all that is necessary. To receive the Holy Spirit.

Hear and believe. To be fulfilled, perfected, receive gifts. To be blessings to the world.
    Those Christ died for are perfected forever by His Death Heb 10:14

14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

Leave a comment:

• footwasher
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave L View Post

The problem of evil has nothing to do with your opinion. And It has been solved quite satisfactorily if you care to study the subject.
    Ooh! You have the explanation? Do tell!

Leave a comment:

• Dave L
    replied

I explained Is 45.7. it's a huge problem in Theology, Philosophy, called the Problem of Evil, Theodicy.

So, no, the gifts haven't passed away.
    The problem of evil has nothing to do with your opinion. And It has been solved quite satisfactorily if you care to study the subject.

Leave a comment:

• footwasher
    replied

The gifts passed into history with the apostles.
    I explained Is 45.7. It's a huge problem in Theology, Philosophy, called the Problem of Evil, Theodicy.

So, no, the gifts haven't passed away.

Jesus fed the crowd. They thought He came to solve the problem of world hunger. But He said they had to look beyond the feeding. There was a purpose for signs and wonders. To turn them to follow God.

That's why Jesus said it would be better if the Holy Spirit was sent. Solving difficult questions is more effective than doing miracles. Which the Holy Spirit can do in all those in the Kingdom. I can even be a blessing through the InterWeb!

Of course there is no guarantee that you will listen, because you do have free will, and you can't be forced to enter the Kingdom, even if miracles are done in front of you, like Chorazin and Bethesda!

Luke 16.27And he said, ‘Then I request of you, father, that you send him to my father’s house— 28for I have five brothers—in order that he may warn them, so that they will not come to this place of torment as well.’ 29But Abraham *said, ‘They have [x]Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.’ 30But he said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent!’ 31But he said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.’”
    Last edited by footwasher; 02-04-2021, 12:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dave L
    replied

If you have gifts, show from Scripture, with a supernatural explanation, like the prophet in 1 Cor 14, who caused the ungifted to admit that God was with him.

1 Cor 14.24But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an ungifted man enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all; 25the secrets of his heart are disclosed; and so he will fall on his face and worship God, declaring that God is certainly among you.
    The gifts passed into history with the apostles.

Leave a comment:

• footwasher
    replied

If you believe in free will, your entire belief system is wrong. Pentecostalism only makes it worse.
    If you have gifts, show from Scripture, with a supernatural explanation, like the prophet in 1 Cor 14, who caused the ungifted to admit that God was with him.

1 Cor 14.24But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an ungifted man enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all; 25the secrets of his heart are disclosed; and so he will fall on his face and worship God, declaring that God is certainly among you.

You have to admit my explanation of Is 45.7 is supernatural. Nobody has ever written a coherent commentary on that verse.

Leave a comment:

• Dave L
    replied

So tell me what is the lie in my post.
    If you believe in free will, your entire belief system is wrong. Pentecostalism only makes it worse.

Leave a comment:

• footwasher
    replied

I don't invest in long posts unless I know the author knows the truth.
    So tell me what is the lie in my post.

It seems to me I am in the Kingdom and have gifts and I could explain Isaiah 45.7.

You aren't in the Kingdom, have no gifts and can't explain Isaiah 45.7.

Simple as that. You need to enter the Kingdom.

Hebrews 4.6Therefore, since it remains for some to enter it, and those who previously had good news preached to them failed to enter because of disobedience, 7He again sets a certain day, “Today,” saying [c]through David after so long a time just as has been said before,

“TODAY IF YOU HEAR HIS VOICE,

DO NOT HARDEN YOUR HEARTS.” 8For if [d]Joshua had given them rest, He would not have spoken of another day after that. 9Consequently, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.
    Last edited by footwasher; 02-04-2021, 12:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dave L
    replied

If you can't understand long posts, how do you understand the Bible, which consists of thousands of words?

I'm just asking, 'How are you going to be a blessing to the world?'

Even Moses said Israel would not leave Egypt and God had to give him gifts.
    I don't invest in long posts unless I know the author knows the truth.

Leave a comment:

• footwasher
    replied

I don't invest time in long posts. We are speaking about Acts and how Pentecostals butcher the text trying to make it fit their false teaching.
    If you can't understand long posts, how do you understand the Bible, which consists of thousands of words?

I'm just asking, 'How are you going to be a blessing to the world?'

Even Moses said Israel would not leave Egypt and God had to give him gifts.
    Last edited by footwasher; 02-04-2021, 12:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dave L
    replied

Okay, we are talking past each other. Let's try to move ahead. See if you agree with this.

Abraham was enlightened by the Holy Spirit. He understood that the great works of God could encourage people to follow God, because his rescue from King Abhimelech and Pharoah encouraged him, perfected his faith. When God asked him to sacrifice Isaac, he obeyed, because he thought it was how God was making him a blessing to the world, because when God raised Isaac from the dead, the world would want to come to such a great God. God stopped Abraham from going ahead because the Kingdom of God had not arrived amongst men yet. However, God planned to give something better to Abraham and also the followers of Jesus, so that together they would be blessings to the world.

Caleb also was ministered to by the Holy Spirit in the same way, through great works, and he also had to wait for the real Rest to be given, since Joshua had not brought Israel into the real Rest. However, he was given a glimpse into how he would be a blessing to the world, when God's great works done through him resulted in Rahab turning to God.

Jesus was full of the Kingdom of God, and he was a blessing to many, including Nicodemus, who saw God's great works done through Jesus.

God created problems, like sicknesses and difficult teachings, what is mentioned in Isaiah 45.7 as calamities and darkness, so that His works would be done through His followers and make them blessings to the world by turning them to God.

John 9.1As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”

3“Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him.

John 3.1Now there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews; 2this man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You have come from God as a teacher; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.” 3Jesus answered and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

See, the sequence:

God made problems.

Those in the Kingdom solved those problems, healing the sick and explaining difficult Scripture, prophesying, through the finger of God.

When they solved the problems, picked up the Cross and were raised up, they made people want to come to God.

Would you agree this is how we are meant to be blessings to the world?

I don't invest time in long posts. We are speaking about Acts and how Pentecostals butcher the text trying to make it fit their false teaching.

Leave a comment:

• footwasher
    replied

All believers have the Holy Spirit. Only the Apostles and those they laid hands on had the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. The Jewish outpouring was the 12 apostles only. The gentile outpouring had Peter and only a small number present.
    Okay, we are talking past each other. Let's try to move ahead. See if you agree with this.

Abraham was enlightened by the Holy Spirit. He understood that the great works of God could encourage people to follow God, because his rescue from King Abhimelech and Pharoah encouraged him, perfected his faith. When God asked him to sacrifice Isaac, he obeyed, because he thought it was how God was making him a blessing to the world, because when God raised Isaac from the dead, the world would want to come to such a great God. God stopped Abraham from going ahead because the Kingdom of God had not arrived amongst men yet. However, God planned to give something better to Abraham and also the followers of Jesus, so that together they would be blessings to the world.

Caleb also was ministered to by the Holy Spirit in the same way, through great works, and he also had to wait for the real Rest to be given, since Joshua had not brought Israel into the real Rest. However, he was given a glimpse into how he would be a blessing to the world, when God's great works done through him resulted in Rahab turning to God.

Jesus was full of the Kingdom of God, and he was a blessing to many, including Nicodemus, who saw God's great works done through Jesus.

God created problems, in advance, like sicknesses and difficult teachings, what is mentioned in Isaiah 45.7 as calamities and darkness, so that His works would be done through His followers, when they walked in them, and make them blessings to the world by turning them to God.

John 9.1As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”

3“Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him.

John 3.1Now there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews; 2this man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You have come from God as a teacher; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.” 3Jesus answered and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

See, the sequence:

God made problems.

Those in the Kingdom solved those problems, healing the sick and explaining difficult Scripture, prophesying, through the finger of God.

When they solved the problems, picked up the Cross and were raised up, they made people want to come to God.

Would you agree this is how we are meant to be blessings to the world?

Leave a comment:

• Dave L
    replied

They heard and believed. That is all that is necessary. To receive the Holy Spirit.

Hear and believe. To be fulfilled, perfected, receive gifts. To be blessings to the world.
    All believers have the Holy Spirit. Only the Apostles and those they laid hands on had the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. The Jewish outpouring was the 12 apostles only. The gentile outpouring had Peter and only a small number present.

Leave a comment:

• footwasher
    replied

The Gift of the Holy Spirit in Acts

1) given directly to all believers then and now for all time (not the baptism of the Holy Spirit)

2)Included the Baptism of the Holy Spirit for the Apostles and those they hands on

A) the Baptism given directly to the 12 Apostles

1)They spoke in tongues, prophesied and performed signs and wonders in Acts

(1) Given to Philip, Stephen and the helpers by the Apostles.

a) Philip worked the Apostle's signs and wonders

b) Given to the Samaritans by the Apostles

B) Given directly to Paul as an Apostle

1) He worked signs and wonders

a) Baptism of the Holy Spirit Given to the Ephesians by Paul the Apostle

(1)They spoke in tongues and prophesied

C) Given directly to the Gentiles at Cornelius' house

1) they spoke in tongues and magnified God

Leave a comment:

• Dave L
    replied

Galatians 3.3Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh? a4Have you experienced b so much in vain—if it really was in vain? 5So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard?

The Way as clearly shown by the above, in ALL situations, is:

Hear and believe, receive the faith creating ministry of the Holy Spirit, in the case of Abraham, Israel and Jesus, miracles. In the case of the 120 onwards, revelation through tongues and prophecies AND miracles.

Hear and believe, receive gifts through entering the Kingdom, in the case of Abraham, Caleb, only when Jesus created the inheritance, the Kingdom of God for God's People. In the case of Israel, never allowed to enter the Kingdom, through failing to prove they believed.

There is no situation where the edification and the empowerment are received only through the Apostles and their laying of hands.

The Gift of the Holy Spirit in Acts

1) given directly to all believers then and now for all time (not the baptism of the Holy Spirit)

2)Included the Baptism of the Holy Spirit for the Apostles and those they hands on

A) the Baptism given directly to the 12 Apostles

1)They spoke in tongues, prophesied and performed signs and wonders in Acts

(1) Given to Philip, Stephen and the helpers by the Apostles.

a) Philip worked the Apostle's signs and wonders

b) Given to the Samaritans by the Apostles

B) Given directly to Paul as an Apostle

1) He worked signs and wonders

a) Baptism of the Holy Spirit Given to the Ephesians by Paul the Apostle

(1)They spoke in tongues and prophesied

C) Given directly to the Gentiles at Cornelius' house

1) they spoke in tongues and magnified God

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X