Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Saving results of the Death of Christ !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave L
    replied
    Originally posted by footwasher View Post

Those who are under the Law are Jews. Some drove out the slave woman and her son and became Gentiles. They received the promise made to Abraham, as planned:

Gal 3.13Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us—for it is written: “CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO HANGS ON A [u]TREE”— 14in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham would come to the Gentiles, so that we would receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Looks like you are ungifted:

1 Kings 18.25So Elijah said to the prophets of Baal, “Choose the one ox for yourselves and prepare it first, since there are many of you, and call on the name of your god, but put no fire under the ox.26Then they took the ox which [i]was given them and they prepared it, and they called on the name of Baal from morning until noon, saying, “O Baal, answer us!” But there was no voice and no one answered. And they [j]limped about the altar which [k]they had made. 27And at noon Elijah ridiculed them and said, “Call out with a loud voice, since he is a god; undoubtedly he is attending to business, or is on the way, or is on a journey. Perhaps he is asleep, and will awaken.” 28So they cried out with a loud voice, and cut themselves according to their custom with swords and lances until blood gushed out on them. 29When midday was past, they raved until the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice; but there was no voice, no one answered, and [l]no one paid attention.
    There are no physical BIBLICAL Jews since Christ abolished circumcision on the cross. They are Gentiles with a false Judaism religion.

Leave a comment:

• footwasher
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave L View Post

God turned all the broken off into Gentiles. Some of these come to Christ during the times of the gentiles which last until the end of the world. In this way, all Israel, the Church, will be saved.
    Those who are under the Law are Jews. Some drove out the slave woman and her son and became Gentiles. They received the promise made to Abraham, as planned:

Gal 3.13Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us—for it is written: “CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO HANGS ON A [u]TREE”— 14in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham would come to the Gentiles, so that we would receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Looks like you are ungifted:

1 Kings 18.25So Elijah said to the prophets of Baal, “Choose the one ox for yourselves and prepare it first, since there are many of you, and call on the name of your god, but put no fire under the ox.26Then they took the ox which [i]was given them and they prepared it, and they called on the name of Baal from morning until noon, saying, “O Baal, answer us!” But there was no voice and no one answered. And they [j]limped about the altar which [k]they had made. 27And at noon Elijah ridiculed them and said, “Call out with a loud voice, since he is a god; undoubtedly he is attending to business, or is on the way, or is on a journey. Perhaps he is asleep, and will awaken.” 28So they cried out with a loud voice, and cut themselves according to their custom with swords and lances until blood gushed out on them. 29When midday was past, they raved until the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice; but there was no voice, no one answered, and [l]no one paid attention.
    Last edited by footwasher; 03-20-2021, 10:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dave L
    replied

Paul says there is still a remnant, which will be grafted back in:

Rom 11.1I say then, God has not rejected His people, has He? [a]Far from it! For I too am an Israelite, [b]a descendant of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. 2God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew. Or do you not know what the Scripture says in the passage about Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel? 3“Lord, THEY HAVE KILLED YOUR PROPHETS, THEY HAVE TORN DOWN YOUR ALTARS, AND I ALONE AM LEFT, AND THEY ARE SEEKING MY LIFE.” 4But what [c]is the divine response to him? “I HAVE KEPT for Myself SEVEN THOUSAND MEN WHO HAVE NOT BOWED THE KNEE TO BAAL.” 5In the same way then, there has also come to be at the present time a remnant according to God’s [d]gracious choice. 6But if it is by grace, it is no longer [e]on the basis of works, since otherwise grace is no longer grace.

There is a part of Israel which is chosen, not because it has obeyed perfectly, but because it BELIEVED God's word, which says all the Law has to be observed. The other part was not faithful, saying like those in the Garden, "Did God really say that?"

They taught that not all the Law was to be observed, only those parts that showed they were children of Abraham, circumcision, fasting, tithing and they neglected the weightier requirements of the law, justice mercy and faithfulness.

Were it not for the presence of Jews in Israel, like Elizabeth and Zacharias and the Publican in the Temple, she would have disappeared, become extinct, like Sodom and Gomorrah.

So even today, the presence of Jews who believe God requires all the law to be obeyed in Israel preserves her, till all things become fulfilled, when she will be grafted back into the People of God.
    God turned all the broken off into Gentiles. Some of these come to Christ during the times of the gentiles which last until the end of the world. In this way, all Israel, the Church, will be saved.

Leave a comment:

• footwasher
    replied

Jews are a religion, not a race. They are Jews today only in that they are a cult of a wicked form of Judaism. Just as JW's are a cult of a wicked form of Christianity.
    Paul says there is still a remnant, which will be grafted back in:

Rom 11.1I say then, God has not rejected His people, has He? [a]Far from it! For I too am an Israelite, [b]a descendant of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. 2God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew. Or do you not know what the Scripture says in the passage about Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel? 3“Lord, THEY HAVE KILLED YOUR PROPHETS, THEY HAVE TORN DOWN YOUR ALTARS, AND I ALONE AM LEFT, AND THEY ARE SEEKING MY LIFE.” 4But what [c]is the divine response to him? “I HAVE KEPT for Myself SEVEN THOUSAND MEN WHO HAVE NOT BOWED THE KNEE TO BAAL.” 5In the same way then, there has also come to be at the present time a remnant according to God’s [d]gracious choice. 6But if it is by grace, it is no longer [e]on the basis of works, since otherwise grace is no longer grace.

There is a part of Israel which is chosen, not because it has obeyed perfectly, but because it BELIEVED God's word, which says all the Law has to be observed. The other part was not faithful, saying like those in the Garden, "Did God really say that?"

They taught that not all the Law was to be observed, only those parts that showed they were children of Abraham, circumcision, fasting, tithing and they neglected the weightier requirements of the law, justice mercy and faithfulness.

Were it not for the presence of Jews in Israel, like Elizabeth and Zacharias and the Publican in the Temple, she would have disappeared, become extinct, like Sodom and Gomorrah.

So even today, the presence of Jews who believe God requires all the law to be obeyed in Israel preserves her, till all things become fulfilled, when she will be grafted back into the People of God.
    Last edited by footwasher; 03-18-2021, 05:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dave L
    replied

So you acknowledge Jews are still Jews.
    Jews are a religion, not a race. They are Jews today only in that they are a cult of a wicked form of Judaism. Just as JW's are a cult of a wicked form of Christianity.

Leave a comment:

• footwasher
    replied

So Hitler and their being slaughtered in 114 other nations does not verify God's wrath on them since 70AD?
    So you acknowledge Jews are still Jews.

Leave a comment:

• Dave L
    replied

My gift says Paul taught God's word has not failed, Israel's calling has not been revoked. The hardening is only temporary. The veil will be removed and Israel will grafted back in.

Now don't change the subject. Use your gift, if you have any, to explain why circumcision has been abolished for Jews, when Jesus said not one jot will be removed from the Law.
    So Hitler and their being slaughtered in 114 other nations does not verify God's wrath on them since 70AD?
    Last edited by Dave L; 03-17-2021, 02:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• footwasher
    replied

Your "gift" has not kicked in yet if you think the rite of circumcision still turns gentiles into biblical Jews.
    My gift says Paul taught God's word has not failed, Israel's calling has not been revoked. The hardening is only temporary. The veil will be removed and Israel will grafted back in.

Now don't change the subject. Use your gift, if you have any, to explain why circumcision has been abolished for Jews, when Jesus said not one jot will be removed from the Law.

Leave a comment:

• Dave L
    replied

The text says He gave gifts to men. It allowed them to explain Scripture that had puzzled people for centuries. This opening of Scripture was like a rescue:

John 12.32And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to Myself.

These rescues caused people like Rahab and Nicodemus to be drawn to those through whom God performed the rescues:

1 Cor 14.24But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an ungifted man enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all; 25the secrets of his heart are disclosed; and so he will fall on his face and worship God, declaring that God is certainly among you.

So with your gift please explain the Scripture you provide, of how the cross abolished circumcision. Judaism still requires circumcision, and God is going to graft Judaism back into the family of Abraham.
    Your "gift" has not kicked in yet if you think the rite of circumcision still turns gentiles into biblical Jews.

Leave a comment:

• footwasher
    replied
    Originally posted by brightfame52 View Post

Thats a different matter.
    No it isn't.

Leave a comment:

• footwasher
    replied

I experienced the fruit of the Spirit over a three-day period and it caused me to believe in Christ. That was at a time God was the last thing on my mind.
    The text says He gave gifts to men. It allowed them to explain Scripture that had puzzled people for centuries. This opening of Scripture was like a rescue:

John 12.32And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to Myself.

These rescues caused people like Rahab and Nicodemus to be drawn to those through whom God performed the rescues:

1 Cor 14.24But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an ungifted man enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all; 25the secrets of his heart are disclosed; and so he will fall on his face and worship God, declaring that God is certainly among you.

So with your gift please explain the Scripture you provide, of how the cross abolished circumcision. Judaism still requires circumcision, and God is going to graft Judaism back into the family of Abraham.
    Last edited by footwasher; 03-17-2021, 02:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• brightfame52
    replied

So why was Israel cut off?
    Thats a different matter.

Leave a comment:

• Dave L
    replied

Why don't you explain? You should if you have received the Holy Spirit. The text says He ascended on high and gave gifts to men.
    I experienced the fruit of the Spirit over a three-day period and it caused me to believe in Christ. That was at a time God was the last thing on my mind.

Leave a comment:

• footwasher
    replied

Once you learn how Christ abolished circumcision on the cross, you will understand Paul.
    Why don't you explain? You should if you have received the Holy Spirit. The text says He ascended on high and gave gifts to men.

Leave a comment:

• Dave L
    replied

You are right that circumcision decides who is a Jew. That's why Jews are still Jews, and are not Gentiles.

Christ didn't come to abolish the Law for Israel. Not one one jot, nor one tittle of the law will pass away, till every thing is fulfilled.
    Once you learn how Christ abolished circumcision on the cross, you will understand Paul.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X