Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Saving results of the Death of Christ !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by footwasher View Post

This is addressed to brightflame52 not you.
    I'm sorry to have upset you. But all things work together for good to those who love the Lord.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post

But you cannot have a nobler side unless you are born again. Where do you find nobility in the flesh?
      The Bible says every man wants to do good, but his flesh resists his spirit:

Rom 7:21So this is the principle I have discovered: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in God’s law. 23But I see another law at work in my body, warring against the law of my mind and holding me captive to the law of sin that dwells within me.

See, his inner being, his nobler side delights in God's law.

Who wouldn't want to do good always? To be saved from the nagging of a guilty conscience? If it's easy, everyone would prefer it. However, the flesh tells us it's too hard, so the flesh wins over the nobler side/spirit/inner being/mind.

Comment

The Bible says every man wants to do good, but his flesh resists his spirit:

Rom 7:21So this is the principle I have discovered: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in God’s law. 23But I see another law at work in my body, warring against the law of my mind and holding me captive to the law of sin that dwells within me.

See, his inner being, his nobler side delights in God's law.

Who wouldn't want to do good always? To be saved from the nagging of a guilty conscience? If it's easy, everyone would prefer it. However, the flesh tells us it's too hard, so the flesh wins over the nobler side/spirit/inner being/mind.
        This is true of born again believers. But people love their sin and hate God apart from the new birth. If not true, why did the Jews reject the God they claimed to worship? He stood right in front of them.

Comment

This is true of born again believers. But people love their sin and hate God apart from the new birth. If not true, why did the Jews reject the God they claimed to worship? He stood right in front of them.
          Not all the Jews rejected Him. The good Jews accepted Him.

Comment

Not all the Jews rejected Him. The good Jews accepted Him.
            A few were born again or they could not believe in him. Faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit.

Comment

A few were born again or they could not believe in him. Faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit.
              Again, I repeat, we hear and believe, then we receive the Holy Spirit. First belief, then receive:

Gal 3:5 So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles(H) among you by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard?

Comment

Again, I repeat, we hear and believe, then we receive the Holy Spirit. First belief, then receive:

Gal 3:5 So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles(H) among you by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard?
                You have it backward. God gives the elect the Holy Spirit. They hear and believe. Regular people think the gospel is a law and try to save themselves through obedience. But law cannot save. Also, they cannot discern the true Christ and worship a Christ of their imagination instead.

Comment

You have it backward. God gives the elect the Holy Spirit. They hear and believe. Regular people think the gospel is a law and try to save themselves through obedience. But law cannot save. Also, they cannot discern the true Christ and worship a Christ of their imagination instead.
                  You are fighting against God's word, not me:

God gives you His Spirit, by believing the Gospel.

Comment

You are fighting against God's word, not me:

God gives you His Spirit, by believing the Gospel.
                    Salvation is a miracle that God works on sinners before they can believe in the true sense. You give the wicked flesh credit for salvation instead.

Comment

Salvation is a miracle that God works on sinners before they can believe in the true sense. You give the wicked flesh credit for salvation instead.
                      No, we chose to listen to our nobler side rather than our fleshly side to believe. Romans 7 says we have a mind which wishes to do good, and a body which wishes to disobey. Which do you choose? Depending on which nature you choose to listen to decides if you stay in the darkness or come to the light.

Comment

No, we chose to listen to our nobler side rather than our fleshly side to believe. Romans 7 says we have a mind which wishes to do good, and a body which wishes to disobey. Which do you choose? Depending on which nature you choose to listen to decides if you stay in the darkness or come to the light.
                        But the flesh cannot hear spiritual truth. So that's why idol worship is included in its roster. Only the born again can hear the true word and understand.

Comment

You're misusing the term "flesh"
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

You're misusing the term "flesh"
                            It is all you have to work with unless God gives you a new heart.

Comment

It is all you have to work with unless God gives you a new heart.
                              Still doesn't remove our free will choice to choose His prompting to come to Him.
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Still doesn't remove our free will choice to choose His prompting to come to Him.
                                Free will doesn't exist until after salvation. You must believe (be saved) before you would ever come to him. And Faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X