Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Babies etc: Tyrel and RBerman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babies etc: Tyrel and RBerman

I took the liberty of carrying this over from a private discussion. If this doesn't meet with Tyrel's approval, I'll ask this thread to be removed.

Originally posted by Tyrel
    So then, suppose that somebody has not the physical faculties enabling any attitude of rebellion (perhaps not allowing any attitude at all), such as by having a severely malformed brain, or having no brain at all (as of yet), would this still qualify as all men sinning? I note that the brain and the mind are not identical, but I do hold a hylomorphic view of the body-soul relation (not a substance-dualist view, I'm a little too old-school orthodox for that).
    Someone with minimal cognition has very little ability for actual thoughts of rebellion against God, but that doesn't mean that his soul is not in rebellion. In my understanding of the Roman doctrine of "limbo," unbaptized infants occupy the mildest circle of hell: Hell by virtue of their Original Sin, which makes them guilty; and the mildest circle by virtue of their very limited ability, because for those to whom little is given, little is required. That seems biblical, except that (1) the mildest circle may still be pretty bad, and (2) I don't believe in an opere ex operato baptismal removal of Original Sin. I do allow that God may choose to regenerate anyone whom He wishes, whether an infant or otherwise, to change rebellion into faith and thus salvation. Concerning whether God does this for all, some, or no infants, Scripture is silent, and so am I.

Further, I'm not sure how far down the Calvinist rabbit hole you go, but do you agree with the Kantian axiom that 'ought implies can'? Further, if you do, then what think you about libertarian free will? In connection (again, only if you do accept that Kantian axiom), do you believe that a child in the womb 'ought' not rebel?
    Libertarian Free Will strikes me as both unnecessary (trying to solve a problem that the Bible does not encourage us to think of as a problem) and self-contradictory, since it appears to entail wanting what you don't want. I find no biblical warrant for Kant's axiom as a good summary of Divine justice, nor any confidence that we know what the soul of an infant cannot do. A child in the womb, like a child or adult outside the womb, ought not to rebel against his Maker.

Alternatively, if you are a right-proper Calvinist, are you also a presuppositionalist like van Till, and if you are, are you a meaning holist (i.e., do you adopt a coherence theory of truth in place of a correspondence theory of truth)?
    I am not familiar with those terms. I find presuppositionalism as I understand it a useful tool, but not to the exclusion of evidentiary apologetics as well. Really most people don't respond well to logical appeals anyway. We believe what we want to believe, and then we look for some sort of post hoc justification to rationalize our biases.
    Last edited by RBerman; 02-26-2014, 11:48 PM.

What about the view that babies don't have shame?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

How do babies without brains still have faith? Also, how do babies in the womb have faith without anyone preaching to them?

I don't buy JP Holding's liberal view of hell. But I do agree that babies have not earned any shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        What about the view that babies don't have shame?
        As a general rule, they have very poor fashion sense. And then there's this.

Comment

What do Roman Catholics think happens to babies that die in utero? Or is this what the thread is about? In which case, a lot of embryos in limbo.

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post

Libertarian Free Will strikes me as both unnecessary (trying to solve a problem that the Bible does not encourage us to think of as a problem) and self-contradictory, since it appears to entail wanting what you don't want.
            Well, when you judge LFW based on a Calvinist perspective it would most definitely seem self-contradictory. But of course, we should judge each system based on its own merits & presuppositions (& inspired scripture of course) rather than on the merits and presuppositions of another system.

Comment

Originally posted by phat8594 View Post
              Well, when you judge LFW based on a Calvinist perspective it would most definitely seem self-contradictory. But of course, we should judge each system based on its own merits & presuppositions (& inspired scripture of course) rather than on the merits and presuppositions of another system.
              I can't think of a coherent system in which "wanting what you don't want" would not be self-contradictory. But this thread was really more about babies than LFW.

Comment

I can't think of a coherent system in which "wanting what you don't want" would not be self-contradictory. But this thread was really more about babies than LFW.
                Yes, I meant to say that I was not trying to derail the thread. I just wanted to point out that by sayin 'wanting what you don't want' presupposes a deterministic viewpoint of the will and how decisions are made. So yes, it wouldn't be coherent because it is trying to marry LFW conclusions to deterministic presuppositions & definitions.

In other words, the idea of 'wanting what you don't want' is not an LFW concept. Rather it arises when trying to see if LFW is coherent with determinism. (surprise - it's not).

But then again...perhaps another thread, and another time. Not meaning to derail.

Comment

What do Roman Catholics think happens to babies that die in utero? Or is this what the thread is about? In which case, a lot of embryos in limbo.
                  In the RCC the idea of Limbo has always been considered a philosophical idea that has no scriptural support, thus in the last several decades it has been eliminated as a doctrine of faith - the RCC official position these days is believe what you want to believe concerning those who have not had the opportunity to learn about Christ...

As an aside: we learn in Acts of those who received the Holy Spirit without Baptism...which is of more importance God's endowment or a prescribed ritual which is simply for the benefit of people (ie: the comfy feel)...

Comment

I am not familiar with those terms. I find presuppositionalism as I understand it a useful tool, but not to the exclusion of evidentiary apologetics as well. Really most people don't respond well to logical appeals anyway. We believe what we want to believe, and then we look for some sort of post hoc justification to rationalize our biases. [Emphasis added.]
                    What does this say of Calvinists and those who believe in unending conscious torment?

If you start with the belief that God has exhaustively determined all things (even the very words I'm typing), then everyone at all times is believing precisely what God wants them to believe when he wants them to believe it. According to this line of thought, God's "decretive will" always reigns supreme. My denial of your beliefs in (e.g.) unconditional reprobation and endless conscious torment, then, are ultimately a result of God's foreordainment. The reason I find your reasoning absurd in this instance (and many other instances perhaps) is also because of God's determination. Every false or spurious belief that has ever been perpetuated finds its origins in God's sovereign, exhaustive deterministic will (conveniently mediated by "second causes", of course). In the end, those who believe falsehoods are doing exactly what God wants. The kicker is this: God will hold persons morally accountable for doing that which he has determined they do. The "preceptive will" of God is a ruse. According to Calvinism all of creation is doing what God wants when he wants.

Assuming your belief in exhaustive divine determinism is false, however, I am likely justified in finding the above "reasoning" quite absurd.
                    Last edited by The Remonstrant; 02-27-2014, 09:46 PM.
                    For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Why does that sound like what happens to fictional characters in a story?

Comment

For an early text grappling with conundrum of infant deaths, check out Gregory of Nyssa (you can skip down past the intro to just above page 374, starting with "A human being enters. . . ."
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Excellent question. (I trust already you know the answer.)
                          For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
                            What does this say of Calvinists and those who believe in unending conscious torment?
                            The idea that our choices and opinions spring from our nature seems quite Calvinist.

Comment

Indeed, Hebrews 12:2 refers to Jesus as the "author and perfecter of our faith."

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X