Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Did Jesus have sexual desires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Ever hear the pot calling the kettle black idiom?
    That's racist!!! Nobody, not even a kettle should be called a black idiom!

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Sexual desire is not a sin. Having a thought is not a sin. Dwelling on desires, especially toward someone to whom one is not married, quickly becomes a slippery slope.

Scripture Verse: James 1:12-15 NKJV

12 Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. 13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. 14 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. 15 Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.

© Copyright Original Source

If Jesus became like us in all things save sin, then he very likely had sexual desires. He just didn't dwell on or act on them.
      I agree that having sexual desires is not a sin. He was in control of His desires so He never lusted after women.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        It might come as a shock, but he got hungry, thirsty, tired.... I'm betting he even sweat and "had to go bathroom".
        He was fully human so He had sexual desires. He controlled them perfectly.

Comment

• Honest question: What was the point in posting this thread in the first place?
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            They believe that anyone even remotely human can't possibly be God. from a very strict monotheism this makes sense. The Trinity is a bit more complicated than that.
            Jesus had both human and divine attributes. Jesus with respect to His divinity was omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent. Jesus with respect to His humanity got tired, was hungry, and so on. This is no contradiction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darfius View Post
              While you are doublespeaking, please explain how a man can feel sexual desire without lusting. Was it a particularly well carved chair that turned Him on?
              There is a distinction between having sexual desires and having the desire to fornicate or to commit adultery.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
                Jesus had both human and divine attributes. Jesus with respect to His divinity was omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent. Jesus with respect to His humanity got tired, was hungry, and so on. This is no contradiction.
                Yeah, I was just pointing out what others believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  Honest question: What was the point in posting this thread in the first place?
                  I was curious about how Jesus would have manifested His sexual desires.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Sexual desire is not a sin. Having a thought is not a sin. Dwelling on desires, especially toward someone to whom one is not married, quickly becomes a slippery slope.
                    Sexual orientation is not a sin. But thinking about someone with lust is.

"27You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’ 28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. (Matt. 5:27, 28)

I don't know how this description of "looks" is not thinking.

So the bar is high. Jesus being sinless most likely saw woman he thought were attractive and didn't allow himself to think about having sex with them. Something I take to be easier without them setback of a sin nature that the rest of us heterosexual men have.

Lest someone suggest this passage is not talking about sin, the next verse reads,

"If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell."

So it seems looking (with the eye), enable thinking about sex with someone not your spouse, which is sin. According to this passage in Matthew.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ubergenius View Post

"27You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’ 28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. (Matt. 5:27, 28)

So the bar is high. Jesus being sinless most likely saw woman he thought were attractive and didn't allow himself to think about having sex with them. Something I take to be easier without them setback of a sin nature that the rest of us heterosexual men have.

Lest someone suggest this passage is not talking about sin, the next verse reads,

"If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell."

So it seems looking (with the eye), enable thinking about sex with someone not your spouse, which is sin. According to this passage in Matthew.
                      I think you're blurring where I'm trying to make a distinction. I would equate "looking to lust after" with "dwelling on desires" - which, yes, is "thinking." A thought can come into my head from anywhere - but if I reject it, how is it a sin?
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Ubergenius View Post

Young's Literal Translation says "but I -- I say to you, that every one who is looking on a woman to desire her, did already commit adultery with her in his heart."

You look out your back door, and your neighbor woman has decided to go for a swim in the nude. You see her, then you look away, knowing you don't really need to see that. As opposed to continuing to watch, and allowing your imagination to run.

Sometimes, you can't help "seeing something", but you don't have to continue looking.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Young's Literal Translation says "but I -- I say to you, that every one who is looking on a woman to desire her, did already commit adultery with her in his heart."

You look out your back door, and your neighbor woman has decided to go for a swim in the nude. You see her, then you look away, knowing you don't really need to see that. As opposed to continuing to watch, and allowing your imagination to run.

Sometimes, you can't help "seeing something", but you don't have to continue looking.
                          Advice David should have taken

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X