Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.


Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why distinguish the woman and her children

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why distinguish the woman and her children

    Apparently, the woman refers to Israel, the "Jerusalem which is above."

    Revelation 12:1-17
    And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars: And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered. . . . And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

    2 John 1:1
    The elder unto the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth; and not I only, but also all they that have known the truth[.]

    Galatians 4:26
    But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

    Hebrews 12:22-24
    But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, to the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.


    Isaiah 54:1-3
    Sing, O barren, thou that didst not bear;
    break forth into singing, and cry aloud, thou that didst not travail with child:
    for more are the children of the desolate
    than the children of the married wife, saith the Lord.
    Enlarge the place of thy tent,
    and let them stretch forth the curtains of thine habitations:
    spare not, lengthen thy cords, and strengthen thy stakes;
    for thou shalt break forth on the right hand and on the left;
    and thy seed shall inherit the Gentiles,
    and make the desolate cities to be inhabited.


    Yet Revelation 12 says that when the dragon tries to persecute the woman, she gets away. So the dragon instead goes to persecute her children (which seems to be described in Revelation 13 with the beasts and such).

    Revelation 12:13-17
    And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child. 14 And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent. . . . And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.


    The question of the thread is this: If the woman represents believers and her children also represent believers, what is the point of distinguishing them, and in what way did the woman truly escape if her children still get persecuted?

  • #2
    Revelation 12:4-9 should allow for a clear enough understanding.

    When was the woman with child - ready to give birth, and with Satan waiting to devour the child? Who is the male child appointed to rule all nations?
    Last edited by tabibito; 09-11-2015, 12:25 PM.
    sigpic1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω

    Comment


    • #3
      Umm, I kinda feel like your post doesn't really answer the question.

      Comment


      • #4
        My response addresses the issue of whether the woman can be Israel. That section of Revelation 12 isn't concerned with the future, but with the past at the time of writing.
        sigpic1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω

        Comment


        • #5
          The woman is Israel. I already proved it definitively. If you are disputing that part, you are simply incorrect.

          Comment


          • #6
            Possibly tabibito has in mind the tales from Qumran...the following site might be of some assistance when considering the "War in heaven"...
            https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/divinit.../melcharticle/

            "The book of Revelation, probably written near the end of the first century C.E. in Asia Minor, contains another reflex of the war in heaven myth in chapter 12. The development of the traditions in this chapter into their present form seems to have been complex, and for the most part I am following here the redactional analysis of Adela Yarbro Collins.<16> She argues that the Christian redactor--probably John himself--combined the myth of the woman and the dragon (vv. 1-5 and 14-16) with the myth of the war in heaven (vv. 7-9). He added seams to connect the myths to each other and to the rest of the book (vv. 6, 13, 17), introduced a Christian hymn (vv. 10-12), and made other small changes. The two myths were Jewish rather than Christian in their original form, although Greek myth also has significantly influenced the first. In its present setting the story of the woman leaves us perplexed as to whether she represents the Church or Mary the mother of Jesus. But the pericope makes good sense if she is interpreted as Israel, the figurative mother of a Jewish messiah. Likewise, the war in heaven features Michael as the divine hero (as in the War Scroll and the piyyu<.t> by Qalliri, discussed below), although we would expect Jesus to take on this role (as in Revelation 19) if the narrative were composed by a Christian".

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
              The woman is Israel. I already proved it definitively. If you are disputing that part, you are simply incorrect.
              Well!!! There is a problem if the woman is symbolic of either of the nations Israel or Judah. OT symbolism has it that Israel was an adulterous and Judah was a harlot. The consequence: her offspring would be born as a result of harlotry and thus blemished = unacceptable as a champion of God.

              Imo, the best we can assume is that the woman is of the seed of Jacob.

              Consider Joseph's dream at Genesis 37:9. It is generally agreed that in the symbolism of the dream: Jacob=the sun, Rachel=the moon, and Jacob's twelve sons=the twelve stars. In Joseph's dream all of these did obeisance to him. In A.John's vision the woman is clothed with the sun (Jacob), which indicates that from her a nation and a king would arise (cp. Genesis 35:11), but more importantly all of God's promises to Abraham & Isaac would flow from her offspring (cp. Genesis 35:12). The moon (Rachel) is under her feet, which I take to mean the redundancy of Israel & Judah. Upon her head is a crown of twelve stars (Jacobs sons). Presumably, the twelve stars as her crown represent Jesus' twelve disciples, the spiritual sons of the woman (cp. John 19:26).

              Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
              The question of the thread is this: If the woman represents believers and her children also represent believers, what is the point of distinguishing them, and in what way did the woman truly escape if her children still get persecuted?
              If it as you say, the woman is believers and the children are believers, then it makes sense to preserve the woman. She could have more offspring! In any case, in the vision, the woman is separated from her offspring by God. Taking your idea that both the child and the woman represent believers consider Cyprian's actions during one of the persecutions. He fled to safety leaving his congregation to fend for themselves! He justified his actions by reasoning his congregation would need him when the persecution ended. His death would be of no assistance to them.

              Some hold that the woman represents the church and the child its congregation ie: the administration and those that receive ministration.
              Last edited by apostoli; 09-16-2015, 01:38 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                An alternative view, taught mainly by preterists, is that the woman refers to Jewish Christians and the children refer to gentile Christians. But yes, I was thinking that the woman refers to the church as an entity, or the "administration" as you say. Here is another potentially relevant passage that points to the apostles as the woman:

                John 16:19-22 Now Jesus knew that they were desirous to ask him, and said unto them, Do ye enquire among yourselves of that I said, A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see me? . . . A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world. And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you.

                But in practical terms, the main problem I have is this: What sense does it make to say that the administration was led into the wilderness? You will note that according to the passage, the dragon first tries to battle the woman with his direct physical powers. It is only after the woman flies to the wilderness that he tries to persecute her a more indirect way, by shooting water out of his mouth.

                Also, you brought up the war in heaven. I think the war in heaven probably refers to the fall of the pagan religion within the Roman Empire.

                Ephesians 6:12-19 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places . . . praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; and for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,

                Revelation 12:7-11 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, and prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night. And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

                Luke 10:17-18 And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name. And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.

                As a side note, Cyprian didn't need to justify himself. Jesus specifically said that when you are persecuted your first choice should be to flee.
                Last edited by Obsidian; 09-16-2015, 12:41 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Obsidian
                  An alternative view, taught mainly by preterists...
                  I assume I rank as some shade of preterest. For instance: i hold that Luke 21:7-28 as predictions fulfilled (including the parousia of Christ, which I take as representing the end of the temple cult and the ascension of Christian). But that said I acknowledge the forcasts of Revelation which I understand to have been written by A.John towards the end of his life (late 1st century), so as with A.John and the early Christians I hope for the glorious appearance...and the coming of a new heaven and new earth...

                  Originally posted by Obsidian
                  An alternative view, taught mainly by preterists is that the woman refers to Jewish Christians and the children refer to gentile Christians.
                  Amoungst theologians there is acceptence of multiple fulfilments of prophecy, and thus multiple interpretations of particulars. Daniel is a case in point. But that said: at a personal level I reject the idea you attribute to "mainly preterists". I hold that since the Temple cult arose (from the time of Solomon (if not David) all bets were off concerning Israel and Judah (cp. 1 Kings 9:1-9), so I attribute nothing to the Jews apart from being of the seed of Abraham (I use the term Jew in the same way as A.John = those who ministered to the Temple., or those bound to the Temple). John 4 also inclines me to reject the view you related. I find Jesus' encounter with the Samaritan woman most enlightening! Though Jesus told her "salvation is of the Jews" (vs24) he also predicted the termination of all centers of worship, including Jerusalem and the Temple (vs20-24). But of more importance to me is the Samaritan woman's expectation and profession of the coming Messiah. Jesus directly told her "I that speak to you am he" (vs25-26). What fascinates me about this event is Jesus never made such a direct admission to any Jew, including the disciples! (when Peter made his admission, Jesus attributed it to revelation and had the disciples pledge they would tell no man that he (Jesus) was the Christ (Mt 16:13-20 contrast Mt 26:63). The other thing that fascinates me is that John 4 tells us of Jesus' first mass conversion of a people. They were not gentiles, nor were they Jews aligned to the Temple, but Samaritans! (vs29,30,35-42).

                  Originally posted by Obsidian
                  But yes, I was thinking that the woman refers to the church as an entity, or the "administration" as you say. Here is another potentially relevant passage that points to the apostles as the woman:

                  John 16:19-22 Now Jesus knew that they were desirous to ask him, and said unto them, Do ye enquire among yourselves of that I said, A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see me? . . . A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world. And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you.
                  I think appeal to Galatians 4:19 would be more focused "My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you..." The analogy of the travail and child birth is so common in scripture it borders on the mundane and so I'm inclined to by-pass the reference in Revelation. Still, assuming it has validity, we would have to determine how the depiction of the sun, moon & stars applies to the "administration" and not the entire church.

                  Originally posted by Obsidian
                  But in practical terms, the main problem I have is this: What sense does it make to say that the administration was led into the wilderness? You will note that according to the passage, the dragon first tries to battle the woman with his direct physical powers. It is only after the woman flies to the wilderness that he tries to persecute her a more indirect way, by shooting water out of his mouth.
                  Note that she is only in the wilderness for a 1,260 days (the prophetic standard of three and a half years).

                  Originally posted by Obsidian
                  Also, you brought up the war in heaven. I think the war in heaven probably refers to the fall of the pagan religion within the Roman Empire.
                  From Daniel, possibly the collapse of the Roman empire by the end of the 5th century CE. It is interesting that thereafter the Church took on a leading secular as well as religious role from this time forward and that Islam arose shortly thereafter.

                  Originally posted by Obsidian
                  Ephesians 6:12-19 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places . . . praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; and for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,
                  Interestingly, once Christianity took over secular administration of the "civilised world" what is called the dark ages prevailed. In the same period Islam was a shining light but the fanatics eventually put out the flame. Must be a North African thing, the same thing almost happened in Christianity with the rise of christian fanatics like the Agonistae/Circumcellions in the 4th century (earlier and later?).

                  Originally posted by Obsidian
                  Revelation 12:7-11 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, and prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night. And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
                  This has always confused me. Imu, the war in heaven was suppose to have happened in pre-history with Satan doomed to tread the earth and the fallen angels locked up in Tartarus. It is said that A.John's vision incorporated lots from ancient Jewish/Canaanite myth in its symbolism. Reminds me of a book that I'd read my kids when they were young, when you got to certain pages you didn't necessarily go to the next page, but there was a choice to branch to a different page. Same story different view of the battle field so to speak. A never ending story so to speak.

                  Originally posted by Obsidian
                  Luke 10:17-18 And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name. And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.
                  Given Mt 15:17-21 I'm not impressed with Lk 10:17 (except their power stemed from the name of Jesus cp. Acts 4:6-18). Now Mt 10:18 is very interesting. If the 70 had been familiar with Enoch, the "war Scrolls" of Qumran, or the like (which is more than likely), Jesus just made an admission of his pre-existence (cp. John 8:40 & 58).

                  Originally posted by Obsidian
                  As a side note, Cyprian didn't need to justify himself. Jesus specifically said that when you are persecuted your first choice should be to flee.
                  Well!!! Cyrian lived in an era and place where people sought out and provoked their martyrdom. Church history informs us that in North Africa the Roman authorities bent over backwards to facilitate the "christians" but it was a difficult proposition when you had fanatics vandalising temples, cemeteries and public property, attacking public officials and soldiers (the police) and directly provoking the authorities in a myraid of ways, so the authorities would attack and kill them. Then when the authorities reacted we read of christian women throwing their children into rivers to drown as an act of mercy, and christian virgins throwing themselves off roof so they wouldn't be defiled. These are eye witness Christian accounts not secular accounts. They are the reason the RCC have church laws against suicide, iunnecessarily seeking out martyrdom and are generally sceptical about supposed martyrs.

                  The Church annals record that in North Africa there were bands of "christians" who would terrorise local communities demanding they be martyred, if they weren't they'd beat the villagers. There is a funny Roman secular story recorded in he annals. The fellow who tells the story says that whilst travelling he was bailed up by a group of these "martyrs" brandishing clubs. They demanded he take out his sword and kill them for being "christians". He agreed on one condition: first they had to let him tie them up. They agreed. After binding them, he recommenced his journey, laughing at their curses as he went... Whether this story is true or just good for a laugh at the local tavern is anyone's guess but Church history does record that such bands existed.

                  Cyrian did have to justify himself! You may not be aware that at the Council of Nicea of 325CE a huge amount of time was spent working out arrangements to appease the Novationists (Europe) and Meletians (North Africa) and other groups who refused admission to their churches to anyone who had intentionally avoided martyrdom during the persecutions. Cases such as that of Cyrian are discussed in the literature.
                  Last edited by apostoli; 09-17-2015, 03:30 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by apostoli View Post
                    I assume I rank as some shade of preterest. For instance: i hold that Luke 21:7-28 as predictions fulfilled (including the parousia of Christ, which I take as representing the end of the temple cult and the ascension of Christian). But that said I acknowledge the forcasts of Revelation which I understand to have been written by A.John towards the end of his life (late 1st century), so as with A.John and the early Christians I hope for the glorious appearance...and the coming of a new heaven and new earth...
                    Luke 21:7
                    So they asked Him, saying, “Teacher, but when will these things be? And what sign will there be when these things are about to take place?”

                    Luke 21:7 (Mark 13:4 likewise) doesn't state the question in full, which is why the detail is so difficult to ascertain. However, Matthew does record the full question:

                    Matthew 24:3
                    Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?”


                    The question addresses three issues, each of which is addressed by the answer - When will these things be? (seemingly, the issue immediately at hand - destruction of the temple) ... What will be the sign of your coming? ... What will be the sign of the end of the age?
                    Last edited by tabibito; 09-17-2015, 07:42 AM.
                    sigpic1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                      Luke 21:7
                      So they asked Him, saying, “Teacher, but when will these things be? And what sign will there be when these things are about to take place?”

                      Luke 21:7 (Mark 13:4 likewise) doesn't state the question in full, which is why the detail is so difficult to ascertain. However, Matthew does record the full question:

                      Matthew 24:3
                      Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?”


                      The question addresses three issues, each of which is addressed by the answer - When will these things be? (seemingly, the issue immediately at hand - destruction of the temple) ... What will be the sign of your coming? ... What will be the sign of the end of the age?
                      The advantage for us of course is hindsight. On review I should have started with Luke 21:5 "...as some spake of the temple, how it was adorned with goodly stones and gifts, he said, As for these things which ye behold, the days will come, in the which there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down...". As can be observed even today, the Temple was obliterated. All that remains is part of an annex known as Herod's wall (the wailing wall). Two things of interest: 1. though Herod's wall was within the Temple compound, it wasn't part of the Temple itself. 2. Though Herod rebuilt the Temple as one of his architectural endevours, he himself was prohibited from entering the Temple area itself. He was restricted to the court of the Gentiles.

                      Imo, the verse that directly answers the disciples question and pre-warns them of a coming tribulation is Luke 21:20 "And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh." Jesus goes into some detail in the next few verses, and it is an historical fact that these came to pass not long after the death of Matthew, Mark & Luke...

                      Anyway, these are a matters for another thread. I'm reluctant to high-jack Obsidian's focus...except where something is off-centre but relevant eg: me replying to a statement made by Obsidian, the starting point for my opinion, justifications for my opinion and/or historical background...


                      I'll create another thread...
                      Last edited by apostoli; 09-17-2015, 04:55 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                        Apparently, the woman refers to Israel, the "Jerusalem which is above."

                        Revelation 12:1-17
                        And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars: And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered. . . . And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

                        2 John 1:1
                        The elder unto the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth; and not I only, but also all they that have known the truth[.]

                        Galatians 4:26
                        But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

                        Hebrews 12:22-24
                        But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, to the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.


                        Isaiah 54:1-3
                        Sing, O barren, thou that didst not bear;
                        break forth into singing, and cry aloud, thou that didst not travail with child:
                        for more are the children of the desolate
                        than the children of the married wife, saith the Lord.
                        Enlarge the place of thy tent,
                        and let them stretch forth the curtains of thine habitations:
                        spare not, lengthen thy cords, and strengthen thy stakes;
                        for thou shalt break forth on the right hand and on the left;
                        and thy seed shall inherit the Gentiles,
                        and make the desolate cities to be inhabited.


                        Yet Revelation 12 says that when the dragon tries to persecute the woman, she gets away. So the dragon instead goes to persecute her children (which seems to be described in Revelation 13 with the beasts and such).

                        Revelation 12:13-17
                        And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child. 14 And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent. . . . And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.


                        The question of the thread is this: If the woman represents believers and her children also represent believers, what is the point of distinguishing them, and in what way did the woman truly escape if her children still get persecuted?
                        Maybe St John wanted to emphasise the contrast between "the great whore" and her "daughters" OTOH - and the "woman" & her "children", OTO. Some interpreters see the woman of 12 as an as yet unfallen version of Babylon the Great in 17; an intriguing suggestion, certainly. I think - so far - that the woman of 12 is the "Jerusalem that comes down from Heaven" near the end of the book. I assumed that the "children" of the "woman" were individual human beings, and that the "woman" & BTG were both personifications of societies. It would seem odd to have one woman being an individual person, or a society, and not the other as well.

                        Since the sealed 144,000 Jews are individuals, and since the various crowds are made up of individuals, it would make sense if the "children" were also individuals. They may even belong to one of the crowds already mentioned, like the 144,000.

                        The woman escapes because she is not overcome by the waters the Great Red Dragon vomits at her - her children can still be persecuted, so the GRD goes after them, as neither she nor the Man-Child is available to be persecuted. The GRD can't bother her or her Child, so he contents himself with persecuting them instead. St John is using Jeremian imagery of Nebuchadnezzar as a *tannin* - "monster, dragon" - swallowing up Judah. The "waters" recall Jonah, Psalm 129, & passages in Isaiah.

                        St Jerome was correct - Rev contains "as many mysteries as words".

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yeah. But it still doesn't really answer the question of what it means for the woman to escape into the wilderness, while the "children" still get persecuted.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                            [/B]

                            The question of the thread is this: If the woman represents believers and her children also represent believers, what is the point of distinguishing them, and in what way did the woman truly escape if her children still get persecuted?
                            This is a different view.

                            As the Scripture uses the words "Church" "Woman," "Temple," and "Zion" as referring to all the elect, they are also used to refer of particular members of the elect.

                            Zion

                            Heb 12:22-23
                            22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, 23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

                            Ps 78:68
                            But chose the tribe of Judah, the mount Zion which he loved.


                            Church

                            1Pet 2:9

                            But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

                            1Cor 12:28-29
                            28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?

                            Eph 4:11
                            And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;


                            Woman
                            Woman likewise refers of the church, but among the members of the Church, there are those who nurtures, and members that are being nurtured. The woman would refer to those who nurtures, and the children referring to the ones being nurtured.


                            Setting aside the detailed explanations for now, I am concluding that Zion, Church, and Woman may refer to the leaders of the Church(all the elect).


                            "led to wilderness" and "nourished"
                            Being "led to wilderness" and is being "nourished" points to the reason that there will be a famine of the word of God (Amos 8:11-14), and the fall of the church in the hand of the enemy(Dan 8:24). Being "led to wilderness" implies that the woman, referring of the leaders, are lost and have no definite established place of rule/authority because of the loss of the word. Without knowledge of the Truth, the word of God, one cannot establish himself as a priest unto God. Being "nourished" means that the Woman will undergo weaning because of the loss of the word.

                            Consider also the scenario below:

                            Isa 49:18-23
                            18 Lift up thine eyes round about, and behold: all these gather themselves together, and come to thee. As I live, saith the LORD, thou shalt surely clothe thee with them all, as with an ornament, and bind them on thee, as a bride doeth. 19 For thy waste and thy desolate places, and the land of thy destruction, shall even now be too narrow by reason of the inhabitants, and they that swallowed thee up shall be far away. 20 The children which thou shalt have, after thou hast lost the other, shall say again in thine ears, The place is too strait for me: give place to me that I may dwell. 21 Then shalt thou say in thine heart, Who hath begotten me these, seeing I have lost my children, and am desolate, a captive, and removing to and fro? and who hath brought up these? Behold, I was left alone; these, where had they been? 22 Thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I will lift up mine hand to the Gentiles, and set up my standard to the people: and they shall bring thy sons in their arms, and thy daughters shall be carried upon their shoulders. 23 And kings shall be thy nursing fathers, and their queens thy nursing mothers: they shall bow down to thee with their face toward the earth, and lick up the dust of thy feet; and thou shalt know that I am the LORD: for they shall not be ashamed that wait for me.

                            Verse 21 pretty much described what happened to the church. Rev 11:7, Rev 13:7, Dan 7:21, 25, and Dan 8:24 clearly show a time when the church was given unto the hands of the enemy, so the church can't really be functioning/ruling, and is therefore in the state of wandering to and fro, like lost in the wilderness.
                            Last edited by Parakletos; 09-24-2016, 12:43 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              So, the passage just teaches that sanctified Christians (or else "leaders") will somehow escape persecution? In a sense it is often true that God protects the Christians who are living rightly. But I don't think it's universally true enough that Revelation would come right out and promise it.

                              Also, your view doesn't hold up very well when we see that Paul, a major nurturer, called Jerusalem his own mother.

                              Galatians 4:26
                              But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seanD, 03-26-2020, 12:05 PM
                              44 responses
                              4,935 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post eschaton  
                              Started by KingsGambit, 07-29-2018, 07:36 PM
                              73 responses
                              13,109 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post eschaton  
                              Started by hamster, 07-05-2015, 01:07 PM
                              116 responses
                              31,418 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post ReformedApologist  
                              Working...
                              X