Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.

Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Left Behind's version of the Second Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left Behind's version of the Second Coming

I've been wondering if that version of the Second Coming could get mistaken for an alien invasion or something. Wonder what the transition to the New Creation will really look like? Yes, I realize the left behind books aren't good books and the writers seem to have watched too many r rated action movies.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    I've been wondering if that version of the Second Coming could get mistaken for an alien invasion or something. Wonder what the transition to the New Creation will really look like? Yes, I realize the left behind books aren't good books and the writers seem to have watched too many r rated action movies.

It's not as if the Bible itself is vacant of violent imagery.

Revelation 19:20-21
    New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    Doom of the Beast and False Prophet

20 And the beast was seized, and with him the false prophet who performed the signs [a]in his presence, by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image; these two were thrown alive into the lake of fire which burns with [b]brimstone. 21 And the rest were killed with the sword which came from the mouth of Him who sat on the horse, and all the birds were filled with their flesh.

Judges 19:29
    When he entered his house, he took a knife and laid hold of his concubine and cut her in twelve pieces, limb by limb, and sent her throughout the territory of Israel.

Judges 3:21-23
    21 Ehud stretched out his left hand, took the sword from his right thigh and thrust it into his belly. 22 The handle also went in after the blade, and the fat closed over the blade, for he did not draw the sword out of his belly; and the refuse came out. 23 Then Ehud went out into the vestibule and shut the doors of the roof chamber behind him, and locked them.

I'm not really sure what you are getting at with the underlined part.

Comment

I know. They were more graphic than the bible.

Comment

I know. They were more graphic than the bible.

I really don't know where you are getting that.

Comment

Starring: Nicolas Cage

"It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
          -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          I support the :
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
            Starring: Nicolas Cage

Well, it's been a few years, but I just remember reading a graphic description of the enemy soldiers bursting like balloons because of Jesus quoting scripture. Would that be taking sword of the Spirit too literally?

Comment

Well, it's been a few years, but I just remember reading a graphic description of the enemy soldiers bursting like balloons because of Jesus quoting scripture. Would that be taking sword of the Spirit too literally?
              Um, again.

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

It's not as if the Bible itself is vacant of violent imagery.

Revelation 19:20-21
              Doom of the Beast and False Prophet

20 And the beast was seized, and with him the false prophet who performed the signs [a]in his presence, by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image; these two were thrown alive into the lake of fire which burns with [b]brimstone. 21 And the rest were killed with the sword which came from the mouth of Him who sat on the horse, and all the birds were filled with their flesh.
              Sounds pretty literal to me.

Comment

Portraying Revelation in film completely literally would seem difficult, with abstract concepts being treated as tangible objects (i.e. death, which is thrown into the lake of fire).
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

It's a book series. And forget about my crack about graphic violence. It's the difference between
                  this: The guy's head was cut off/ he was disemboweled and his guts came out
                  and this: The blabe went crunching through his spine and down into his neck with blood spurting on the floor/ blood and fat and organs fell on the floor as he was being disemboweled but with pages of description.
                  I was more interested in seeing the other views of what it will be like when Jesus comes back and the final resurrection occurs. As far as Eschatology positions go, I'm not dogmatic for any position and more of a pannenialist(it all pans out in the end).
                  Last edited by Christianbookworm; 06-10-2014, 07:47 PM.

Comment

It's been ages since I've read Left Behind, but I distinctly remember alien invasions being one of the more popular explanations for the mass disappearances.

Comment

I liked the Left Behind books.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        I liked the Left Behind books.
                        Yeah, me too. I mean sure, I can see why some disagree with them, but they didn't seem horrible as far as fiction goes.

Comment

I liked the kid ones, but I've heard the adult books aren't that great. Anyways I was just using it as an example of one view of the final battle.

Comment

Most of what I read is non-fiction anyway, but I just can't motivate myself to read fiction where I know exactly what's going to happen in the end.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I haven't read the Left Behind books... does that make me a horrible person?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X