Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.

Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Jewish prayer has returned to the Temple Mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewish prayer has returned to the Temple Mount

Wasn't sure where to put this.

I just thought it was interesting, but I know some will see this as part of fulfillment of prophecy, and the rebuilding of the Temple as part of their own version of eschatology.

Again, having actually been there, I just thought it was interesting.

Jewish prayer has returned to the Temple Mount

Jewish worshipers are able to pray on the Temple Mount with what appears to be the tacit consent of police forces at the site, The Jerusalem Post observed during a visit there on Thursday.

Despite the insistence by Israel Police that there has been no change in the decades-old policy, Jews now pray – in full view of the police – in an unobtrusive and inconspicuous manner.

A senior Wakf Department official said he was unaware of any change in the status quo on the Temple Mount, but warned that any change would lead to renewed protests and spark a strong response from Arabs and Muslims.
    Led by Rabbi Eliyahu Weber and joyfully singing “Let us go up to the Temple,” a quorum of 10 Jewish men ascended the Temple Mount on Thursday morning at the beginning of non-Muslim visiting hours at 7:00 a.m. This reporter joined the group as it toured the compound.

The group began the typical counter-clockwise tour of the site accompanied as usual by several police officers. It began at the Mughrabi Gate and worked its way around the eastern side of the esplanade, stopping at various points and eventually leaving out of the Chain Gate on its western side into the Muslim Quarter of Jerusalem’s Old City.

Upon reaching the eastern gate of the Dome of the Rock shrine, Weber and the group of Jewish men, and two women, stopped for between five and 10 minutes to recite the cantor’s repetition of the central Amidah prayer, including the components for congregational participation.

A kohen, a member of the priestly line, gave the blessing to the worshipers that is part of the daily morning service.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Interesting, it's good that Jewish people can pray there again--though that's a far cry from rebuilding the temple. We may note that Ezekiel's temple seems to be in the middle of Israel, not necessarily on the temple mount, which might get around the rebuilding-the-temple blockade.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Interesting development...

China Calls UN Security Council Meeting Over Israel Minister's Al-Aqsa Visit

China and the United Arab Emirates have called for a UN Security Council meeting at a moment tensions in Jerusalem are poised to explode, given growing Palestinian outrage in response to Israel's new far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir having entered the al-Aqsa Mosque compound this week in a hugely controversial move.

Jewish firebrand leader Ben-Gvir was just sworn in to his post last week as part of PM Netanyahu's governing coalition, widely seen as the most far-right in Israel's history, and his first act as national security chief came Tuesday with the highly provocative visit to the Jerusalem mosque, revered by Muslims across the globe as the third holiest site in Islam, only after Mecca and Medina.

A UN council to address the issue and ongoing tensions is expected to convene Thursday, UN sources told Reuters. Arab countries including Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and UAE were quick to condemn the move, and also Turkey issued a denunciation.

Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammad Shtayyeh had charged that Ben-Gvir's trip under tight Israeli police protection of a bid to turn the shrine "into a Jewish temple." Additionally, Palestinian Authority leaders issued a statement saying it was "an unprecedented provocation."

Apart from the spectacle of a hardline settler expansionist politician entering a Muslim sacred site, the issue is so symbolic and sensitive given precisely that the Israeli far-right has long pushed for government annexation over the whole of Temple Mount, on top of which Aqsa Mosque sits.

This is why AFP and other outlets quickly acknowledged Ben-Gvir's actions "could spark a war."
      Palestinian and international leaders are urging calm as a response or "next step" is being hotly debated, while Hamas has already said Israel has crossed a "red line" - and reportedly fired off at least one rocket since Tuesday.

Israel's new National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir, via Democracy NowAs for the US, its statement was much more muted, but suggests tensions between the Biden administration and Israel nonetheless. "We're deeply concerned by any unilateral actions that have the potential to exacerbate tensions precisely because we want to see the opposite happen," State Dept spokesman Ned Price said. "The United States stands firmly for the preservation of the historic status quo with respect to the holy sites in Jerusalem."

Amid the uproar, newly sworn-in Prime Minister Netanyahu later issued a statement seeking to clarify that his government would not try to change the status quo governing religious sites in Jerusalem. This also given any Israeli move to take over the Aqsa compound would without doubt spark a third Palestinian Intifada.
      I can't figure out if Netanyahu's "far-right" stance is a negative or a positive for the chances of the temple being built. Personally, I've been expecting more of an interfaith peace treaty approach, perhaps sponsored by the UN and other world powers, that would get it built, but maybe it will be a more aggressive and forceful approach. US stance seems to be against the latter.

Crazy times. I find it all fascinating (and thrilling) watching how it might go down.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
        Interesting development...

China Calls UN Security Council Meeting Over Israel Minister's Al-Aqsa Visit

I can't figure out if Netanyahu's "far-right" stance is a negative or a positive for the chances of the temple being built. Personally, I've been expecting more of an interfaith peace treaty approach, perhaps sponsored by the UN and other world powers, that would get it built, but maybe it will be a more aggressive and forceful approach. US stance seems to be against the latter.

Crazy times. I find it all fascinating (and thrilling) watching how it might go down.
        When a mere visit by a politician threatens to spark a war, we're not exactly close to seeing stones laid.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          When a mere visit by a politician threatens to spark a war, we're not exactly close to seeing stones laid.
          Last time that happened apparently was Ariel Sharon who did it two decades ago and it sparked a major conflict in the aftermath. This guy is saying this won't be the last time this happens. It seems they're intentionally trying to cause violent escalation because that's what they want as an excuse to take over the Temple Mount by force. There's also rumors I'm hearing about an attempt to sacrifice a red heifer on the TM this year. But we'll see how it goes. I'm thinking 2023 is going to be an interesting year in Israel. I know for a fact '23 is going to be one tumultuous year throughout the world in general for various other reasons.

Comment

I will admit, even though I believe it's going to happen, building of the third temple seems to be up against monumental odds, and when it happens (however it happens), it will have to be viewed as nothing short of miraculous...

Netanyahu Fires Israel Defense Minister For Urging Halt To Judicial Reform

In perhaps the least surprising geopolitical move of the day, Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu fired his defense minister on Sunday, a day after Yoav Gallant called for a halt to the planned overhaul of Israel's judiciary that has divided the country.

Netanyahu's office did not provide further details.

As we detailed below, Gallant, a senior member of Netanyahu's Likud party, became the first to break ranks late Saturday by calling for the legislation to be frozen.

In a major development, Israeli defense minister Yoav Gallant on Saturday called for Benjamin Netanyahu's government to halt its planned judicial reforms, which have prompted enormous protests and are starting to disrupt the country's military.

I see the source of our strength eroding...The rift within our society is widening and penetrating the Israel Defense Forces,said Gallant in a televised evening speech. “This is a clear and immediate and tangible danger to the security of the state. I shall not be a party to this.”

In addition to calling for a suspension of the reforms, Gallant also implored Israelis to stop their enormous protests, which raged even as he spoke.

Israeli defense minister Yoav Gallant delivering his remarks on Saturday evening (Defense Ministry photo)
            The coming week could bring high drama and even more upheaval, as the Knesset is expected to hold its final vote on the first aspect of the judicial overhaul: a measure giving the government more power over Supreme Court appointments.

Other reforms would allow the Knesset -- Israel's unicameral legislature -- to override Supreme Court decisions with a simple majority vote. Others would end the court's practice of applying a "reasonableness" test when evaluating laws and government actions.

Critics characterize the scheme as a step deeper into authoritarianism. Some say the moves are in part designed to help Netanyahu terminate his ongoing prosecution on corruption charges.

The past ten weeks have seen major public protests all across Israel. Saturday night's crowds were reportedly the largest yet, estimated in the hundreds of thousands.

Gallant said the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) are feeling the effects: "The events happening in Israeli society are not staying out of the military. Feelings of rage, disappointment and fear have reached heights we have never seen before," said Gallant.

More pressingly, a growing coalition of Israeli service members -- calling themselves Brothers in Arms -- are committing to stop showing up for duty in protest of the measures.

Some say they'll stay home if the judicial reform passes, but others aren't waiting -- particularly among Israel's reserve forces. On Friday, two hundred Israeli Air Force reserve pilots signed a letter saying they will not report for two weeks. Reservists are an essential part of Israel's military, and especially its air force, which has been active in bombing targets across Syria, including the Damascus airport.

IDF chief of staff Lt. Gen. Herzi Halevi has already sounded an internal alarm, saying the dip in reservists reporting for duty is now so large that the the military is on the verge of curtailing some operations, according to The New York Times, which quoted three anonymous Israeli officials. Two of those officials are bracing for resignations from full-time service members.

Palestinians would surely welcome the curtailing of IDF operations
            Underscoring the divisions caused by the judicial proposal, far-right national security minister Itamar Ben-Gvir lashed out at his fellow cabinet member, urging Netanyahu to fire Gallant, whom he condemned for "succumbing to the pressure of those [IDF members] who threatened to refuse [to report for duty] and are trying to stop the important reform."

Similarly, Israel's communications minister accused Gallant, a former navy commando, of "giving wind to a military coup."

However, just minutes after Gallant concluded his remarks, two of his fellow Likud party lawmakers endorsed his plea, Haaretz reports. One is the chair of the Knesset's security and foreign affairs committee, and the other is a person who rarely criticizes Netanyahu.

Israel's agriculture minister and another Likud member reportedly favor a freeze as well. If they went as far as to become "no" votes, that quartet would be sufficient to impede the legislation.

On Friday -- the day before Gallant's speech -- Netanyahu told reporters:

"Surrendering to [IDF] refusal is a terrible danger to the state of Israel...The country cannot exist without the IDF. There will not be a nation, it’s very simple. All red lines have been crossed. People who were responsible for the security of the country suddenly adopted this cynicism.”

Gallant said he had privately shared his views with Netanyahu, who asked him to delay going public with them. Gallant cancelled plans to speak out on Thursday, but said he now felt compelled to take his message to all Israelis.

IOW, if (when) the third temple is built, it won't be achieved under status quo circumstances. The circumstances will have extraordinary significance.

Make a note of Passover, which begins in early April. Rumors are that "extremist" Jewish groups are going to attempt to sacrifice either a lamb or a red heifer on the Temple Mount. And now that they have the backing of Ben-Gvir and his control over the security forces, this could be something that sparks a major civil war in Israel.

Comment

Not all Palestinians are Muslim...

I've read about Christians being proactively involved in the third temple movement in Israel, from participating in the Jewish festivals to actual funding these movements (an evangelical in Texas was apparently involved in the reproduction of the red heifer). I get why Christian futurists are excited about the third temple being built (as I am). But, IMO, Christians should not be directly involved. Reasons for this are:

- God is in control of the event, will get it done in his good time, and doesn't need our assistance.
              - Though the physical third temple is obviously exciting in regards to futurist eschatology, it's contrary to our overall theology as the Body of Christ being His spiritual Temple.
              - Additional sacrifices of animals is contrary, if not an insult, to our theology -- obviously we needed only one ultimate and final sacrifice in Christ.
              - A third temple has monumental geopolitical consequences and will likely result in a lot of chaos and bloodshed, thus Christians shouldn't be directly entangled in that.
              - The authoritarian reach I now believe is required and that the Israeli government is going to take to get it built is likely going to negatively affect Christians living there.

As far as the latter, the building of the temple as well as the circumstances I believe will be required to get it done will undoubtedly result in Jewish Zionist extremists with their own messianic apocalyptic beliefs contrary to Christian belief, and that are going to be none too friendly to either Muslim or Christian faiths, if not downright hostile and even violent towards these opposing religious groups.

It's cool to get thrilled about the implications of it happening (as I am), but Christians should not get their hands directly involved and should do it from the sidelines IMHO.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X