Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.

Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Daniels 70 weeks made Simple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooter
    replied
    From history - I read the Artscroll Mishnah commentary (44 volumes total - I have about a dozen of them). Where was Jesus trial held? There only was one place - the chamber of hewn stone in the temple. This was housed in a wing of the Temple - that is it was half outside of the temple and half inside. A wing. If you are interested I will dig up the Tractates (there are 64) There are two complete accounts (Tractates) of the daily operation of the temple which I find fascinating. The Mishnah is the ultimate authority for the first century operation of the Old Covenant.

Also there were actually three legal courts in the temple. There were two courts with 21 members each. They did most of the legal work in Israel. Then there was the grand Sanhedrin which had 71 members. It was more of an administrative body than a court. But they did try high profile cases like that of Jesus. They had a particular interest in him as they saw him as a potential political threat because of his great following. According to Zechariah about half the people in Jerusalem believed that he was the Messiah. Half did not. When he was crucified two thirds of those who believed that he was the messiah fell away. And God took the remaining third (1/6th) through the fire of persecution and martyrdom.

Good graph - I like it.
    Last edited by Cooter; 04-09-2015, 06:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Truthseeker
    replied
    Originally posted by Cooter View Post
    Jesus’ trial was the last one held in the Chamber of Hewn stone. The earthquake on the day that Jesus was crucified wrecked it so badly that they had to move to other quarters.
    Welcome to TWeb! What is your source for the passage quoted above. I do not remember such details in the Bible. The closest is Rev 11:13.

Leave a comment:

• Cooter
    replied
    Daniel 9:27 - (NIV) 27 He [God the Father] will confirm a covenant [Abrahamic] with many [Israel] for one seven [years]. In the middle of the seven (3 1/2 years) He [God] will put an end to [animal] sacrifice and offering [by the sacrifice of Jesus - once and for all]. And on a wing of the temple [Chamber of Hewn stones - hall where the Sanhedrin met] He [God] will set up an Abomination [the unjust condemnation of Jesus] that causes desolation, [Destruction of the Temple, Jerusalem, and Israel] until the end that is decreed [death by crucifixion - the wrath of God] is poured out on him [Jesus - his suffering and death].

Comments:
    The “one seven” was the 70th week of Daniel. All of the other 69 weeks were a necessary historical prelude to set up the 70th week where God accomplished all that he intended to do.

The main thing that I have done above is to simply define who “He” and “Him” are. “He” is not “The Antichrist” as so many believe today; "He" is God the Father and "Him" is Jesus the Son. And it is not a new covenant made by the Antichrist that is being made here, but rather a confirmation of an old covenant that God made long ago with the Fathers Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. It is indeed "The New Covenant," which came to pass on the very day of the crucifixion.

Galatians 3:17 (KJV)
    And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

Romans 11:27 (KJV)
    For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

What greater abomination could there be in all history than for the Sanhedrin - sitting in their "wing" [chamber] of the Temple - to condemn the Lord of the universe to death just for the sake of ENVY. The chamber of hewn stone was built half outside of the Temple and half inside, which qualifies it to be called a “Wing.“ This was the ultimate abomination of the Jewish nation and it caused the complete desolation of the Temple of God, the city, and the nation itself - all that remained of Jerusalem in 73AD was the Fortress Antonia (according to eyewitnesses), which became the garrison of the 10th Roman legion for over 200 years. The Fortress Antonia is not the Temple Mount, which is a common error of our day. The real Temple mount was a tower with a 450 foot wall on its SE corner. It was totally destroyed just as Jesus said it would be.

Remember that it was God himself that choreographed , engineered, and directed the crucifixion every single inch of the way - he planned everything to the smallest detail. He was the one who set up the unjust trial of Jesus in order to bring his great promises and plan to pass.

Jesus’ trial was the last one held in the Chamber of Hewn stone. The earthquake on the day that Jesus was crucified wrecked it so badly that they had to move to other quarters.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Daniel 9:25 "Know and understand this: From the issuing of the decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until the Anointed One, the ruler, comes, there will be seven 'sevens,' and sixty-two 'sevens.' It will be rebuilt with streets and a trench, but in times of trouble. 26 After the sixty-two 'sevens,' the Anointed One will be cut off and will have nothing.

Nehemiah 2:1 shows that the decree to rebuild was issued in the 20th year of King Artaxerxes (about 445BC). If you take each “week” to be 7 years…

7 Weeks = 49 years
    62 Weeks = 434 years.
    Total: 483 years.

These are Jewish years. The Jewish calendar had 360 days. It works out to be around 477 of our years. If you take 445 BC and subtract 477 years, you get AD 32. It also says that after this time the Anointed One would be “cut off” (a euphemism meaning being killed) – Jesus is thought to have died around AD 30 – 33.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by TP View Post
    Hi. I have a few questions. What is the reference that the Gospel went to the Gentiles in AD 33/34? Peter's vision of the great sheet (Acts 10) occurred in AD 38 (in my understanding).
    Acts 10:1-;11:-18.
    Also, does this interpretation of Daniel assume that in Dan 9:27 the first "he" refers to Christ, the second "he" refers to Christ, but the third "he" refers to Titus? I'm not sure that makes sense. Shouldn't all the "he's" refer to the same person?

Dan 9:27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.
    There are more than one interpretation. Personally, I understand the "he" those three times to refer to the yet, yet future man of sin. ". . . .When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:) . . . . "
    Post 70 AD, a yet future time. I am understanding Daniel 9:26 ". . . and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; . . ." to have been fulfilled in 70 AD. What follows, as yet future.

Leave a comment:

• TP
    replied
    Hi. I have a few questions. What is the reference that the Gospel went to the Gentiles in AD 33/34? Peter's vision of the great sheet (Acts 10) occurred in AD 38 (in my understanding).

Also, does this interpretation of Daniel assume that in Dan 9:27 the first "he" refers to Christ, the second "he" refers to Christ, but the third "he" refers to Titus? I'm not sure that makes sense. Shouldn't all the "he's" refer to the same person?

Dan 9:27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Ged View Post
    The chart is wrong. Given 457 BC and then add 483 years (7 x 7 = 49 years, 62 x 7 = 434 years) is 27 AD. (not 26 AD)
    Yes, 27 + 3.5 = 30.5. But 30.5 + 3.5 = 34 AD.

The math, 457 BC - 483 = -26 BC which is 27 AD. Being there is no zero BC or zero AD.
    Last edited by 37818; 11-28-2014, 12:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ged
    replied
    Dan. ch.9 has a powerful atoning purpose and I am referring to verse Dan 9:24. It is the most comprehensive 'atonement' text in the Old Testament IMO. Basically it is saying that the Cross would achieve these six things:
    • First, it finished transgression for those who believe, so the demands of law do not have to be charged against them.
    • Second, it made an end of sins by removing the accumulated sin temporarily covered under the old covenant, as well as removing in advance sin committed under the new covenant.
    • Third, it reconciled us to God whose justice was satisfied by the propitiatory sacrifice of his Son.
    • Fourth, it enabled the righteousness of Christ to be credited to those that believe on him irrespective of the wrongs they may have done.
    • Fifth, it sealed the vision, authenticating Jesus as the One from God and his ministry as the fulfilment of the promise.
    • Sixth, it raised and anointed a new temple, the Church, holy to the Lord, not made by man’s hands.

Leave a comment:

• Ged
    started a topic Daniels 70 weeks made Simple

Daniels 70 weeks made Simple

Seventy weeks (70*7=490 yrs) are determined for your people and for your holy city ...

Know therefore and understand,that from the going forth of the command to restore and build Jerusalem until Messiah the Prince, there shall be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks ... (69*7=483 yrs)

After the sixty-two weeks Messiah (Jesus) shall be cut off, but not for himself; and the people (Roman troops in ad 70) of the prince who is to come (Titus, a roman general and prince) shall destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end of it shall be with a flood, and till the end of the war desolations are determined.

He (Messiah) shall confirm a covenant with many for one week; but in the middle of the week (3˝ yrs after his revealing) shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering. (temple curtain torn) And on the wing of abominations (ongoing sacrifice an abomination) shall be one who makes desolate, (Titus destroys temple) even until the consummation, which is determined, is poured out on the desolate. (judgement on Jerusalem)

Dan 9:26,27 (N.K.J.Version, bracketed notes added)
widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X