Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.

Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why try to pinpoint the end times?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I'm not talking about setting a specific time (I've noticed date setters try to get around this by saying, it will happen this year, but we don't know what day!)... also a general time, such as your thread as to whether we are in the time of sorrows just preceding the tribulation.
    "Pinpoint" suggests a specific date. Nonetheless, as Darfius stated, we're following the Lord's instructions. You're not repudiating us, you're actually repudiating the Lord's words. So if you can deal with that, have at it. I'm going to continue obeying his command. Also, the eschatology thread is here specifically to discuss the matter. If it bothers you, then take it up with the admins of the forum

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      "Pinpoint" suggests a specific date. Nonetheless, as Darfius stated, we're following the Lord's instructions. You're not repudiating us, you're actually repudiating the Lord's words. So if you can deal with that, have at it. I'm going to continue obeying his command. Also, the eschatology thread is here specifically to discuss the matter. If it bothers you, then take it up with the admins of the forum
      1) he is discussing the matter and asking about the interpretation
      2) he is one of this forum's moderators.... are you that dense?
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Just to be clear, I'm not saying anything is against the site's rules. I'm just asking what the point is.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I know exactly when the end is coming!

When the Father says so!!!! So stop fretting about it and get ready already!
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Good question. In 100 years, all of us here right now will likely be dead. And if you die, it's the end of this world for you. So, why are some obsessed over the end of human history? Every one alive today will be dead in 150 years.

Ninja'd Oh well...
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
              1) he is discussing the matter and asking about the interpretation
              2) he is one of this forum's moderators.... are you that dense?
              Yes, I knew that the color blue represented moderation. And your point is what?

Comment

I'm no futurist, but I agree with SeanD: that if futurism is true, that there's an obligation to look out for and observe the signs that the Lord has told us will precede the end times.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                  I'm no futurist, but I agree with SeanD: that if futurism is true, that there's an obligation to look out for and observe the signs that the Lord has told us will precede the end times.
                  And I believe, if we are truly the followers of Christ, that we be faithful to the end, regardless when that end is. Sure, we observe the signs, but we don't set dates.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                    Some of the signs as listed in the Olivet Discourse and elsewhere in Scripture could easily apply to any number of different eras. Wars and rumors of wars have been omnipresent since the dawn of human civilization, and selfishness has always been part of the fallen human nature. But these signs can nonetheless serve as good reminders that evil will not always reign supreme and that Jesus will, in fact, return.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      And I believe, if we are truly the followers of Christ, that we be faithful to the end, regardless when that end is. Sure, we observe the signs, but we don't set dates.
                      Whether it's the end of you or the end of the universe being a fallen one? And then we have a new body and a new creation!
                      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

A futurist can remain just as faithful to Christ as you are and still obey the commands of Christ to know "when he's at the door." The two are not mutually exclusive, so I don't see the point in this argument unless you think they are.

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        Some of the signs as listed in the Olivet Discourse and elsewhere in Scripture could easily apply to any number of different eras. Wars and rumors of wars have been omnipresent since the dawn of human civilization, and selfishness has always been part of the fallen human nature. But these signs can nonetheless serve as good reminders that evil will not always reign supreme and that Jesus will, in fact, return.
                        Once again, your issue is not with us, your issue is with the Lord who commanded us to observe the signs he gave in order to "know when he's at the door." You're pretty much arguing against what the Lord himself said. You might want to step back and let that sink in because it doesn't seem like you're grasping the reality of that.

Comment

A futurist can remain just as faithful to Christ as you are and still obey the commands of Christ to know "when he's at the door."
                          Ah, so Christ commanded us to stand by the door and wait for the knock? That's just silly.

The two are not mutually exclusive, so I don't see the point in this argument unless you think they are.
                          My specific objection has been DATE SETTING. Are you trying to do THAT? My Job is to "occupy" til He comes. I'm gonna continue doing that -- you can wait by the door.

Source: Luke 19

12 He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return. 13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come.

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ah, so Christ commanded us to stand by the door and wait for the knock? That's just silly.

My specific objection has been DATE SETTING. Are you trying to do THAT? My Job is to "occupy" til He comes. I'm gonna continue doing that -- you can wait by the door.

Source: Luke 19

12 He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return. 13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come.

© Copyright Original Source

I don't understand your first paragraph at all. I was making reference to Matt 24:33

As to your second, okay, but like I said, no one has ever set date here. Every Christian in this thread would agree with you about specific date setting, so it's sort of a redundancy to keep repeating it. The thread, according to KH, was directed to my Time of Sorrows thread, which didn't set a date. So I'm responding in that context.

Comment

As to your second, okay, but like I said, no one has ever set date here.
                              Nor did I say they did. I expressed my opinion, and you seemed to want to take that on as a battle.

Every Christian in this thread would agree with you about specific date setting, so it's sort of a redundancy to keep repeating it.
                              The ONLY reason it keeps coming up is because you seem to want to battle over it.

Comment

Nor did I say they did. I expressed my opinion, and you seemed to want to take that on as a battle.

The ONLY reason it keeps coming up is because you seem to want to battle over it.
                                I just don't see why you keep bringing it up when it isn't relevant to the thread, nor has it ever been an issue in this forum, to my knowledge.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X