Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.

Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Are we in the Time of Sorrows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seanD
    replied
    Originally posted by AlphaBravo View Post
    Yeah that was kinda my point of the LOTR reference. The stones of orthanc were sort of like a closed circuit televisions that showed what the most powerful party wanted it to show. And as it turns out in the case of Denethor it only showed him an exaggerated view of the enemies power which led him to pessimism and despair.
    Hence the moniker "Time of Sorrows."

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBravo
    replied
    Originally posted by seanD View Post
    I believe the emphasis should be put on our unique technology. My explanation is that this generation is able to perceive and (in some ways) even experience the sorrow in the world in a cumulative way that no other prior generation could, via our communication technology. Whether bad things have actually increased is a matter of debate and will probably always be up for debate. Even if things actually did get worse, there would be no way to determine this for sure from previous generations we could never experience.
    Yeah that was kinda my point of the LOTR reference. The stones of orthanc were sort of like a closed circuit televisions that showed what the most powerful party wanted it to show. And as it turns out in the case of Denethor it only showed him an exaggerated view of the enemies power which led him to pessimism and despair.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    I don't own preterism/postmillenialism entirely but I think it is partly just the numbers of Christians as I said. The most generous numbers put them as high as two or three billion. Yes, the numbers of practicing Christians in some western (Euro/GB) and westernized (Japan) nations is low or flagging but in third world and more traditional cultures (Africa/Asia/South America) Christianity is exploding, to say nothing of the US and Canada.

I think the more difficult problem is for the premillenialist to explain how the world is spiraling down to the conditions described in the time of sorrow which is compared in some ways to a time like the time of Noah. Even of Sodom and Gomorrah it is said that God would have spared them for only 10 righteous souls. This perspective leads to an exaggerated pessimism and an anticipation of tragedy that I hope is not self fulfilling. jmho.
    I believe the emphasis should be put on our unique technology. My explanation is that this generation is able to perceive and (in some ways) even experience the sorrow in the world in a cumulative way that no other prior generation could, via our communication technology. Whether bad things have actually increased is a matter of debate and will probably always be up for debate. Even if things actually did get worse, there would be no way to determine this for sure from previous generations we could never experience.

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBravo
    replied
    I agree that the message of Christ is power to change the hearts of men, but it's a proven fact that people are falling away from the faith in droves, and this is a recent trend maybe in the last two or three decades? (not saying you're a preterist or anything because I don't know, but I never understood how preterists explain this).
    I don't own preterism/postmillenialism entirely but I think it is partly just the numbers of Christians as I said. The most generous numbers put them as high as two or three billion. Yes, the numbers of practicing Christians in some western (Euro/GB) and westernized (Japan) nations is low or flagging but in third world and more traditional cultures (Africa/Asia/South America) Christianity is exploding, to say nothing of the US and Canada.

I think the more difficult problem is for the premillenialist to explain how the world is spiraling down to the conditions described in the time of sorrow which is compared in some ways to a time like the time of Noah. Even of Sodom and Gomorrah it is said that God would have spared them for only 10 righteous souls. This perspective leads to an exaggerated pessimism and an anticipation of tragedy that I hope is not self fulfilling. jmho.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    As bad as the world may be, I'm not sure I believe that it is getting worse or that it is in the dark and rather terminal state described in Mt 24/Lk 21. I know that numbers and the bare name of Christian don't mean everything but today Christians are certainly not fewer in number or proportion. On the contrary, the message of Christ continues to be very successful across the world and I believe in the power of that message to change the hearts of men. I also believe in the power of a very few righteous to salt the earth and make it palatable for God to endure.

Thinking along these lines reminds me of something in The Lord of the Rings where Gandalf says that Denethor despaired because he looked too long into the seeing stone which only showed the enemies exaggerated and seemingly hopeless version of reality.

Peace.
    I agree that the message of Christ is power to change the hearts of men, but it's a proven fact that people are falling away from the faith in droves, and this is a recent trend maybe in the last two or three decades? (not saying you're a preterist or anything because I don't know, but I never understood how preterists explain this).

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBravo
    replied
    As bad as the world may be, I'm not sure I believe that it is getting worse or that it is in the dark and rather terminal state described in Mt 24/Lk 21. I know that numbers and the bare name of Christian don't mean everything but today Christians are certainly not fewer in number or proportion. On the contrary, the message of Christ continues to be very successful across the world and I believe in the power of that message to change the hearts of men. I also believe in the power of a very few righteous to salt the earth and make it palatable for God to endure.

Thinking along these lines reminds me of something in The Lord of the Rings where Gandalf says that Denethor despaired because he looked too long into the seeing stone which only showed the enemies exaggerated and seemingly hopeless version of reality.

Peace.
    Last edited by AlphaBravo; 12-09-2014, 03:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    As I have thought about it, I think there is a correlation between the change in technology and decrease in empathy. We get bombarded with so much that to handle it, we have to shut down our emotional reaction. If we didn't, we'd be emotional wrecks caring for all that we see and are unable to do anything about.
    Without a doubt technology is creating a cold society by isolating us into a virtual reality away from actual human interaction (I see it everyday in LA like a plague -- people buried in their smart phones, oblivious to their surroundings like virtual zombies). I don't think anyone would debate this fact except those with extreme views in favor of technology (like transhumanists for example). But your point is definitely another good way to look at it.

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    I still go with the recent change in technology as being more of a determining factor. The ability to broadcast conditions all around the world instantly (real-time in some cases) to almost everyone is pretty recent technology. Whether earthquakes are increasing, whether wars are increasing, whether civil strife is increasing can be datable, but it definitely seems like it's getting worse because of our communication technology, and that's what I believe makes it the distinctive factor to that particular generation.
    As I have thought about it, I think there is a correlation between the change in technology and decrease in empathy. We get bombarded with so much that to handle it, we have to shut down our emotional reaction. If we didn't, we'd be emotional wrecks caring for all that we see and are unable to do anything about.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    I still go with the recent change in technology as being more of a determining factor. The ability to broadcast conditions all around the world instantly (real-time in some cases) to almost everyone is pretty recent technology. Whether earthquakes are increasing, whether wars are increasing, whether civil strife is increasing can be datable, but it definitely seems like it's getting worse because of our communication technology, and that's what I believe makes it the distinctive factor to that particular generation.

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    Maybe I'm just having a bad period (I admit I gets the blues from roughly Thanksgiving to the end of January every year). Is the world just getting worse and worse everyday? Its not big leaps but the incremental drips and inches into the sewer. I can't think of anything that's gotten better.

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    True, but the criterion of antichrist John used is one that doesn't believe Christ came in the flesh. This is a hard thing to prove in a person, especially a person you don't know in private. And the expression of Christian faith in a political leader is somewhat automatic in America even if it's just mere lip service.
    I see your point about 2 John.

I disagree about expression of Christian faith. As I think about the elections that were held here, I don't recall any of the candidates making an expression of Christian faith. May have missed it though.

Leave a comment:

• JohnnyP
    replied
    True, but the criterion of antichrist John used is one that doesn't believe Christ came in the flesh. This is a hard thing to prove in a person, especially a person you don't know in private. And the expression of Christian faith in a political leader is somewhat automatic in America even if it's just mere lip service.
    Following the theme I laid out earlier, I think if a world leader doesn't clearly express on some level that Jesus is Messiah/Christ and the King of Israel, and that everyone including Jews and Israelis should acknowledge him as such, that type of silence equates to denial, outer if not inner, which is discussed in 1 John 2:22.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    As John points out, there are both "antichrist" and the "Antichrist." See 2 John 1:7 for an example. I think its perfectly legitimate to refer to someone as an "antichrist" without meaning he or she is the Antichrist.

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    Oh yeah, I forgot. I was being general, but I shouldn't have used "antichrist" as that's not what I was trying to convey. Any president that comes to power in the US will have the spirit of lawlessness at this point. Lawlessness no doubt as both Obama and Bush spit all over the law of the land. The law of the land is just about dead in the US.
    As John points out, there are both "antichrist" and the "Antichrist." See 2 John 1:7 for an example. I think its perfectly legitimate to refer to someone as an "antichrist" without meaning he or she is the Antichrist.

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    I had a pastor in the 90s who was warning about what tax exempt churches would eventually face and that just always stuck with me. It seems logical to me why this will become an eventual problem, especially in light of the heightening clash of political and societal beliefs we're seeing now.
    For awhile around here, an unregistered church pastor had a radio ministry that I could listen to. That's where I got it from. I certainly think he had a point.

Actually I am not sure the government is the biggest threat. I think social shaming like that which got the head of Mozilla to quit is the more likely way of attack plus court cases.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X