Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.

Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why it's important to look for signs of the last days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

My knowledge of Koine Greek doesn't extend far enough to allow certitude - but yours seems a reasonable reading. What is not reasonable is pretending that "this book" extends to all the 66 (or so) books of the Bible.
    I tend to think that it's specifically referring to the prophesies in the "scroll" comprising what we call the Book of Revelation (Or "the Revelation of Jesus Christ to Saint John the Divine ).

Darby - *I* testify to every one who hears the words of the prophecy of this book, If any one shall add to these things, God shall add to him the plagues which are written in this book.

I think it can GENERALLY be applied to the canon, but more specifically to The Revelation.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My knowledge of Koine Greek doesn't extend far enough to allow certitude - but yours seems a reasonable reading. What is not reasonable is pretending that "this book" extends to all the 66 (or so) books of the Bible.
      I think you must first consider the Bible to be one book rather than a collection of separate ones. Likewise you need to project onto the author an understanding of a sacred corpus of Christian writings that probably didn't exist at that point (although there are indication it was starting as seen in II Peter 3:15-16). Still, at the time that John was penned, there was no New Testament and wouldn't be one for a few generations. So yeah, it is rather presumptuous to assume John was referring to say Matthew, Acts, or any other work of the NT outside of Revelation itself.

IOW, Darius is engaging in precisely the sort of adding to Scripture that he accuses others of doing.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I tend to think that it's specifically referring to the prophesies in the "scroll" comprising what we call the Book of Revelation (Or "the Revelation of Jesus Christ to Saint John the Divine ).

Darby - *I* testify to every one who hears the words of the prophecy of this book, If any one shall add to these things, God shall add to him the plagues which are written in this book.

I think it can GENERALLY be applied to the canon, but more specifically to The Revelation.
        That is an alternative that I count viable. It doesn't seem that the Koine Greek would be ambiguous on the point, but it would take a very advanced student of the language to know which it is with certainty.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

That's immediately what came to mind as a misuse of Scripture, but then the Romans 16:17-18 passage came to mind which actually addresses what he was doing.

I haven't dealt with him much at all - is he just an angry individual?
          He does seem to get angry rather easily. I have found that when he's not angry or I can look past the anger, he does have some good things to say.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

He does seem to get angry rather easily. I have found that when he's not angry or I can look past the anger, he does have some good things to say.
            I just have very little tolerance for anybody who declares another Christian "a pretend Christian" --- It is arrogant, judgmental, and almost always uncalled for.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's immediately what came to mind as a misuse of Scripture, but then the Romans 16:17-18 passage came to mind which actually addresses what he was doing.

I haven't dealt with him much at all - is he just an angry individual?
              Well he certainly isn't using "smooth talk and flattery"

Comment

We got "Christians" debating on whether or not we have the right to add to Scripture and then lecturing me about how I shouldn't cause division with other "Christians".

Let me know if you want me to stop cluttering your thread, sean, but God bless you for trying to warn these whitewashed tombs.

Comment

Originally posted by Darfius View Post
                  We got "Christians" debating on whether or not we have the right to add to Scripture and then lecturing me about how I shouldn't cause division with other "Christians". .
                  And a self-righteous pot calling the kettle black.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Wow. Do you ever listen to yourself? The little wink emoji at the end does nothing to take away from you sounding like a complete jerk.
                    Kinda of like punching someone in the face and saying "just kidding!"
                    I thought me and CP had a moment of reconciliation after that, yet you come in and seem to want to stir stuff again.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Darfius is a great example of why we shouldn't be overly concerned with looking for signs of the end-times and just live our lives as good Christians, doing what Jesus told us we should be doing all along.
                    We futurists are doing what Jesus instructed us to do. That's what this whole thread is about.

Comment

Originally posted by Darfius View Post
                      We got "Christians" debating on whether or not we have the right to add to Scripture and then lecturing me about how I shouldn't cause division with other "Christians".
                      Absolutely false. NOBODY is debating any such thing.

Let me know if you want me to stop cluttering your thread, sean, but God bless you for trying to warn these whitewashed tombs.
                      And now the little Doofius thinks he's Jesus.

Comment

Absolutely false. NOBODY is debating any such thing.

And now the little Doofius thinks he's Jesus.
                        Well - I did tell him that the canon is not closed. He might have decided that was an excuse for the accusation.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Well - I did tell him that the canon is not closed. He might have decided that was an excuse for the accusation.
                          Ah, THAT!!! OK, so maybe I can still go to Heaven, but you're toast?

Comment

IIRC, what you actually said was that the closed canon dogma can't be explicitly found *in* the canon (Scripture) itself.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

IIRC, what you actually said was that the closed canon dogma can't be explicitly found *in* the canon (Scripture) itself.
                              Far be it from me that I should ever use the word "dogma."

Rats! I just used it!
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Far be it from me that I should ever use the word "dogma."

Rats! I just used it!
                                But you weren't dogmatic about it.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X