Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.

Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why it's important to look for signs of the last days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why it's important to look for signs of the last days

Simply put, because it's scriptural.

Often we hear the argument today that goes something like this: "We shouldn't be concerned about the last days; we should always be prepared for the Lord's return regardless."

I don't dispute the latter (though it's a bit of a strawman argument), the former is not scriptural. There are three situations I recall from scripture where Jesus and the apostles addressed the last days. Jesus (Matthew 24), Paul (2 Thess 2), and John (1 John 2:18) all addressed this issue, and none of them rebutted it with the argument above.

In fact, to the contrary, Jesus instructed them directly to "know" the signs and the seasons. So to say we shouldn't be concerned about the signs is not only not based on scripture, but contrary to scripture; the instructions of the Lord himself to be exact.

Now He was questioned by the Pharisees as to when the kingdom of God was coming, and He answered them and said, “The kingdom of God is not coming with signs that can be observed; nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or, ‘There it is!’ For behold, the kingdom of God is in your midst.” (Luke 17:20-21)
    When I Survey....

Comment

Generally, the problem with a "looking for signs" is that it's so easy to be wrong.

Not saying you're doing this, but I know people who got so involved with looking for signs that they fit the category "so heavenly minded they're no earthly good".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Scripture Verse: Matthew 16

1 Then the Pharisees and Sadducees came and tested Jesus by asking Him to show them a sign from heaven.

2 But He replied, “When evening comes, you say, ‘The weather will be fair, for the sky is red,’ 3 and in the morning, ‘Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but not the signs of the times. 4 A wicked and adulterous generation demands a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.” Then He left them and went away.

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Generally, the problem with a "looking for signs" is that it's so easy to be wrong.

Not saying you're doing this, but I know people who got so involved with looking for signs that they fit the category "so heavenly minded they're no earthly good".
          Sure, but I never said there wouldn't be inevitable issues about it, but that's beside the point. Looking for signs is scriptural. Saying we shouldn't look for signs is unscriptural.

Scripture Verse: Matthew 16

1 Then the Pharisees and Sadducees came and tested Jesus by asking Him to show them a sign from heaven.

2 But He replied, “When evening comes, you say, ‘The weather will be fair, for the sky is red,’ 3 and in the morning, ‘Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but not the signs of the times. 4 A wicked and adulterous generation demands a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.” Then He left them and went away.

© Copyright Original Source

Come on, CP, you can do better than that. That has nothing to with your argument. In fact, it actually rebuts your argument.

Comment

Let's start with Matt 24 --- where, specifically, does it tell us to look for signs? What sign are you looking for, and what are you to do about it?

Comment

Let's start with Matt 24 --- where, specifically, does it tell us to look for signs? What sign are you looking for, and what are you to do about it?
              You know exactly what I'm talking about. Know the "seasons," know when he's "at the door." The very questions the disciples ask him before he gave those signs, and the signs he gave as indicators. The whole point of Matthew 24 debunks your argument. If Jesus didn't want us looking for signs, he would have stated that from the get-go.

Comment

We've been in the "Last Days" since the Church's first Pentecost.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                  We've been in the "Last Days" since the Church's first Pentecost.
                  I actually agree with you. "A thousand years is as a day to the Lord" indicates it's only been two days since then.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

You know exactly what I'm talking about. Know the "seasons," know when he's "at the door." The very questions the disciples ask him before he gave those signs, and the signs he gave as indicators. The whole point of Matthew 24 debunks your argument. If Jesus didn't want us looking for signs, he would have stated that from the get-go.
                    Sean, I didn't come here with an "argument" - I was fully prepared to talk this out, but you seem more interested in doing battle.

I'll show myself out.

Comment

Mat 24:6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come.
                      Mat 24:7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places.
                      Mat 24:8 All these are the beginning of birth pains.

Matthew 24 doesn't seem to hold much by way of instruction to spend time considering the end times.

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Sean, I didn't come here with an "argument" - I was fully prepared to talk this out, but you seem more interested in doing battle.

I'll show myself out.
                        It's how I debate. We've debated before so you know how I debate. If don't want to debate it, that's fine. It just shows you likely realize you're wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                          Mat 24:6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come.
                          Mat 24:7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places.
                          Mat 24:8 All these are the beginning of birth pains.

Matthew 24 doesn't seem to hold much by way of instruction to spend time considering the end times.

Are you serious? How about the rest of Matthew 24?

Try Matthew 24:32?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            It's how I debate. We've debated before so you know how I debate. If don't want to debate it, that's fine. It just shows you likely realize you're wrong.
                            No, Sean, I get tired of Christians battling Christians, and treating each other like the enemy.

Comment

No, Sean, I get tired of Christians battling Christians, and treating each other like the enemy.
                              You do it all the time in civics.

You just needed an excuse to crawl out with your tail tucked because you realize you're wrong.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X