Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.

Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Are We Approaching The End Times?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

How bout "the Day of the Lord"?
    Actually, I think that's where the pretrib and posttrib rapture issue gets confused. But that's a whole other issue.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      I don't think think there's a Christian in the world right now, regardless of what eschatological view they hold, who won't admit that there is something highly unusual happening in the world right now that they can't explain.

When I Survey....

Comment

I don't think think there's a Christian in the world right now, regardless of what eschatological view they hold, who won't admit that there is something highly unusual happening in the world right now that they can't explain.

With that said, personally, I believe we're definitely in the last days, but I've believed that for some time, before any of this stuff started happening. What convinced me is our communication technology, which was never before possible to any previous generation.
        Agreed with you that even if Christ isn't about to return, we are in different times than say 50 years ago.

And certainly our communication technology explains how Revelation 11:9 is possible. I'm sure that verse was a lot more puzzling 100 or more years ago.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Agreed with you that even if Christ isn't about to return, we are in different times than say 50 years ago.

And certainly our communication technology explains how Revelation 11:9 is possible. I'm sure that verse was a lot more puzzling 100 or more years ago.
          That's what I believe futurists should focus on to prove their case, not the events themselves, because the events he describes (Matthew 24:6-8) have always happened throughout the history of mankind -- were happening during Jesus' ministry, before his ministry, and after his ministry.

Comment

I think that would be me. I believe there are really weird things going on - even evil things - but I can explain it, I believe, by the prince of the power of the air having control over (particularly in our Country) politicians, big corporations, big tech...

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I wonder if Christians in the 1920's thought they were in the last days after the Great War and then Short Wave Radio was invented?
              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post

I wonder if Christians in the 1920's thought they were in the last days after the Great War and then Short Wave Radio was invented?
                Yup - I had heard stories from people from that era that it wasn't just "the Great War", but the SECOND Great War --- that it seemed like the world was hanging by a thread and the end truly was nigh.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

A person in Russia can access the same information (even reatime events) that a person in the US can access, at the exact same time and in the exact same way. They don't even need a special broadcasting network to do it. Anyone with a cellphone and an internet connection can broadcast it. Even the invention of the television doesn't compare to the internet today in regards to access of realtime information to anyone around the world at any time.

Comment

A person in Russia can access the same information (even reatime events) that a person in the US can access, at the exact same time and in the exact same way. They don't even need a special broadcasting network to do it. Anyone with a cellphone and an internet connection can broadcast it. Even the invention of the television doesn't compare to the internet today in regards to access of realtime information to anyone around the world at any time.
                    There is no doubt that the internet, in particular, seems to me to be something that was missing in the past. Yeah, that sudden global access to information.

Comment

That's what I believe futurists should focus on to prove their case, not the events themselves, because the events he describes (Matthew 24:6-8) have always happened throughout the history of mankind -- were happening during Jesus' ministry, before his ministry, and after his ministry.
                      You have a point but I think focusing exclusively on technology may cause you to miss something. There have always been words like selfish, self-absorbed, etc. in the dictionary. However recently, the word "selfie" has come into existence because of of technology and a whole industry focused on promoting that behavior. Maybe it's the development of our technology that is setting up the last days when man thinks he's so smart he doesn't need God.

By the way, does this make Mark Zuckerberg an "anti-Christ"? (No, not The Anti-Christ but a type.)
                      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

But not in China with their Great Firewall and complicit technology that censor the information shown on the Chinese internet.

Comment

I think every age has had Christians who that they were in the last days. I wouldn't be surprised if during the Civil War/War of Northern Aggression that Christians thought the end was near. It's hard for me to think of a period in history that was quiet enough to not have people thinking that.

Comment

Several "Christians" quoting unbelievers in Scripture and being unaware of it might be comical if it weren't an incredibly sad commentary on the state of "the church" in these last days:

Scripture Verse: 2 Peter 3

3 Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4 They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.” 5 But they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens came into being and the earth was formed out of water and by water. 6 By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. 7 By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.

8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

© Copyright Original Source

"following their own evil desires"...."deliberately forget"...these are willful disobedience and therefore blindness to the times, which is why I continually seem "mean" when I am trying to correct in love. You can't discern the times because you don't want to. You're fat and happy and would rather eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.

It does not follow logically that because other generations thought they were in the last days that therefore we are not now in the last days. It doesn't even suggest it. All that matters is whether the signs exist or not and they do, primarily the reformation of Israel, which was the blooming of the fig tree "other generations" did not possess.

Comment

But not in China with their Great Firewall and complicit technology that censor the information shown on the Chinese internet.
                              That wasn't really my point, but based on my limited knowledge, chinese aren't totally blocked from accessing the internet, just certain content. But, though it may not be easy, there are certain workarounds even the things that are censored.

Comment

During WW2 Hitler was believed to be the Antichrist and he actually fit pretty well: Trying to take over the world, persecuting and killing the Jews, putting himself in place of God, fooled many people and was highly popular, etc.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X