Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.

Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Are We Approaching The End Times?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Littlejoe
    replied
    Originally posted by seanD View Post

It underscores Jesus' "you will hear" these things happening (Matthew 24:6-8). The events themselves have no significance to any generation, including the generation Jesus was addressing because the events he describes were occurring even during and had occurred before Jesus spoke about it. There were always wars. There were always rumors of wars. There were always famines. There were always pestilences. There were always earthquakes (heck, there was an earthquake right when Jesus died on the cross). How we hear these things is the only thing about that passage that makes our generation unique than all others generations previous.
    Ah! Ok...but, Jesus was talking specifically to the Disciples in private, in answer to their questions. Why do you think Jesus was addressing us and not them?

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post

While you are 100% right about the 1st sentence, the boldened part isn't 100% true. I would say a cellphone accessing a Cell tower IS a special broadcasting network and it can be taken down very easily if the powers that be want to. Television with the CNN's etc. still rival the internet but I agree the depth of the available info is greater on the internet.

What significance to you place on the increased communications ability?
    It underscores Jesus' "you will hear" these things happening (Matthew 24:6-8). The events themselves have no significance to any generation, including the generation Jesus was addressing because the events he describes were occurring even during and had occurred before Jesus spoke about it. There were always wars. There were always rumors of wars. There were always famines. There were always pestilences. There were always earthquakes (heck, there was an earthquake right when Jesus died on the cross). How we hear these things is the only thing about that passage that makes our generation unique than all others generations previous.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Keep a window or skylight open too so you don't get stuck on the ceiling if the rapture happens while you are inside!
    I have a hard head - I think I'll just crash on through.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    When I take a shower, I always keep a towel within arm's reach just in case.
    Keep a window or skylight open too so you don't get stuck on the ceiling if the rapture happens while you are inside!

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    When I take a shower, I always keep a towel within arm's reach just in case.

Leave a comment:

• Littlejoe
    replied
    Originally posted by seanD View Post

A person in Russia can access the same information (even reatime events) that a person in the US can access, at the exact same time and in the exact same way. They don't even need a special broadcasting network to do it. Anyone with a cellphone and an internet connection can broadcast it. Even the invention of the television doesn't compare to the internet today in regards to access of realtime information to anyone around the world at any time.
    While you are 100% right about the 1st sentence, the boldened part isn't 100% true. I would say a cellphone accessing a Cell tower IS a special broadcasting network and it can be taken down very easily if the powers that be want to. Television with the CNN's etc. still rival the internet but I agree the depth of the available info is greater on the internet.

What significance to you place on the increased communications ability?

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    But He's still not telling us.
    He'd make a formidable poker player

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Provocative episode. Religious freedom, medical overreach, role of government.
    And was first aired in April 1994. There really is "nothing new under the sun."

Leave a comment:

• NorrinRadd
    replied
    Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Thankee - I will make sure to watch it.
    Provocative episode. Religious freedom, medical overreach, role of government.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Absolutely agree.
    Me too also.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

23:37:22!!!
    and counting.

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post

He didn't know. He does now.
    But He's still not telling us.

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    Originally posted by Faber View Post

How long is a generation? Twenty years? Maybe forty years? He might not return for another forty thousand years!
    Agreed, He may not come for another forty thousand years or a billion years (the estimated time until the sun goes red giant and swallows the earth) or even 5 billion years (the estimated time until the universe dies). Or it is still possible He could come later today. The not knowing is what makes this such an interesting topic.

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Yup. Either extreme is wrong. We should neither obsess over it nor ignore it.

The only difficulty that I see is that often the teaching morphs into obsession.
    I agree. And this seems to be the area of theology that most likely makes someone obsessed.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

I agree with you when people can get over obsessed with eschatology.

Unfortunately we also have the flip side which is totally ignoring the subject which may indicate someone is drifting away from the faith.

Like most subjects in Christianity, it needs to be taught but not obsessed over.
    Yup. Either extreme is wrong. We should neither obsess over it nor ignore it.

The only difficulty that I see is that often the teaching morphs into obsession.

Leave a comment: