Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Derail thread on Mary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leonhard
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    Pope John Paul certainly was enthralled with Mary.
    Its hard to be a Catholic and not be enthralled by her. However the positions on the Virgin Mary, of her being coredemptrix and coremediatrix, aren't dogma and weren't defined to be so by St John Paul II.

They don't bind on anyones conscience, so I don't need to defend them in a discussion on infallibility of the pope and the magisterium.

Leave a comment:

• Leonhard
    replied
    Ok, then, let's go here.

Please explain what Catholics mean when they call Mary the mother of God.
    Its not really controversial. Any mother does atleast two things to her son: after he comes into being in her womb, she carries him to term inside her and delivers him.

Christians agreed fairly early that Christ was fully man and fully God.

She's therefore Theotokos (The God Bearer) also called Mother of God. Because what she carried inside her womb, while fully human was also fully God.

Beyond that she dutifully raised Jesus from His infancy until his mission. Along with St Joseph, His guardian father.

And she is the source of his humanity (typically along with the father, though since Jesus was conceived by becoming incarnate without the aid of Joseph, the Virgin Mary is the sole material cause of Jesus humanity). He took it materially from her.

God is of couse in the end the ultimate course of anything. This is not denied here.

No Catholic or Eastern Orthodox has ever asserted, nor has this even been held by the uneducated people in old days, that the Virgin Mary was the source of Christ's Divine nature.

But if one denies that the Virgin Mary was Mother of God, one would also implicitly deny that Jesus was God.

Its not even possible to say that the Virgin Mary only carried the humanity of Jesus. Because that would imply that Jesus was merely human at one point and later became God as well. Or might also imply the heresy of Christ not being God while crucified.

So for these reasons, and others, all Christians should honour the Virgin Mary by calling her Mother of God.
    Last edited by Leonhard; 04-09-2015, 08:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    There is no infallible statement on this. Though personally I don't see the problem with this (as its not a doctrine and dogma of the Church I won't defend it though, you're free to believe against it).
    Pope John Paul certainly was enthralled with Mary.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Which part of it? I've seen some protestants claim that its wrong to call the Virgin Mary the Mother of God, not realizing what that would imply about Jesus and His Divinity.
    Ok, then, let's go here.

Please explain what Catholics mean when they call Mary the mother of God.

Leave a comment:

• Leonhard
    replied
    We can start with co-redemptrix.
    There is no infallible statement on this. Though personally I don't see the problem with this (as its not a doctrine and dogma of the Church I won't defend it though, you're free to believe against it).

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Which part of it? I've seen some protestants claim that its wrong to call the Virgin Mary the Mother of God, not realizing what that would imply about Jesus and His Divinity.

We can start with co-redemptrix.

Leave a comment:

• Leonhard
    replied
    That error would include Mariology...........right?

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    And the fact that, despite the utter scumbags (and occasionally actual heretics) that have been popes, the Holy Spirit has miraculously preserved the papacy from officially teaching error.
    That error would include Mariology...........right?

Leave a comment:

• Leonhard
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Depending on your definition of "officially" (and pretending, for the moment, that the filioque is not error).
    The filioque is for fraternal discussion between Catholics and the Eastern Orthodox. I'm not even sure we're in real disagreement about it. Depends entirely on what 'proceeds from' means.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    And the fact that, despite the utter scumbags (and occasionally actual heretics) that have been popes, the Holy Spirit has miraculously preserved the papacy from officially teaching error.
    Depending on your definition of "officially" (and pretending, for the moment, that the filioque is not error).

Leave a comment:

• Spartacus
    started a topic Derail thread on Mary

Derail thread on Mary

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    There have been renegade popes in the past.

Its ok, It was just a hypothetical I thought of.
widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X