Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

It Doesn't Believe Anymore - Which is Sad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Doesn't Believe Anymore - Which is Sad

I grew up in PC(USA). About my first thirty years as a Christian were in PC(USA) churches.

It just makes me so sad to see what was once such a God honoring denomination go into apostasy. I will just have to grieve the loss and move on. From now on, no more watching the train wreck.

It wasn't the gay marriage decision that finished me. It was this post by a PC(USA) minister saying he could be a minister and not believe in God.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...ieve-in-god-2/

What really got me? From I've seen of recent PC(USA) polity, I don't think you could get this gentleman stripped of his ministerial credentials in PC(USA) church court. Now PC(USA) tolerates leaders who don't believe in God.

They did great things but they're gone. Now they demonstrate 2 Timothy 3:5 "having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people."

Sad that I leave so much that was so beneficial behind but it must be done. No more PC(USA) posts for me.

Moving on...
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

"I don’t appreciate being told that I’m not truly a Christian."' ....
    "We all have been trained to think that Christianity is about believing things."

Yes. By Jesus. And the Apostles.

Belief-less Christianity is thriving right now,

Instead of traditional beliefs, they emphasize social justice,

...a powerful articulation of her social justice commitments in which she added that she didn’t believe in God. The congregation enthusiastically welcomed her, of course.

...I utilize the symbol “God”

the symbol “God” is part of our cultural tradition, you can take it or leave it or redefine it to your liking.

Again.. these screwtape letters write themselves
    Last edited by hamster; 03-29-2015, 01:16 PM.
    "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Maybe he's trying to push even more people out of the sinking ship that is the SS PCUSA.

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
        Yes. By Jesus. And the Apostles.

Again.. these screwtape letters write themselves
        C. S. Lewis reference?
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          C. S. Lewis reference?
          Yes.
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

A wise choice TM.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I agree with Bill, but it is still sad to see an entire denomination go down in flames. Sadder still for those who must abandon a sinking but once beloved ship.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Huh
                sorry bout that. That being said, here are some of my experiences with the Presbyterian church.

The Presbyterian church in my country is a bit weird. For instance, I heard a pastor talking about the 'holy Quran'!!!

I also went to a Presbyterian high school and they often encouraged people to pray to their own god and then said that their own god would answer them. (Keep in mind that a large part of the school was Hindu and some were Muslim).

So yeah, they were 'a bit' liberal.
                That's my experience with the Presbyterian church.
                -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
                Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
                Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
                  Huh
                  sorry bout that. That being said, here are some of my experiences with the Presbyterian church.

The Presbyterian church in my country is a bit weird. For instance, I heard a pastor talking about the 'holy Quran'!!!

I also went to a Presbyterian high school and they often encouraged people to pray to their own god and then said that their own god would answer them. (Keep in mind that a large part of the school was Hindu and some were Muslim).

So yeah, they were 'a bit' liberal.
                  That's my experience with the Presbyterian church.
                  Not all Presbyterians are liberal... not even all PCUSA are liberal. However, those who aren't are generally looking for a way out.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    Not all Presbyterians are liberal... not even all PCUSA are liberal. However, those who aren't are generally looking for a way out.
                    Yeah I woulda guessed some weren't that liberal. It's a good thing that they are leaving. A bit sad though.
                    -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
                    Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
                    Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

What a sad slide in a once Proud God fearing denomination....
                      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                        It was this post by a PC(USA) minister saying he could be a minister and not believe in God.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...ieve-in-god-2/

What really got me? From I've seen of recent PC(USA) polity, I don't think you could get this gentleman stripped of his ministerial credentials in PC(USA) church court. Now PC(USA) tolerates leaders who don't believe in God.
                        I have been thinking about what the poster said about not believing in God while claiming to be a Christian.

Do you think he has committed the Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit or just come dangerously close?

I'm undecided but leaning to dangerously close. Thoughts?
                        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

I have been thinking about what the poster said about not believing in God while claiming to be a Christian.

Do you think he has committed the Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit or just come dangerously close?

My question is would Jesus facepalm at the stupidity of the guy?
                          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

My opinion? I think he is dangerously close, but I think it's completed when you die.
                            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                              My opinion? I think he is dangerously close, but I think it's completed when you die.
                              That.
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X