Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Salvation for non-Catholic Christians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salvation for non-Catholic Christians

I found this interesting blog post.

I'm wondering a couple things:

1. Does this accurately reflect RCC doctrine? In my extremely limited readings on the subject, I've seen some division on the topic of salvation outside the RCC.

2. If so, what is "sufficient accurate knowledge of Catholicism," and can this be determined?

3. For example, now that I, a Protestant, have read that blog post, am I no longer a Christian until I convert to Roman Catholicism? (i.e., "So if the Protestant or Orthodox Christian does not realize that he should convert, then it is not an actual mortal sin, and he or she can be saved without converting to Catholicism.")

4. Am I correct in understanding this to be basically saying that once a certain level of knowledge of Catholicism is reached, a Christian can no longer remain non-Catholic without losing his salvation, period?
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Sounds like the Catholic version of Jack Chick to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Sounds like the Catholic version of Jack Chick to me.
      I suppose I'm curious, then, what the RCC position is on salvation outside of the Catholic church. I've heard some conflicting views.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        I found this interesting blog post.

I'm wondering a couple things:

1. Does this accurately reflect RCC doctrine? In my extremely limited readings on the subject, I've seen some division on the topic of salvation outside the RCC.

2. If so, what is "sufficient accurate knowledge of Catholicism," and can this be determined?

3. For example, now that I, a Protestant, have read that blog post, am I no longer a Christian until I convert to Roman Catholicism? (i.e., "So if the Protestant or Orthodox Christian does not realize that he should convert, then it is not an actual mortal sin, and he or she can be saved without converting to Catholicism.")

4. Am I correct in understanding this to be basically saying that once a certain level of knowledge of Catholicism is reached, a Christian can no longer remain non-Catholic without losing his salvation, period?
        It would seem to be quite a weird position to hold, because it would imply that the smart thing to do would be to refrain from studying Catholicism altogether. I mean, why study it if you could potentially lose your soul over it? If that's the case then the best thing to do would be to continue on in a (quite literally) blessed state of ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
          It would seem to be quite a weird position to hold, because it would imply that the smart thing to do would be to refrain from studying Catholicism altogether. I mean, why study it if you could potentially lose your soul over it? If that's the case then the best thing to do would be to continue on in a (quite literally) blessed state of ignorance.
          I've seen the position put forth elsewhere, that salvation can only come through the Catholic church, but that some people can be considered implicitly a member by virtue of ignorance (I think I'm getting that right).

Comment

That seems sort of like the idea (based on the assumption that those who have never heard of the gospel will not be damned on that basis) of not evangelizing to unreached people.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Does anyone have any info on official RCC doctrine on this point?

I saw a Catholic (not on tweb) speak quite strongly about how blasphemous Protestantism was. I want to know what the official RCC statement about Protestantism and salvation is.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                That seems sort of like the idea (based on the assumption that those who have never heard of the gospel will not be damned on that basis) of not evangelizing to unreached people.

Comment

I saw a Catholic (not on tweb) speak quite strongly about how blasphemous Protestantism was. I want to know what the official RCC statement about Protestantism and salvation is.
                  There are some Catholics who totally reject the Second Vatican Council as giving in to Protestantism too much and have broken off from that point on. I wonder if the person you saw is one of those.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    Sort of like "We have the good news of salvation, but we won't tell it to anyone, because if they don't accept it they might go to hell"?

Comment

Sort of like "We have the good news of salvation, but we won't tell it to anyone, because if they don't accept it they might go to hell"?
                      Yep.

Comment

I suppose I'm curious, then, what the RCC position is on salvation outside of the Catholic church. I've heard some conflicting views.
                        During/after Vatican II previous claims of extra ecclesiam nulla salus was 'harmonised' with the modern view, though naturally many Catholics still resist the change.

Comment

Google.

Comment

I googled google googling google and broke the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              I googled google googling google and broke the internet.
                              that explains the tweb 500 errors

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X