Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Question for church-goin Christians...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for church-goin Christians...

If you are a Christian, is it mandatory that you "go to church"? If so, is there Biblical evidence to support such a precedent?

To some this question might seem sophomoric, but I think it is a legitimate query... being that modern Christendom seems to put so much weight on this issue.

Disclosure: I am not against the Ekklesia meeting together on regular basis.

Thank you--in advance--for any replies.

-Steven

Originally posted by Steven View Post
    If you are a Christian, is it mandatory that you "go to church"? If so, is there Biblical evidence to support such a precedent?

To some this question might seem sophomoric, but I think it is a legitimate query... being that modern Christendom seems to put so much weight on this issue.

Disclosure: I am not against the Ekklesia meeting together on regular basis.

Thank you--in advance--for any replies.

-Steven
    The typical passage I've seen to support this argument is:

"24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching." Heb. 10:24-25 (NKJV)
    "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Here's hoping this won't devolve into the usual deontological binary of "either it is forbidden/compulsory, or it doesn't matter what you choose".
      Last edited by Paprika; 01-31-2015, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Myth, I agree. This is the Scripture that is most often quoted. Assuming Paul's the author of Hebrews--without starting a side-shoot dispute--I believe Paul is setting up a precedent that it is the Church's responsibility to meet together on a regular basis, with the emphasis on the Brethren (as set in context of verse 19):

Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
        However, this particular passage out of Hebrews doesn't really fit the mold of modern christendom's church-going traditions, i. e. going to a building, timed services, tithing, sitting, standing, rock worship, rolling down the aisles, etc.

- Steven

Comment

Paprika - hopefully not.

Comment

However, this particular passage out of Hebrews doesn't really fit the mold of modern christendom's church-going traditions, i. e. going to a building, timed services, tithing, sitting, standing, rock worship, rolling down the aisles, etc.

- Steven
            So? Synagogues were buildings, had timed services, collected tithes, had sitting and standing (and even some reclining), and some Psalm singing (which some can be traced to non-Hebrew societies). And very few churches have "rolling down the aisle", so not sure why you included that...
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

- Steven
              But all things should be done decently and in order.

(1 Cor 14:40)
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Myth, I agree. This is the Scripture that is most often quoted. Assuming Paul's the author of Hebrews--without starting a side-shoot dispute--I believe Paul is setting up a precedent that it is the Church's responsibility to meet together on a regular basis, with the emphasis on the Brethren (as set in context of verse 19):

- Steven
                As far as I can tell, if you meet regularly with other Christians for purpose described in Hebrews, the venue and order of service doesn't matter so much. I don't see it as a requirement to have a specific type of service.
                "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                  As far as I can tell, if you meet regularly with other Christians for purpose described in Hebrews, the venue and order of service doesn't matter so much. I don't see it as a requirement to have a specific type of service.
                  We have an African-American mission church - their style of worship is TOTALLY different from ours, and they reach a totally different demographic -- but they're beloved brothers and sisters in Christ, and we work together on things outside of "Sunday Morning".
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I do not see the initial question being answered so far. I do not see "church going" as a mandated behavior. On the other hand I believe that "born again" Christians will feel the need or urge to meet together for worship. If you "go to church" because you think it is required - to get into heaven, or for any other reason - you are really missing out. The Hebrews 10:25 verse does not set up a requirement, but rather points to the extreme value to those present of such a meeting together.

Forgive the derail, but if there is anyone who can not be considered as author of Hebrews, it would be Paul.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Jedidiah - Ah the great Paul of Hebrews debate, but moving from that one... thank you for addressing the post.

It seems to me that there's a large number of protestants who feel very strongly about the importance of church attendance, almost using it as a form of 'absolution' and the protestant church seems willing to play on this guilt for the sake of revenue. And don't get me started on the Catholic viewpoint on this issue... lol

Comment

Follow up question to original: how does one "go to church"?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          I do not see the initial question being answered so far. I do not see "church going" as a mandated behavior. On the other hand I believe that "born again" Christians will feel the need or urge to meet together for worship. If you "go to church" because you think it is required - to get into heaven, or for any other reason - you are really missing out. The Hebrews 10:25 verse does not set up a requirement, but rather points to the extreme value to those present of such a meeting together.

Forgive the derail, but if there is anyone who can not be considered as author of Hebrews, it would be Paul.
                          I didn't think we'd end up arguing over exactly what 'mandated' meant.

But I think we would both agree that there are enough other verses describing how Christians, together as part of the body of Christ, should act. To intentionally alienate oneself from other Christians would be to err in the sense that one would not be practicing their faith in the manner described in the Bible.

If necessary to continue this discussion, I suppose I could look those other verses (which reference or describe Christian fellowship) up.
                          Last edited by myth; 01-31-2015, 04:59 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Let me ask a different question; why would a Christian not want to be in fellowship with other Christians (even if this takes a different form than traditional church services?)
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

It seems to me that there's a large number of protestants who feel very strongly about the importance of church attendance,
                              The thread title implied you were asking about Christians, not protestants.

almost using it as a form of 'absolution' and the protestant church seems willing to play on this guilt for the sake of revenue.
                              Ah, so this was NOT a sincere question, but a pretense for a battle. Honestly, I'm disappointed.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X