Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Question for church-goin Christians...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not a church if people don't prophesy and are corrected or supported.

The issue of skipping church reminds me of a conversation I had with my pastor about the trend in people attending church and comparing what the preacher says with what scholars like Francis Chan and N. T. Wright teach. He tells (he's pretty fair, and frank!) me that some churches are trying to fix the problem of outdated preaching with video sermons by established and well respected scholars.

Why do medical practitioners resent patients who are internet savvy about their illness or new research in medicine? - Quora

On many occasions where a doctor is having difficulty in diagnosis and treatment of a condition, the clue is easily found by browsing the internet making sure the information is collated from valid websites. This research must be carefully analyzed before investigating ideas offered for ways of diagnosis and recommended forms of treatment. I have had a suburban Ophthalmologist create surgically induced Glaucoma in one eye with 75% loss of sight just because he hadn't researched readily available information from his professional peers concerning fragments of the old lens falling into the back of the eye during cataract surgery. Also when I was extremely ill and saw a family GP, he told me to go home assuming I was on drugs. It turned out a learned friend who had researched various drugs associated with Downs-syndrome children and adults realized I was suffering Lithium Toxicity a life-threatening condition. Since then I have always researched medicines (like Valproic Acid) and symptoms (like radicular pain caused by pressure on a nerve) and have correctly diagnosed my problem and found info on its treatment. This leads to another Question: Why don't Doctors keep up to date on medical developments like us lay sufferers?
    Last edited by footwasher; 02-02-2015, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Okay, let's say I've been browbeaten into going to church, which is the correct day?

Sunday, Saturday... or Friday sundown to Saturday sundown, or until the three stars are visible?

Is showing up for Christmas and Easter "good enough" or, would I need to supplement with a Wednesday night meeting, featuring a puppet interpretation of the Left Behind series?

Comment

Originally posted by Steven View Post
        Okay, let's say I've been browbeaten into going to church, which is the correct day?

Sunday, Saturday... or Friday sundown to Saturday sundown, or until the three stars are visible?

Is showing up for Christmas and Easter "good enough" or, would I need to supplement with a Wednesday night meeting, featuring a puppet interpretation of the Left Behind series?
        It would be a waste of time. Your attitude stinks.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Why would any real Christian not want to get together to worship with other believers? Sorry, it boggles my mind, Steven. Where are you coming from?
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Here's the original thread post:

If you are a Christian, is it mandatory that you "go to church"? If so, is there Biblical evidence to support such a precedent?
            To some this question might seem sophomoric, but I think it is a legitimate query... being that modern Christendom seems to put so much weight on this issue.
            Disclosure: I am not against the Ekklesia meeting together on regular basis.
            Can you prove from the Scriptures that one must "go to church"?

Comment

Actually, the event that most resembles the New Testament church would be the midweek Bible study.

Lesson

Go to church because you need to know what God requires from you

The best version of church is the one where when one assembles, one has a psalm, another a tongue and yet another a prophecy, but also where there is order:

1 Corinthians 14:26What is the outcome then, brethren? When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. 27If anyone speaks in a tongue, it should be by two or at the most three, and each in turn, and one must interpret; 28but if there is no interpreter, he must keep silent in the church; and let him speak to himself and to God. 29Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others pass judgment. 30But if a revelation is made to another who is seated, the first one must keep silent. 31For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all may be exhorted; 32and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets; 33for God is not a God of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.

34The women are to keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to subject themselves, just as the Law also says. 35If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church. 36Was it from you that the word of God first went forth? Or has it come to you only?

37If anyone thinks he is a prophet or spiritual, let him recognize that the things which I write to you are the Lord’s commandment. 38But if anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized.

39Therefore, my brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak in tongues. 40But all things must be done properly and in an orderly manner.

The event which seems to be closest to the description would be the midweek Bible study.

Comment

If you're only going against your will, it's better to stay home and forget about this whole following Jesus thing.
                In my experience, the people who stridently advocate a specific day are in the extreme minority. Almost everyone else typically meets on Sunday, in commemoration of the Resurrection of Christ. If you're looking to meet with other believers, that's probably the best day. You're free to gather any day of the week you desire, but it helps to coordinate with others.
                You shouldn't be considering this from a legalistic perspective. If you loved someone, would being with them twice a year satisfy you?
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by footwasher View Post
                  Actually, the event that most resembles the New Testament church would be the midweek Bible study.
                  No it doesn't, because the meetings of the New Testament Church centered around the breaking of bread (communion).

Acts 2:46; Acts 20:7; 1 Cor 10:16; 1 Cor 11:17-34.

That rarely happens during a mid-week bible study (for that matter, it seldom happens in many Protestant churches even on Sundays).
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Acts 2:46Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart,

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    No it doesn't, because the meetings of the New Testament Church centered around the breaking of bread (communion).

Acts 2:46; Acts 20:7; 1 Cor 10:16; 1 Cor 11:17-34.

That rarely happens during a mid-week bible study (for that matter, it seldom happens in many Protestant churches even on Sundays).
                    None of the Bible verses you listed teach that bread was shared only on the first day of the week. Quite the opposite is conveyed in Acts 2:46.

And, yes, we have often broken bread at our Bible studies.

Comment

"Breaking bread" was a Jewish custom that started every meal with a blessing. It was not a special event.

http://messianicfellowship.50webs.com/bread.html
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        "Breaking bread" was a Jewish custom that started every meal with a blessing. It was not a special event.

http://messianicfellowship.50webs.com/bread.html
                        Read the verses I posted, in context. The followers of Christ appear to have quickly invested a more significant meaning to the phrase. The history of the church also bears this out; as far back as we are aware, the Christian liturgy centered around the Eucharist (Justin Martyr comes immediately to mind, but there well may be earlier instances I don't recall offhand).

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by footwasher View Post
                          Acts 2:46Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart,

None of the Bible verses you listed teach that bread was shared only on the first day of the week. Quite the opposite is conveyed in Acts 2:46.
                          I never claimed it did - and I don't expect Acts 2:46 to be normative; it was merely the first post-Resurrection mention of the general practice.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Read the verses I posted, in context. The followers of Christ appear to have quickly invested a more significant meaning to the phrase.
                            The meal was a CENTRAL part of a Jewish person's day, when everyone could gather around the table and give thanks to God. It was extremely significant, but a daily event. The Eucharist was a reflection of this Jewish practice as was done by Jesus and the Disciples. Very little in the Last Supper was original.

The history of the church also bears this out; as far back as we are aware, the Christian liturgy centered around the Eucharist (Justin Martyr comes immediately to mind, but there well may be earlier instances I don't recall offhand).
                            I am aware that the liturgy was centered around the breaking of bread and passing of the cup, but again, these were not things that Jesus invented/instituted at the Last Supper, and they had a very specific meaning to Him. And part of that significance to Him was that it was done at every meal where the family gathered. It was not intended to be withheld by the clergy in favor of a specific day or distinct event.
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

When you beg the question of your honesty with the statement "when I've been browbeaten into going to church" I don't feel inclined to explain a thing to you.
                              Last edited by DesertBerean; 02-04-2015, 02:34 PM.
                              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Here's the original thread post:
                                Can you prove from the Scriptures that one must "go to church"?
                                It's a goofy premise -- WHO is claiming that one must "go to church", and what does that entail? As far as I can see, NONE of us are putting emphasis on "going to church" - that's your phrase. One of our posters has Church in their home. Some of us worship (or have worshiped) in house Churches.

I think your biggest problem is attitude and motive.

This reminds me of the question "Can I be a Christian without going to Church", and I always respond with "Sure, can I be married and not live with my wife?" Of course I can, but why would I want to?

We "go to Church" (whatever that entails) because we love the Lord and want to be around His people.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X