Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Question for church-goin Christians...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by footwasher View Post
    You playing the spiritual card. You who couldn't hold a branding iron as hot as Scripture? Care to get into the Word?
    Maybe that sounded better in your head.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Maybe that sounded better in your head.
      Actually, it looks even better in black and white:

Jeremiah 23:29"Is not my word like fire," declares the LORD, "and like a hammer that breaks a
      rock in pieces?
      Last edited by footwasher; 02-10-2015, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=footwasher;157377]
        Cow Poke;157371] Maybe that sounded better in your head. [

/QUOTE]

Actually, it looks even better in black and white:

Jer

"Is not my word like fire," declares the LORD, "and like a hammer that breaks a
        rock in pieces?
        Pride goes before a fall.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• 1 Corinthians 3:10According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it. 11For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work. 14If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. 15If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Make it happen? You don't want to HURT my feelings do you?

Comment

Make it happen? You don't want to HURT my feelings do you?
            You're hurting yourself enough as it is. I'll just stand back and get out of your way.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhrkB_55qaY

Yeah, everybody and his uncle can show that chief eisegete a thing or two:

http://www.premierchristianradio.com...e-Unbelievable

Let's just bury our head in the sand and the new medicine will just go away.
              What do those links have to do with what you've posted? Spell it out for me. You need to provide at least the salient points the links make; I'm not going to make the connections for you.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICHovRHJAYY

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                What do those links have to do with what you've posted? Spell it out for me. You need to provide at least the salient points the links make; I'm not going to make the connections for you.
                Those are clips and podcasts of N. T. Wright quoting Jewish experts and Talmud, explaining the personification of temptation and God's part in using temptation to filter out the loyal from the opportunists. I believe Fee and Morris also hold the same view.

Experiment. Everytime you see satan or serpent mentioned in the text, replace it with that little voice which tempts and rationalises away God's commands. God's advice? Nail those critters dead. Trust and obey, 'cause there's no other way...

I normally quote, but it needs a stop watch and a voice recorder when the content is media clips.
                Last edited by footwasher; 02-11-2015, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/...ism/satan.html

Judaism does not view “Satan” with the same connotation as other religions.

Satan in Judaism is not a physical being ruling the underworld, rather, in the Torah, the word Satan indicates “accuser,” “hinderer” or “tempter.” Satan is therefore more an illusory obstacle in one’s way - such as temptation and evil doings - keeping one from completing the responsibilities of tikkun olam (fixing the world). Satan is the evil inclination to veer off the path of righteousness and faithfulness in God.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Actually, its joy, rather than pride , which I'm experiencing right now.

If I find a restaurant serving great food, my emotion is joy at the fact, and at the same time, sadness that others can't have the same experience.

The sadness also comes when I think about how preconceived ideas prevent people from having that experience, and how hard it is to help people set aside those ideas.

And it's not anger at the status quo I'm expressing now, but simulated contempt, to spark discussion and discovery...
                    Last edited by footwasher; 02-11-2015, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steven View Post
                      Pentecost, The Church is the Lord's. He adds to it as He sees fit. My point was that just because someone goes somewhere, doesn't mean they've actually met with The Church. If we go to work, the work is not in the going, but the work itself, or else we'd get fired. Likewise, The Church is not in the "going"; you are either part of The Church, or you are not. The evidence lies in the fruit, as Jesus the Christ warned us.

Now, I can meet with fellow members of The Church in a home, a warehouse, a diner, park, cafe, etc and have great unity in Christ in our fellowship, but I don't put a lot of weight in the "going"--or on what day--but I do put weight in what I am doing for the Lord.

Here's a true example of The Church meeting together:
                      Ok. That's what everyone here already believes. So please stop being decisive.
                      Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Actually, its joy, rather than pride
                        pride n joy.jpg

Comment

• No issue thus far.
                          This looks like a post-biblical interpretation and thus is in no way normative for Christians.
                          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

If I find a restaurant serving great food, my emotion is joy at the fact, and at the same time, sadness that others can't have the same experience.
                            Aren't you confusing "joy" with "happiness" here? I am pleased with good food, but joy is with me all the time - even in the saddest moments.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              Aren't you confusing "joy" with "happiness" here? I am pleased with good food, but joy is with me all the time - even in the saddest moments.
                              "Happiness" is based on "happenings"

late 14c., "lucky, favored by fortune, prosperous;" of events, "turning out well," from hap (n.) "chance, fortune"

Comment

• Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
                                Ok. That's what everyone here already believes. So please stop being decisive.
                                Can you please clarify?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X