Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

WHY do you go to Church?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHY do you go to Church?

I hear so much complaining about "what I don't get from Church"... not enough depth, "I'm not being fed", "I don't go because it doesn't do anything for me".

Is it POSSIBLE that the reason you SHOULD go is because you have something to GIVE?

Seriously, don't we all have talents, spiritual gifts, abilities, etc.....

"The preacher doesn't teach aplogetics" -- volunteer to teach a Bible Class.

I have never seen such a "what's in it for ME" attitude amongst the brethren..... To me, Church should be like a hospital -- SICK people go there. People who need loved, encouraged, discipled, nurtured, taught. And those of us who have some degree of spiritual maturity can GIVE.

I think if we ever get to the point where we "ask not what my Church can do for me... ask what I can do.....*"

*with apologies to JFK
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I have never seen such a "what's in it for ME" attitude amongst the brethren..... To me, Church should be like a hospital -- SICK people go there. People who need loved, encouraged, discipled, nurtured, taught. And those of us who have some degree of spiritual maturity can GIVE.
    Whenever I don't feel like going to church, I remind myself that the reason I don't feel like going is because I'm spiritually sick and need the medicine that is given there. Being Orthodox that medicine is the Eucharist or Confession.
    "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
    -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

I can say why I don't go to church. The sermons bore me badly. It's just singing and listening to somebody complain about the state of society. But I must admit, I should be there to attempt to teach the flock about the bible so that they don't lose the faith.
      For that reason, I feel guilty.
      -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
      Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
      Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

I'll admit sometimes it's hard for me to get up and go. But my main motivation isn't anything to do with getting anything out of it. It's simply because Hebrews 10:25 commands us to go. In any event, we need to spend time with other Christians and support one another and it's hard to do that if we don't go spend any time with them.

I am not really a fan of the style of contemporary worship music, and that's what is played at our church. But I have to remind myself... this isn't about you, so get over it.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Honestly? I go not because I "feel" like going....but because scripturally and in my head I believe its the right thing to do. I go because I believe somehow in going, I am serving the Lord according to His Word, and I am raising my children to do the same. If I went because I "felt" like it or because I "got" something out of it, (so to speak, I don't believe in going to church to get something I go to serve God) I probably would go rarely or never. Heck if I did only the things I "felt" like doing then I'd be one selfish person.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I just go because I know/feel I'm supposed to, irregardless of whether or not the preaching/singing is my style or not. If there are severe problems with a church (not based on feeling, but logic), I'll switch.

Comment

The priest in my church is probably an atheist or agnostic. My conversation with him years ago left mdisgusted . I went to him at a low point looking for answers. I wrote about it here some time ago. I go to mass sometimes and am thrilled when he's not giving the homily since he is not a genuine person. When he's not there I feel spiritually lifted.Especially when I go with my family

Comment

I go to worship and glorify God.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  I go to worship and glorify God.
                  And I started to write about your situation, but I'll leave that for you to say, or not... please be assured that I believe you really have TRIED to make Church "work", but you didn't just give up! I would really enjoy worshiping with you some day.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

With one notable exception, very good responses, and I appreciate your input.

Comment

I had a commitment to help elderly/handicapped in by pushing their wheelchairs off their buses, then I got caught up in my own stuff and haven't done it in a while. I want to do it again, to be of service to others -- doing that helps me more than I help them.

Comment

Well apart from being on sound or playing bass most Sundays the main reason I go is because I believe it is an essential part of the Christian walk.

We cannot be pursuing fulfilment in God if we are fleeing from His people the whole time.

Will post more later, gotta run now.
                        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          And I started to write about your situation, but I'll leave that for you to say, or not... please be assured that I believe you really have TRIED to make Church "work", but you didn't just give up! I would really enjoy worshiping with you some day.
                          Thank you, I appreciate that.

And you are right. We did not give up on trying to make church "work". We had to make sure we were worshiping correctly. And that involved, for us, separating ourselves from corporate worship for a time.

We have not given up "the assembling together of the saints". We have fellowship with other believers. But we have grown so much this past year. We are worshiping as we believe we are to worship. And we have a peace and joy that we didn't have for so long.

And I value your advice and wisdom through that last hard year while we struggled. I look forward to the day when we will worship together.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I go because I am in need of a Physician.

I go because it is a chance to experience a little bit of heaven on Earth.

Least importantly, I go because I am a cantor, and help lead the congregation in worship.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I must agree with CP. I am disturbed by "I am not being fed," or "I don't get anything out of it." These may not mean that the complainer is bad or wrong. I have good friends who left the body they had been at for years because "I am not being fed." The now attend a different denomination and do serve genuinely. I still think/feel that my feeding comes from the Word. We do have a great young pastor at the church we now attend. He does preach straight from Scripture.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X