Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Vatican 2's Infallibility-Where's the Beef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
    I don't know. I'm pretty sure even modernists affirm the infallibility of dogmatic councils, or if they don't, they certainly do so with the scriptures. Then again, modernism cover a lot of heretical thinking, so I don't know.
    Well that hardly seems fair! If someone is going to be accused of heresy, I would hope they'd at least have a name for this supposed heresy. Maybe it is a brand new heresy (which does not seem likely) or maybe it is not a heresy at all?
    Last edited by robrecht; 09-03-2014, 06:02 PM.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      Well that hardly seems fair! If someone is going to be accused of heresy, I would hope they'd at least have a name for this supposed heresy. Maybe it is a brand new heresy (which does not seem likely) or maybe it is not a heresy at all?
      I'm pretty sure denying the infallibility of the word of God is pretty much the ultimate heresy.
      Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

I'm pretty sure denying the infallibility of the word of God is pretty much the ultimate heresy.
        Is the Word of God the Second Person of the Trinity or words on a page?

Comment

Is the Word of God the Second Person of the Trinity or words on a page?
          The Bible, so yes, I suppose words on a page.
          Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

The Bible, so yes, I suppose words on a page.
            "In the beginning was the Word ... "

Sound familiar? I think the Word of God is the second person of the Trinity. The biblical texts reflect the glory of God but are not God himself.

Comment

"In the beginning was the Word ... "

Sound familiar? I think the Word of God is the second person of the Trinity. The biblical texts reflect the glory of God but are not God himself.
              But they are divinely inspired. As are the dogmatic councils of the Church.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Citation please.
                Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Is a council truly ecumenical, ie, of the whole world, if it is only composed of some representatives of some Christians who are already in union with the bishop of Rome? Is conciliar infallibility merely a function of papal infallibility? Why have a council? Is it more infallible than the pope?
                  Last edited by robrecht; 09-03-2014, 07:15 PM.

Comment

That would depend on a couple of points:
                    1/ Has "the word of God" been properly defined by the person who is calling others heretics? (assuming that "the word" referred to is the Biblical record.)
                    2/ Are the heretical people denying a proper interpretation of the Biblical records in question?
                    maybe other points as well

Also worth remembering - the claim that the Bible is the word of God only arose during the reformation.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...itatis-Humanae

Dignitatis Humanae thread here.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                        Citation please.
                        I need to give you a citation to show that the Bible is divinely inspired?

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

I need to give you a citation to show that the Bible is divinely inspired?
                          To explain the nature of Biblical divine inspiration as it relates to infallibility, inerrancy, etc, as well as to the teaching authority of the Church.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                            To explain the nature of Biblical divine inspiration as it relates to infallibility, inerrancy, etc, as well as to the teaching authority of the Church.
                            It means that the original authors of the books could not error in transmitting the facts.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X