Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Female teachers can teach only female students (wrt theology) apparently.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female teachers can teach only female students (wrt theology) apparently.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/gle...edarville.html

Thoughts?
    -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
    Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
    Sir Isaac Newton

Nonsense
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

An over fundamentalist reading of the text makes for goofy interpretations, such as that.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        An over fundamentalist reading of the text makes for goofy interpretations, such as that.
        How far would they go with that? Claim Women can't even teach little boys?
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Only transgender left-handed Jainist Inuits with a speech impediment can teach transgender left-handed Jainist Inuits with a speech impediment

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Paul's statement about not letting women teach refers to the church. I don't know to what extent it should be applied to a school.

Comment

There was a case in Kansas a few years ago where a small Christian school kicked a female referee out of a boys' basketball game, citing that scriptural principle. I think the state high school athletics association quickly made a rule where that could no longer be done.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
                From the article there is not enough information to understand the school's justification for its change in practice. And assuming [assuming] the school is appllying the same principles of church overseers as to the school's teaching staff. Are the male teacher's going to be required to be married with grown children? I have to agree, with the information as given, it does not make sense. And that does not even address the cultural and historical arguments.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                  From the article there is not enough information to understand the school's justification for its change in practice. And assuming [assuming] the school is appllying the same principles of church overseers as to the school's teaching staff. Are the male teacher's going to be required to be married with grown children? I have to agree, with the information as given, it does not make sense. And that does not even address the cultural and historical arguments.
                  A bit more background

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    For your brother-from-a-different-mother's sake, I hope the Southern Baptists aren't trending in that direction. Isn't Paige Patterson one of the people standing with Norman Geisler on inerrancy?
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      For your brother-from-a-different-mother's sake, I hope the Southern Baptists aren't trending in that direction.
                      Me too. The entire Michael Pahl incident/fiasco at Cedarville left a bad taste in many folk's mouths

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Isn't Paige Patterson one of the people standing with Norman Geisler on inerrancy?
                      Yup.

Comment

Well I cannot agree with being pro-sexual immorality. I do not agree with generalizing what it means to be Christian either. There is the Biblical Christianity - where it is God who makes the genuine Christians. And the there are those who are called Christian for no other reason than that say they are. And from a non-Christian point of view, that latter definition is the one commonly used. Now Biblical inerrancy has everything to do with its contents origin being with God. God being inerrant. And then there are the real haters, those who hate truth - they hate those who believe truth because it is narrow. It sounds to me that those changes that school is making is being mischaracterized by those who hate truth.
                        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Well I cannot agree with being pro-sexual immorality. I do not agree with generalizing what it means to be Christian either. There is the Biblical Christianity - where it is God who makes the genuine Christians. And the there are those who are called Christian for no other reason than that say they are. And from a non-Christian point of view, that latter definition is the one commonly used. Now Biblical inerrancy has everything to do with its contents origin being with God. God being inerrant. And then there are the real haters, those who hate truth - they hate those who believe truth because it is narrow. It sounds to me that those changes that school is making is being mischaracterized by those who hate truth.
                          I must have missed something in one of the links. How is this about some being pro-sexual immorality?

By the way, I love Truth, not because it is narrow, 'though, but because it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                            I must have missed something in one of the links. How is this about some being pro-sexual immorality?
                            My comment was based in the type of comments known to be made by an author Shane Claiborne who also just happened to have been disinvited to speak at the school. ". . . I am sorry that so often the biggest obstacle to God has been Christians. . . ._ . . . among young non-Christians are that Christians are 1) antigay, 2) judgmental, and 3) hypocritical. So what we have here is a bit of an image crisis, . . ."

By the way, I love Truth, not because it is narrow, 'though, but because it isn't.
                            Then you do not love truth. Since real truth is narrow. Prove otherwise.

Jesus is the only way to God. That is narrow.

Comment

My comment was based in the type of comments known to be made by an author Shane Claiborne who also just happened to have been disinvited to speak at the school. ". . . I am sorry that so often the biggest obstacle to God has been Christians. . . ._ . . . among young non-Christians are that Christians are 1) antigay, 2) judgmental, and 3) hypocritical. So what we have here is a bit of an image crisis, . . ."

Then you do not love truth. Since real truth is narrow. Prove otherwise.

Jesus is the only way to God. That is narrow.
                              Thanks for explaining.

I don't know if I can prove to you that truth is narrow, but consider this. To say that Jesus is the only way to God does not mean that Jesus himself, who is the Truth, is narrow. The love of Christ surpasses understanding. How could that be narrow? The peace of God exceeds all understanding. How could God be narrow? We only know in part as through a glass darkly but later we will know as we ourselves are known by God. In comparison, it may seem that what we know now is narrow, but surely God's knowledge is not narrow or constrained. God's understanding is infinite. God is Truth. Is not God infinitely beyond our ability to understand? How could God be narrow?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X